Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World laptop Cashback?

Options
  • 24-10-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I bought a MacBook in the UK which qualified for the £100 cashback and I was told I could claim it back in Ireland. When I tried to do it, I was told I needed a UK bank account, and it wouldn't work on the Irish site either.
    Is there anything I could do? I don't know anyone with a UK bank account.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Did you buy in-store or online? Who advised you the deal could be claimed against DSG Ireland and did you make it clear you meant the republic not NI?

If you feel you were mis-sold the deal then you could ask them to honour it anyway, or seek an appropriate* partial refund or reject the contract (return the machine and get a full refund). You may need to go to the Small Claims Court to get any redress.

*If the deal is similar to their current trade-in on Windows machines then you may not get £100 refund if you don't supply your old machine

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PM_

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Did you buy in-store or online? Who advised you the deal could be claimed against DSG Ireland and did you make it clear you meant the republic not NI?

If you feel you were mis-sold the deal then you could ask them to honour it anyway, or seek an appropriate* partial refund or reject the contract (return the machine and get a full refund). You may need to go to the Small Claims Court to get any redress.

*If the deal is similar to their current trade-in on Windows machines then you may not get £100 refund if you don't supply your old machine

I bought it in-store. The people working there weren't too sure and said I should be able to, and the man asked a colleague and he too said I could. I only have a few days to claim it anyway so it's not a big deal but a bit of cash like that would be nice.

Thanks for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Curry's will say anything to make a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Curry's will say anything to make a sale.

+1 sadly this seems to be the case. The OP was in a UK store and asked if he could make the rebate claim when back in Ireland, the sales guy knew he could gave a recklessly false answer to complete the sale and didn't have to worry about the consequences.

This is a mirror of what happens in the independent electronics stores in New York city as exposed by several US TV consumer programs. Customer goes in and enquires about some class of a gadget. Chatty sales guy asks him how long he's in NYC and the customer then commits the fatal error of saying that he's going home the next day at which point he is a sucker for the hard sell and the product switch - an inferior or US-only (110V) product is swapped in at the last minute, something that the hapless customer will only discover when he gets home and can do nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's try not to make generic Currys-bashing comments, but instead offer advice to the OP.

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement