Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network dropping to my Sat reciever

Options
  • 24-10-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for some advise to resolve an issue with my home network connection continually dropping on my Sat receiver when watching TV.

First off my provider is UPC and I subscribe for a 120mb fibre connection and the router is a Technicolor TC7200 which is placed immediately inside the front door of my home.

Currently I connect to an Amiko Alien sat receiver via home plugs and also via a Wifi dongle. The Sat reciever is approx. 50ft from from the router in an extended part of my home which has its own sub fuse board. I have test the sat receiver on other TVs in the house and it works perfectly.

Typically there are multiple devices connected to the router at any one time. The wifi signal is broadcast at 2.4ghz and I find that I need to log in to the router every few days to change the channel due to the network speed reducing to a crawl on account of congestion/ interference. I have tried 5ghz but it will not give coverage to the whole house.

I have been doing a lot of reading on boards.ie to resolve the connection dropping to my Sat receiver and hear a lot on the topic of bridging.

Is this possible with the Technicolor TC7200?
    Can anyone offer any suggestions to solve this issue?

The other brands of old routers that I have are Thomson TG585, Netopia 2247NWG, Aolynk DR814 and I was planning to use one of these as the other link in the network bridge.

Apologies for the long winded thread but I have read to much on this I have ended up in a state of confusion.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Run a cable or use homeplugs, wireless to the Amiko is another variable you don't need

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

If the extended part of the house has its own fuse board, is there a chance that there is a seperate electrical circuit installed there? If that is so, the Homeplugs may not work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

If the extended part of the house has its own fuse board, is there a chance that there is a seperate electrical circuit installed there? If that is so, the Homeplugs may not work at all.

Yes. Get a set in Argos and keep the packaging, they've a 14 day money back guarantee, no quibbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TheCeltictiger

Thanks for the feedback everybody,

I am no electrician so other then knowing that we have a sub fuse board in the extension part of the house and this runs back to meter.

When I go to the network settings in my Sat box it will connect via Ethernet using home plugs but the connection continually drops as it does when it is connected over wifi.

I was hoping that it would be possible to bridge anther router to my UPC Technicolor router and have this in the general location of my Sat Box.

Not sure if this would help or if it is possible or for that matter how to go about it.

Again any suggestions to get solid coverage in the extension part of my house is appreciated.

Regards,
    TheCeltictiger

Advertisement