Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless payment

• 24-10-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Having a contactless card and using it frequently I knew the amount was due to rise from €15 to €30 sometime in October. In Aldi last week I was told it had risen in the budget so it was now €30, however other shops locally have not raised it yet and I was wondering was it not a banking decision not a shop decision?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

piperh wrote: »
    Having a contactless card and using it frequently I knew the amount was due to rise from €15 to €30 sometime in October. In Aldi last week I was told it had risen in the budget so it was now €30, however other shops locally have not raised it yet and I was wondering was it not a banking decision not a shop decision?

It's going to take time to update some any Credit Card Machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Aldi have done it before the budget. It's not officially due to rise until October 31st.

And it's also not up to shops, it's the bank who sets the limit. Shops can only allow contactless or not, limits aren't up to them. I don't know why aldi had it so soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    Aldi have done it before the budget. It's not officially due to rise until October 31st.

And it's also not up to shops, it's the bank who sets the limit. Shops can only allow contactless or not, limits aren't up to them. I don't know why aldi had it so soon.

Ahh thank you. Yes I thought it would be a bank decision it just seemed odd it was increased in aldi and not in others. I suppose if as it increased in the uk they might have rolled it out in all stores.

Ahh thank you. Yes I thought it would be a bank decision it just seemed odd it was increased in aldi and not in others. I suppose if as it increased in the uk they might have rolled it out in all stores.

I was thinking the same thing actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

My local frozen food shop had it at €30 last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It's actually the credit card company e.g. Visa that changed the limit. It had nothing to do with the Budget other than the Minister mentioning it in his speech.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    It's actually the credit card company e.g. Visa that changed the limit. It had nothing to do with the Budget other than the Minister mentioning it in his speech.

Bank actually mentioned it a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/spending-limit-on-contactless-payment-cards-set-to-double-31171654.html

Visa Europe, confirming the limit increase to €30, said it "reflects the growth in popularity of contactless transactions in Ireland and the rest of Europe, following a 130pc rise in usage over the past year.

"The new payment limit will open up a new range of opportunities to use the technology.

"For example, the new €30 limit will make it possible to pay for an item of clothing or small basket of shopping in a supermarket."

Plenty of mention before the Budget but once again as evidenced in above article its the card company increased the limit -not the Minister or the banks.

Incidentally has anyone heard when Apple Pay should reach us? I mean how hard can it be to launch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I understand with contactless payment that every 1 out of ten or similar figure of transactions will require a PIN for security reasons. What exactly will happen so you know to put in your pin, does the terminal light up green to say you can pay contactless and red when you can't or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

I understand with contactless payment that every 1 out of ten or similar figure of transactions will require a PIN for security reasons. What exactly will happen so you know to put in your pin, does the terminal light up green to say you can pay contactless and red when you can't or what?

I've had this happen already.

What happens is that it rejects the contactless payment and displays a message to the tune of "For security reasons please confirm payment via PIN" (not the exact message)

Then you just insert your card, put in the pin etc as though it were a normal payment without contactless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭june2015

Has anyone else found that contactless payments are taking a few days before they're showing up as debited from your account. I've disabled the feature on my card for this reason. It's no good a debit taking several days to show us as taken from your available funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

june2015 wrote: »
    Has anyone else found that contactless payments are taking a few days before they're showing up as debited from your account. I've disabled the feature on my card for this reason. It's no good a debit taking several days to show us as taken from your available funds.

Yep, takes much longer and doesn't appear in my online Pending Transactions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Yep, takes much longer and doesn't appear in my online Pending Transactions

I don't understand why this is a problem It shows immediately on the banks system so what they can't show it for the customer is annoying puts me off a little from using contactless.

I don't understand why this is a problem It shows immediately on the banks system so what they can't show it for the customer is annoying puts me off a little from using contactless.

Shows up on mine straight away.

No, it does not. Contactless is fast because it does not go online for an authorisation, which is how one can also speed over ones available balance.

Your Bank will not see the transaction unless it clears through the Visa network, so one overnight for the Shop to Batch in, and potentially another overnight to get through to your bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Has this come in yet? I thought the limit increased from the 31st Oct?

I tried in a few shops this week and the contactless payment is getting rejected. The value ranged from 15-25 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I've seen it in Dunnes already, that was two weeks ago actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

No, it does not. Contactless is fast because it does not go online for an authorisation, which is how one can also speed over ones available balance.

Your Bank will not see the transaction unless it clears through the Visa network, so one overnight for the Shop to Batch in, and potentially another overnight to get through to your bank.

Yes, it does. I bank with AIB I made a contactless payment and I rang them 15 minutes after the transaction and it was showing on there system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

It's a mandate from Visa and MasterCard.

€20 and over transactions will go online for Auth.

Transactions between €30-€999,999.99 will require device verification(ApplePay). If you try using just your card for one of these you will be prompted to insert the chip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I rang AIB, BOI and PTSB and all three said it came in on the 31st Oct. As The Mig says above it wasn't a bank decision but the card issuers.

Yes, it does. I bank with AIB I made a contactless payment and I rang them 15 minutes after the transaction and it was showing on there system.

What was the value of the transaction. I am also AIB, and contactless transactions don't appear as pending transactions for a day or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

What was the value of the transaction. I am also AIB, and contactless transactions don't appear as pending transactions for a day or two.

I'm with ptsb and often use contactless and these take a couple of days, the highest amount I've used it for though is €17 so perhaps ig goes online at €20.

Advertisement