Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerlifting for beginners

• 24-10-2015 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

After many failed attempts at keeping up consistent training at home with dumb bells I'm thinking of finally taking the plunge and learning how to powerlift. I play football and rock climb a few times a week and cycle most places but want to get stronger and learn good form and technique. So far I've come across a few places that seem to meet my needs but none of them are perfect for me at the moment. These are:

Fit Studios Fairview Strength Camp - Seem to have a great reputation and the course seems to match my needs but the days of each class Tues/Thurs/Sat don't suit at all. I'm leaning towards these guys most but would mean dropping other stuff which I'm not too keen on.

Abs Gym Glasnevin - Have a class for beginners on Sunday morning but Sunday is my only day of rest so probably not suitable because of this.

Andy Kenny Fitness - Seems to have a good rep for other classes but don't know what his weight training technique classes are like. I like that the classes are limited to five people but they are only 30 minutes long which seems a bit short to me.

So anyone have any other suggestions? On the northside of Dublin, good reputation, friendly for beginners and good value are all the things I'm looking for.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

COH wrote: »

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 firstofficerp

Yeah I've heard a good bit about them too but their website has little info. Do they do have classes for beginners? Do you pay for a membership fee or pay per class/course? Any info greatly appreciated. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Yeah I've heard a good bit about them too but their website has little info. Do they do have classes for beginners? Do you pay for a membership fee or pay per class/course? Any info greatly appreciated. Cheers!

You pay by the month for a set amount of classes (I think they also do set 12 week course type things as well though that you can opt for). There's no "beginners class" but you'll be given proper personal instruction on everything so you're lifting correctly and safely. You won't feel like a beginner for very long. Also, the mentoring is ongoing; just because you've learned how to deadlift correctly, doesn't mean the lads won't be watching you to make sure you don't develop bad habits. I trained in RevFit for a year and had been training for 2.5 years before that and still got corrected on my technique whenever I got lax. Really couldn't recommend it more highly, particularly now that they've moved to the new premises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Give us €38.75 per week for the next 12 weeks and we'll turn you into a brick sh1t house.

We've coached everyone from guys who've never lifted, to women with some of the best squats in the country (...and everything in between).

If you want to chat a bit more in private about it - mail me on james@revolutionfitness.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 firstofficerp

Cheers for the suggestions folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

You might be suprized but even just youtube and a broomstick at home will do wonder for your motor movement control before attending any classes

Advertisement