Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What control scheme do you use?

• 24-10-2015 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I use the arrow keys instead of WASD, I've played that way for the past 20 years.

Is WASD in overwhelming use? Or do people use the arrow keys commonly enough as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

WASD here, since as long as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

WASD I don't think Id be comfortable enough using anything else too used to it now although I'm sure the arrow keys would be fine just everything else around it would throw me off. A friend of mine is left handed and some games make it so bloody hard to remap the movement keys to something decent especially fps games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

Wasd. How do you use arrows? Do you have to move the keyboard way over to the left?

Wasd actually cos your fingers better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

WASD. Contemplating TFGH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Whenever I can - FPS games - I use the NumPad. Have been doing it for years and it hasn't let me down yet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

WASD for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Why try and reinvent the wheel :)

wsad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

DEFAULT!!!!

WASD never ever change keys in a game cos i then forget said keys.

Play as is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I used arrows until I was about 12 and then I stopped being a weirdo and got with the program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I type Dvorak so whatever the WASD combination for that is. Tried ESDF but I didn't like it, it felt too far away from CRTL and Shift. Used the arrow keys until I was about 14, thought WASD was stupid cos of the surrounding keys getting in the way.

Arrow keys feel too far away from the rest of the buttons for me.

Controller for when its essential, e.g. Dark Souls, Brothers ATOTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I used the arrow keys for years but eventually gave it up and moved to WASD as I got a pain in me hoop reconfiguring keys all the time
    I now prefer using the WASD keys and have a backlit keyboard for night gaming

I bought a Saitek Cyborg Command Unit years ago but never used it and I tried to get it to work lately but it is incompatible with the more modern OS's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Zillah wrote: »
    I used arrows until I was about 12 and then I stopped being a weirdo and got with the program.

This. Fortunately Minecraft has been teaching WSAD early to the next generation of gamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When RTS games aren't WASD I remind myself why I hate RTS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

ESDF is superior to WASD, particularly if you're a touch-typist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

too much remapping, plus you'd hit the Win key every time you try to crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Skerries wrote: »
    I now prefer using the WASD keys and have a backlit keyboard for night gaming

You mean you can't find the wasd keys without a light on? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I use the arrow keys instead of WASD, I've played that way for the past 20 years.

Is WASD in overwhelming use? Or do people use the arrow keys commonly enough as well?

WASD as you have more keys around you to use then the arrow keys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

My hand automatically rests on WASD, even when I'm not playing a game :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was an arrow gamer as well, till i got sick of having to remap keys. Still use middle mouse to jump in most games though :P

My brother used to use the num pad for games. Always knew he was an odd ball :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

RDFG because WASD is for sheep :P

Seriously though, the additional 2 rows of keys to use with RDFG convinced me back in 97 when I first started to use a mouse and keyboard for Quake. It is a pain in the tits having to rebind every game (and it is even twice as bad when game have separate controls for land and air vehicles and there's no "copy" option). The worst offender is something like MGS5 that doesn't remap the keys at all for menus and doesn't let you use the mouse - but #FucKonami.

I also have 4 thumb buttons on my mouse, I don't know what I'm going to do if I ever have to change to something with less thumb buttons. They're my sprint/melee/grenade/<game specific function here> so I can stay moving accurately for more time.

• Advertisement

Still hesitating to switch to TFGH because I don't know if most games even allow ALT to be binded and I'll definitely need that for games that I like to crouch with CTRL on WASD. Having S replace TAB sounds like it might be nice, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

ESDF for me as it frees up QAZ for jump, crouch, prone, is more central for space for melee/use and also gives you c as a handy key. Best if all G and R are also handy, and easy to remember as Grenade, Reload.

Edit: I also find myself too often pointlessly hammering caps lock with WASD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

WASD/mouse interweaved with shouting at the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

WASD, changed over when I started playing CS at like, 13 or something. Haven't looked back since. Know a few lads who still use arrows and the surrounding keys for FPS games.

As a heavy wow player, RTS player back in the day, and FPS here and there, couldn't not use WASD really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

WASD here, a guy I played cs with used this fantastic scheme: http://i.imgur.com/G5WwEUa.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Burgo wrote: »
    WASD here, a guy I played cs with used this fantastic scheme: http://i.imgur.com/G5WwEUa.jpg

That's confusing as hell, I tried it there :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

That's confusing as hell, I tried it there :confused:

Oh yes, its nightmarish. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I find my left hand naturally rests on WASD, with my pinky on shift and my thumb on space.

I blame all the WoW binds. Need that quick access to Shift, Alt and Ctrl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I find my left hand naturally rests on WASD, with my pinky on shift and my thumb on space.

I blame all the WoW binds. Need that quick access to Shift, Alt and Ctrl!

Somewhat depends on your keyboard,I can't do it anymore with my current but for years did it with my logitech keyboards.

The part where your pinky meets your palm, few inches below there is a crease and your hand should be that slight bit thicker.

WC3 player back in the day showed me this neat trick using that part of your hand to press LftCtrl. Absolutely changed everything for me :D Was still using it in every game until maybe 2/3 year ago when I bought my first mechanical keyboard and couldn't do it anymore.

But all it required was you to tilt your left hand slightly and you were pressing ctrl, and had basically whatever bind you wanted.

• Advertisement

^ When I'm doing the new jump-coptering in Warframe to get around, it requires a slide jump. So it's W and SHIFT for sprint, CTRL for crouch (slide) and then jump immediately after with SPACE. If I switch to TFGH I know I can still do this but CTRL will have to be ALT. I should really test tonight if that can even be bound. ALT is a smaller key so it'll feel weird for a while too, among other things.

Anyone get ticked off with modern games that don't allow you to use the NUMPAD even when there's an actual in-game NUMPAD, too? Like for a code combination on a door or if there's a need to name your saves you can quickly use the NUMPAD to press 01, 02, 03 and so on if you just want a numbered save database. My hand instantly goes for the NUMPAD when dealing with numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

^ When I'm doing the new jump-coptering in Warframe to get around, it requires a slide jump. So it's W and SHIFT for sprint, CTRL for crouch (slide) and then jump immediately after with SPACE. If I switch to TFGH I know I can still do this but CTRL will have to be ALT. I should really test tonight if that can even be bound. ALT is a smaller key so it'll feel weird for a while too, among other things.

Just my opinion, but having to use two binds right beside each other in that scenario is just making life more difficult. Particularly since it's pinky use.

W + Shift + C (crouch) + space is in my mind anyway a bit more efficient. In games that don't tend to require a lot of weapon binds, I tend to double-bind things like crouch.

I'll add C as a secondary to crouch next time I play (perhaps tonight) and see how it goes. If it works out I might as well make Warframe my first TFGH game for further testing.

Update:

It didn't work out for C as crouch. To do a sliding melee attack you press E. Holding down C and W together makes it way too awkward to press E simutaneously. I'd have to switch from pressing W with my middle finger to instead pressing it ring finger to free up middle finger to press E since index fingers is now being used to press C. That's just not untuitive and makes me fumble around. Ctrl I can press with the mid part of my baby finger, shift with the tip of it, W with index finger and finally spacebar with THUMB.

With TFGH I could do that still but X as sprint, ALT as crouch and T as forward. Spacebar remains the same. Will test that tonight.

Advertisement