Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea ceiling lights & led bulbs

Options
  • 24-10-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Second fixing a new build and looking at ikea for some of the ceiling lights and the bathroom lights what's the quality like, are the worth using or would you be better off going to a lighting store.
    Also what are their own brand led bulbs like and how do they compare cost wise.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Their led bulbs are very good value, I have a good many of them around the place. The dimmable GU10s are particularly cheap at five euros. Not all of their bulbs are dimmable though.
    Any of the light fittings I've bought are adequate, not brilliant but again they're very cheap.
    The biggest issue is getting the cup to stay up on their pendants TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

If you want quality LEDs. Eurosales in Glasnevin have a massive range. They arent cheap, but they are the best. They have literally hundreds of bulbs, light fittings you wont find elsewhere. The best thing I got from them was LED under counter lights. They make the kitchen so much more impressive.

Personally I still think the best lighting for a bathroom is the flat CFL bathroom lights. They look like something from an office. But they are the best by far. Get a heat pad for your bathroom. I stayed in a hotel with one on the mirror and decided to put one in my new bathroom. Its great when you leave the shower, that a portion(I didnt get one the whole size of my mirror) of your mirror has no condensation on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Looking at a few of these for the rooms that won't be finished (decorated)

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/lighting/ceiling-lights/lock-ceiling-lamp-white-art-00055691/

Out of stock at the moment but hoping they'll get them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I bought 3 ikea bulbs for an ikea large floor standing lamp and the noise of them!!!!! I cannot use them they are making such crazy noise.
    Any advice??

@newacc2015
    Ive de-mister pads for all the bathroom mirrors

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

hexosan wrote: »
    @newacc2015
    Ive de-mister pads for all the bathroom mirrors

I thought they would be a bit of a waste of money. They are honestly the best €30 I have ever spent.

If you go to a proper electrical store. They sell different shades of white. Some LEDs can be too "cold". Like the way so CFLs are too "cold". A proper electrical store can sell LEDs with a nice warm tone. IMO 3000k is the best tone.

AFAIK the lumens on the Phillips LEDs are far greater than the IKEA ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 obrien88

amdublin wrote: »
    I bought 3 ikea bulbs for an ikea large floor standing lamp and the noise of them!!!!! I cannot use them they are making such crazy noise.
    Any advice??

Don't buy cheap ikea electrical products, they are s***e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I've bought about a dozen of the GU10's......they're about 6watt and are roughly equivalent to a 50watt halogen.

Well worth the money in my opinion....I've had them a good while now and no complaints...

exaisle wrote: »
    I've bought about a dozen of the GU10's......they're about 6watt and are roughly equivalent to a 50watt halogen.

Well worth the money in my opinion....I've had them a good while now and no complaints...

Get what you pay for with LED bulbs. You want quality buy Phillips etc, you want cheap and cheerful do a job, buy from ikea. IKEA are a furniture store

obrien88 wrote: »
    Get what you pay for with LED bulbs. You want quality buy Phillips etc, you want cheap and cheerful do a job, buy from ikea. IKEA are a furniture store

Well in their defence they are the largest furniture store on the planet.

• Advertisement

hexosan wrote: »
    Well in their defence they are the largest furniture store on the planet.

The furniture is fantastic, love the furniture. The light fittings are crap, but if buying don't forget to buy hooks that they don't seem to provide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

IKEA are a furniture store
    As somebody that appreciates good furniture. No they are not. They are simply a cheap goods store imo.

2 stroke wrote: »
    As somebody that appreciates good furniture. No they are not. They are simply a cheap goods store imo.

And those goods are....furniture! :)

Mod Edit
    Obrien88 you are approaching personal abuse , I assume it was not intended in that way, but please dont repeat thank you

For what they offer regarding quality and strength for the price they are brilliant.

Don't forget design.

Advertisement