Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting on a particular computer causes the speed of our internet to go way down

Options
  • 24-10-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Odd question, but my g/f's work laptop (new model dell laptop) seems to cause a really weird issue on our home internet connection. We have UPC fibre and every time she connects her work laptop to the home network, our wireless download speeds go from somthing 4 or 5MB/s to 0.3MB/s (I haven't had a chance to test through ethernet). The download speeds stay that way even after she turns off her work laptop. The only thing that sorts it out is unplugging the modem for 10s or whatever and then it's back to normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

brophs wrote: »
    Odd question, but my g/f's work laptop (new model dell laptop) seems to cause a really weird issue on our home internet connection. We have UPC fibre and every time she connects her work laptop to the home network, our wireless download speeds go from somthing 4 or 5MB/s to 0.3MB/s (I haven't had a chance to test through ethernet). The download speeds stay that way even after she turns off her work laptop. The only thing that sorts it out is unplugging the modem for 10s or whatever and then it's back to normal.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
    Does she have any torrent app running from startup? That could slow the connection a lot if she has a lot downloading/uploading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

How confident are you that the speed stays slow after disconnecting? Could it be that it only happened once or twice and it's a coincidence that it was still slow?

Work could be pushing out updates that continue when it's connected, or as suggested some other downloads could be happening. What ISP and how are you testing your speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Does she have any torrent app running from startup? That could slow the connection a lot if she has a lot downloading/uploading.
    Nope. As it's a work laptop it's a clean install with the usual work programs installed. Nothing that's doing anything of note in the background, that I can tell.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    How confident are you that the speed stays slow after disconnecting? Could it be that it only happened once or twice and it's a coincidence that it was still slow?

Work could be pushing out updates that continue when it's connected, or as suggested some other downloads could be happening. What ISP and how are you testing your speed?
    Very confident. We're with UPC. Had the same issue at least a half dozen times over the past few weeks. I tested it with two torrent programs and two different versions of speed test programs and they all fall pretty much bang on 0.3MB/s each time. And then as soon as I restart the modem we're back to normal.

Has me stumped, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you measure the speed from your GFs computer what is the result ? Does she have Direct Access enabled to join a work domain ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Set your router to only use wireless N and not BGN. Her laptop is connecting at a lower speed and it does have knock on effects to everyone else.

New does not mean better, especially with work laptops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement