Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carers benefit suddenly stopped

• 24-10-2015 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I am a carer for my mother with dementia I has a lot of payments out in the last few months I was checking my statement online today and noticed that my last payment in from social welfare has been on 27th August I have hardly any balance now and am worried. I got no notification why it stopped as it just went in direct debit all the time. Unfortunately I can't check today as they are all closed and dont have voicemail I dont know why they would have done this without me knowing :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Carers benefit is only payable for 104 weeks, then you have to claim carers allowance. This should have been on the letter acknowledging your entitlement. I stopped work to care for my mum in July 2013, claimed carers benefit from that time and my entitlement stopped 104 weeks later in July 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thing is I have been looking after my Mam since March 2013 and was getting it since 27th August this year then just stopped nothing no phone call letter to tell me anything. Freaking out now as I dont work and depend on that money I don't want to be dipping into my future savings cos I need that for a nursing home down the line. If I am going on allowance which I dont think I will be why dont they let me know?? I have been getting 205 no problem for 2.5 years surely if it is at the end of 104 wks should they not contact me and let me know instead of me hanging for 6wks with no benefit coming in

Your post is confusing, have you only been claiming carer's benefit since 27/08/15 or have you been claiming for 2.5 years?
    When you are awarded carer's benefit, your letter of entitlement will tell you the date it will stop. The dept will not tell you again, nearer the time. If you have been paid it for longer than 104 weeks then you have been overpaid and it will stop. I'm not sure what the rules are regarding paying back any overpayments. You need to ring them on Tuesday. If you're no longer entitled to carer's benefit then you can make a claim for carer's allowance.

Oh I see I started get Carers benefit about March 2013 so guess it is up now if they sent a letter that time telling me the date it would stop I just presumed they would let you know cos I probably didnt keep a letter from 2.5 years ago. When you get a letter from a hospital for a check up in a year they usually send you a reminder letter again nearer the date. With so much going on in a carers life I wouldnt remember a date from a letter I got 2.5 years ago. I will go up to them on Tuesday anyway cos I can never get them on the phone.

They just stopped mine, but I knew it was coming. I'm surprised they kept paying you, they're usually on top of those things. Do go into them and make your new claim.

• Advertisement

I am not sure of system do I automatically get accessed for benefit again or you only allowed for benefit 104 wks and that it you have to go on allowance then? I might ring the place in Longford to check first worried about the CA form as I am married but broke up with husband and he is not living here so I am paying bills do I still have to get his payslips and all earnings he is just contributing mortgage but nothing else as he is renting now. My mam also has an empty house in the country not rented so do I mention that to I'm worried if I say my husbands earnings and Mams house they will think we have tons of money which we dont and reject my claim. I need to keep my savings/Mam savings for Mams nursing home in the future so I need money to be coming in weekly. So nervous I will get nothing from them as I have no salary coming in I care 24/7

im not sure if your claim is new in the respect that you have to provide all medical evidence again.
    You are making the claim so only you and your spouse's income is considered-your mother's property does not fall under your assets. Im not sure what the rules are regarding separated couples, I think they will need evidence that you are separated ie maybe his tenancy agreement proving he no longer resides with you, but Im not sure.

Advertisement