Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What did I do wrong!

• 24-10-2015 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Hey guys I'm a novice but have built simple circuits with arduino boards so not completely incapable! I've put together a project with an arduino Leo, Ethernet shield and 4 channel relay board to interface with my boiler controls.

The project works well but I'm having problems powering it. I wanted to dispense with the wall wart adaptor and use a 230v to 12v dc transformer and then a 12v to 5v switching psu.

I've used the 12v to 5v switching psu from 12v DC batteries and it's worked fine but connecting them to the 230/12v transformer just cooks them in a couple of mins!

I've burned 2 so don't want to loose any more am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Are you sure it's 12v dc coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's 12v dc coming out?
    I couldn't get a reading on the multi meter I've got 2 230/12v transformers so when the first blew I tried the second with the same result and thought it unlikely that both 230/12v transformers where faulty and must be my design but I did salvage both from electronics destined for the bin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If they're actual transformers then they'll be ac output which is why your meter can't read a dc voltage. You'll need to rectify that output and stick a cap across it before sending it to your 12v -> 5v circuit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭tnegun

That would make sense I had drawn power from one before but it was still plugged into an alarm panel at the time so I guess the panel had a rectifier built in. Thanks for the help!

Advertisement