Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help for €900 gaming pc

Options
  • 24-10-2015 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

1. What is your budget? €900 can go a bit over if needed

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming Fallout 4 Star wars battlefront and other games aswell.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No
    5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] NO

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] Keyboard, mouse wireless card and headset

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] debit card

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days] ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.] I don't need help building it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 4460 €175
    GTX970 €350
    H81M €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €50
    Case €50
    1tb HDD €50
    250gb SSD €90
    Total €850

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

i5 4460 €175
    GTX970 €350
    H81M €50
    8gb RAM €40
    500w PSU €50
    Case €50
    1tb HDD €50
    250gb SSD €90
    Total €850

Would it not be better to go with an i7 just to future proof it a little? Games are getting more demanding every day.

I wouldn't think so, i3s one more than enough for almost every game, I'd say that this i5 will be obsolete long before an i7 becomes necessary

Adding an i7 will mean dropping the GPU or SSD, which isn't worth the change

I wouldn't think so, i3s one more than enough for almost every game, I'd say that this i5 will be obsolete long before an i7 becomes necessary

Adding an i7 will mean dropping the GPU or SSD, which isn't worth the change

He did say he can go over a little. And swapping an SSD for a HDD isn't a bad idea either. The SSD just makes boot times a little faster.

He could also drop the SSD get an i7 and pick up an SSD after. Upgrading your CPU in 2/3 weeks is madness popping an SSD in wouldn't be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    He could also drop the SSD get an i7 and pick up an SSD after. Upgrading your CPU in 2/3 weeks is madness popping an SSD in wouldn't be.

Reinstalling your OS and reconfiguring your entire storage setup just 2/3 weeks after setting it up seems like a massive unnecessary pain in the hole to me. Particularly as there's no benefit at all in getting an i7.

I've a HDD and an SSD there anyways.

Why would he upgrade the CPU in 2/3 weeks? Games arent moving that fast, maybe in 2-3 years an i7 might have an edge. i3=i5=i7 at this price range for nearly every game.

This is all my opinion obviously, but the general consensus, which I agree with is that an i7 isn't needed for gaming.

Advertisement