Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken socket

Options
  • 24-10-2015 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just stupidly tripped over a charger that was plugged into a socket in my living room, and cracked the plastic casing of the socket.

How much can I expect to pay an electrician to replace the casing for me? Or can it be done easily enough myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

Dead easy diy job.

1. Buy a replacement socket

2. Turn off power.

3. Remove the old socket and put on the new one taking care to replace the wires in the correct terminals.

4. Turn power back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Not dangerous, once the electricity is turned off? I'm new to electrical diy. Would an electrician charge a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If you rang one up and asked, I sure one would be able to give you a price over the phone.

It's a simple job and won't take long.

IF YOU DO DECIDE TO DO IT YOURSELF,
    make sure the power is off,
    pay attention to where the wires are currently connected
    When you remove the existing wires check them for damage
    When you put the wires into the new socket make sure the correct wires go to the correct terminals. (May not be arranged in the same positions/order as your old socket)
    Make sure all the strands are gripped with the terminal screws.
    Make sure all connections are tight.
    When refitting the socket to the wall make sure no wires are trapped under the securing screws etc.
    Only then can you turn the power back on.

Sometimes it's just safer and quicker to get a professional than attempting something yourself, especially if you have never done anything like it before.

Advertisement