Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensitive ads.

Options
  • 24-10-2015 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Is it just me or do the ads seem very sensitive?

While I have to click into a thread, the ads carry me to another page when I scroll by.

Is this just me, are my thumbs the problem?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Is it just me or do the ads seem very sensitive?

While I have to click into a thread, the ads carry me to another page when I scroll by.

Is this just me, are my thumbs the problem?

Every single time. I have clicked fx pro about a thousand times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Some seem to be way more sensitive than others, which seems a bit suspicious to my very cynical mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Every single time. I have clicked fx pro about a thousand times

Same here, it's just adding to the recent frustrations of using this site.

Traffic must be way down right across the board as posters drift towards more user friendly forms of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

24 hours and no mod telling the OP it's his fault?

It's a problem that's been highlighted several times but boards have no intention of fixing it because every 'accidental' click makes them money.

Some are clearly more sensitive than others (sick clicking on that farmer's journal ad) but I found after browsing a certain site their ads were the ones popping up, and are a lot less sensitive. Every time other ads creep in I go back to the site and the problems pretty much gone. Sh!tty having to resort to that, but it's the best workaround to make the site useable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I can vouch for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I can vouch for this.

Me too. So damn annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Turtyturd wrote: »
    It's a problem that's been highlighted several times but boards have no intention of fixing it because every 'accidental' click makes them money.

They don't actually, we're paid for ads displayed, not ads clicked, but never let the truth get in the way of a good rant :D

There's nothing we've implemented that makes ads more or less sensitive - I'm honestly not even sure if that's a thing we can have any control over, but I will look into it.

As I've mentioned several times previously, Google Ads quality control over these things is drastically lacking in and there is no punitive action taken against advertisers that keep breaking their rules and deliberately mislabel their ads as something they're not. It does suggest to me that if there's some sort of "catchment area" on a touch screen that can be expanded beyond the boundaries of the ad, this is where it's happening, but that's only a theory - I really don't know enough about the technology behind it to give any kind of qualified suggestion.

And just in case it's not immediately apparent to all of you, the ads causing problems is a MAJOR issue for us, all it does is encourage people to install an adblocker when these things keep happening and that's the last thing we want - these ads are quite literally the difference between us being able to pay the bills or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Skyscanner Ad is nearly stopping the clicking of the Thread above it now....so like, near 2cm of a reach more than the actual visual Ad on the Screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Some definitely more sensitive than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Is it possible to actually grab the code for these ads? If that can be done, it will just be a matter of looking at the code, to see that the ads are deliberately abusive, through stepping outside their visual borders.

The problem then is, I don't think Boards is capable of having any control over that, with no way of stopping it (other than on a 'whack-a-mole' basis, blacklisting one ad, just for another to pop up shortly after) - despite being ultimately responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

The I.G ad is the worst. The merest brush opens it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They do seem to have got a bit more sensitive, I must open the Fade Street Social one every time it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Oftentimes I'll accidentally click on an ad and when I back out of it it goes back to the site I was on before Boards..

OP again. The ads have being going mad the last 2-3 days. The number of times I've been redirected today for no apparent reason is in double digits.

I know I must be touching it but Jesus, if I breath in the screen it goes to an ad, an oftentimes it seems they are outside of their space. Very, very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I had a friend visiting me just over a week ago and she raised this point with me. I took her phone from her and started testing this out. I tapped all over the page, near to an ad and away from it. I swiped through the ads, I long pressed and dragged my finger through the ads, etc: again nothing.

So we spent the next few minutes comparing how we use the site/browser/device because I'm more keen than anyone to get to the bottom of this if it is happening. She pointed out that I seem to have a more definite and firm contact against the screen and that she probably was forming less of a contact point with the screen as her fingers moved.

Now I'm well aware of how this might sound a bit "well you're not using the device properly" but that's not where I'm going at all. It's given me something to work with as a means of attempting to replicate these issues. That is, however, the only thing I have been able to come up with.

Dav wrote: »
    I had a friend visiting me just over a week ago and she raised this point with me. I took her phone from her and started testing this out. I tapped all over the page, near to an ad and away from it. I swiped through the ads, I long pressed and dragged my finger through the ads, etc: again nothing.

So we spent the next few minutes comparing how we use the site/browser/device because I'm more keen than anyone to get to the bottom of this if it is happening. She pointed out that I seem to have a more definite and firm contact against the screen and that she probably was forming less of a contact point with the screen as her fingers moved.

Now I'm well aware of how this might sound a bit "well you're not using the device properly" but that's not where I'm going at all. It's given me something to work with as a means of attempting to replicate these issues. That is, however, the only thing I have been able to come up with.

Well that's probably true, when I press down and swipe to consciously avoid the ad it's fine. But just normal scrolling tends to set it off.

There's probably something in that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

If I click into that ad for the Limerick dentist once more, I'm gonna get a complex about my teeth!!!!! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

If you gently touch a nettle it'll sting you for your pains;
    grasp it like a lad of mettle, an' as soft as silk remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Can ads just be made to open on double-taps instead? (and in case of risk of confusion/lost-clicks, on the first tap, just pop up a 5 second text hint saying "tap a second time to open" or such)

This probably can't be done, since it's entirely third-party code, but there are ridiculously easy solutions to these problems, that the ad providers could implement if they weren't motivated to deliberately seek accidental clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Has there been some change in ad sizing recently?
    I'm seeing really tall narrow ads in the last few days which are adding a lot of needless white space and scrolling on the touch site

• Advertisement

Been getting 1500 px tall ads the last few days and the Fade St Social ad goes through all the time. Just that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Every single day, numerous times I hit the add for the uber app- which opens up the app store! So annoying! And I already have that app

Advertisement