Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS: slow browsing of photos

Options
  • 24-10-2015 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I have bought a NAS, a QNAP TS-251, that I have equipped with two 4 TB HDD in RAID 1.
    I saved all my files and photos in there.
    I find that the photos are a bit slow to load on the PC when I want to browse them with ACDSee. The photos are jpg about 8-10 MB each.
    Is it normal, or has it something to do with the RAM (1 GB) in the NAS? I know that someone upgrades their NAS up to 8 GB of RAM, but I think it's just for heavy video files.
    Any hint?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thumbnails can be a bit of a pain browsing shares. When you open the directory it has to get a copy of *every* full file, then crop it down to thumb size. Locally thats easy enough, over your network that can chug a bit.

Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and open the network performance tab in the task manager. Then connect to your nas and browse images. See if the network usage spikes very high. If it does chances are you're on a 100Mb network card, not a 1Gb card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

ED E wrote: »
    Thumbnails can be a bit of a pain browsing shares. When you open the directory it has to get a copy of *every* full file, then crop it down to thumb size. Locally thats easy enough, over your network that can chug a bit.

I remember that when I uploaded all the files to the NAS it created thumbnails of each photo, so I reckon that it's using those tiny files to show the content of a directory. Am I wrong?
    Hit CTRL-SHIFT-ESC and open the network performance tab in the task manager. Then connect to your nas and browse images. See if the network usage spikes very high. If it does chances are you're on a 100Mb network card, not a 1Gb card.

:eek::eek: I have just found out that it's transferring all files over the wireless connection rather than the ethernet.
    No ethernet cable was connected between the PC and the router.

Anyway, now there is, but I think it's still working over the wi-fi.
    Is it too much trouble for you to explain how to tell the PC to use the cable instead of wireless? I am very clumsy when it comes to network connections... :(
    Thanks so much!

EDIT: Forget the last two lines :-)
    I found out how to connect it via cable and works fine, now it's much quicker and I can browse my photos in a blink of an eye!
    The network usage is 75% when I browse quickly. Is it still a problem?
    All the network is 1 Gb.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I found out how to connect it via cable and works fine, now it's much quicker and I can browse my photos in a blink of an eye!
    The network usage is 75% when I browse quickly. Is it still a problem?
    All the network is 1 Gb.
    Thanks again!

Nope, that just means wireless will have a hard time keeping up. At 75% you're using 750Mbps approx in browsing, wireless typically does 50Mbps, maxes about 200Mbps with current high end hardware. Thats why wired flys in comparison.

The NAS probably made thumbnails for its own UI(the web view of it/its software) but your laptop will use its own thumbnails system(part of windows), thus the high activity levels.

Advertisement