Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheese Competition - Your cheese suggestions

Options
  • 24-10-2015 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of an odd one, but I am looking for suggestions for unusual or excellent cheeses, Irish or otherwise. (Irish would be especially welcome though)

Some friends are organising their annual dinner party with a twist, basically everyone brings a cheese, there is a tasting and the best cheese wins.

There are no criteria or limitations on the type of cheese, but I suspect that it is judged on a combination of appearance, taste, smell and novelty factor.

I am a massive cheese fiend and naturally, am determined to come up with something exciting. Important to note that I am based in London, so I have access to Borough Market and the likes.

So I am looking to get your suggestions for a cheese that perhaps isn't so well known, or a bit niche, something different but most importantly that tastes great.

Everyone attending can submit one cheese, but as its mostly couples that means I can enter two.

So don't be shy, lets be havin ya!

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Humming Bark! My favourite cheese and it has a bit of novelty with the spruce bark around it.
    I know it's available in London too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I got some sticky toffee cheese from supervalu the other day.
    Incredibly moreish!
    Not sure if u can get it there though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If you want something seriously left-field, try Brunost, Norwegian caramel cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Shenshen wrote: »
    If you want something seriously left-field, try Brunost, Norwegian caramel cheese.

That USED to be available in Selfridges , got it a couple of time it's truly wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you want Irish and are not so bothered by the novelty factor, if you can get it in the UK, Coolea extra mature is a really fantastic, slightly crumbly hard cheese. I've never seen anyone try it for the first time and not be hugely impressed.
    I describe it as salty fudge cheese!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you want Irish and are not so bothered by the novelty factor, if you can get it in the UK, Coolea extra mature is a really fantastic, slightly crumbly hard cheese. I've never seen anyone try it for the first time and not be hugely impressed. I describe it as salty fudge cheese!

Should be available in neals yard.... ask what ages they've got get the oldest they have ( mimimum 18 months)
    If you can get hold of some crozier blue....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Markcheese wrote: »
    If you can get hold of some crozier blue....
    I love this too ... as close to Roquefort as you can get without it actually being Roquefort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Corleggy do an amazing hard gouda-type goats cheese

I got the Cloonconra Cheese in the market today. Sweet mother divine it's a beautiful soft cheese, slightly crumbly soft if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Crozier blue would be my dinner party star too. It's a sheep's cheese... Won't be too many of those brought to the party maybe? And as requested, Irish of course, the stronger, older brother of Cashel blue. It's not for the lovers of a mild cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

After dinner cheese shouldnt be mild anyway ... ( personal ,sweeping generalization passed off as fact)
    My other current fave is cais na tire . Stupid name ,brilliant brilliant hard,sweet, grainy sheeps cheese, from north tipp . As to wether or not you can get it in the uk ... again I'd try neals yard .
    Or google it .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Feta. No one ever thinks of feta. Some good quality feta is a joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

So to update proceedings, the ejudicator aka "Le Grand Fromage" has recently updated us with the names of some previous winners, apparently there is no rhyme or reason to the selections:

-Epoisses (of course)
    -Lancaster bomber (cheddar, go figure!)
    -Charcoal rolled goats cheese

I have decided on two of three so far:

#1 - representing Ireland - Humming Bark cow's cheese (thanks Kovu!):

?format=500w

#2 - representing France - Banon - eau-de-vie soaked, chestnut leaf wrapped goats cheese from Provence:

?format=750w

#3 Wildcard/sub still to be decided... perhaps a ewe's milk cheese to round out the trio?

Keep your suggestions coming and thanks to all who have contributed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I hope I'm not too late!

Have you considered Golden Cenarth? It's from Wales and it's honestly one of the most delicious cheeses I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Why not try making a nice mozzarella.

It's a great achievement,

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Fried Halloumi love it with everything.

Smoked Gubeen or knockanore smoked with some relish and oatcakes yum

So how did ye get on with the baby cheesus? :D

Advertisement