Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you copy recordings from UPC/Virgin Box to USB stick or DVD?

Options
  • 24-10-2015 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I don't want to do anything 'dodgy' but I have to replace my Horizon box with an updated one which will mean losing all recordings. I don't mind losing most of it but there are two programmes I would like to keep/copy as they involve people I know personally in the audience and so for sentimental reasons (one of them has since passed away) I don't want to lose these recordings. Am not very techie minded and would appreciate if anyone could give an 'idiot proof' guide to extracting these two programmes onto a stick before I replace the box - if that's possible. Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi, I don't want to do anything 'dodgy' but I have to replace my Horizon box with an updated one which will mean losing all recordings. I don't mind losing most of it but there are two programmes I would like to keep/copy as they involve people I know personally in the audience and so for sentimental reasons (one of them has since passed away) I don't want to lose these recordings. Am not very techie minded and would appreciate if anyone could give an 'idiot proof' guide to extracting these two programmes onto a stick before I replace the box - if that's possible. Many thanks!
    No you can't copy them as they are encrypted

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tonyfillony

You could try and bring it into those crowds who convert old tapes to dvd , im sure they would have some kind of equipment to record from HDMI

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

massy086 wrote: »
    No you can't copy them as they are encrypted

Well, in the days of the vcr, you could copy from the Sky box, with no problems re encryption. I suspect its the same with UPC, as Sky are light years ahead of UPC in the encryption game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

There is a way to do it, however unlikely anyone not tech savvy will be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I have a digital version of the old VCR and it has a 250BG HD made by Philips, it records and you can copy out to USB or burn a DVD directly as it has a RW-DVD . I don't use it anymore so I might put it on ebay some day. I'm sure you will find one of them on ebay.

It also does the pause tv and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You should be able to copy them by

playing them and then recording what is played in real time.
    Not much use for long running video, but might do fo the couple you need.

Advertisement