Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes into Medicine?

• 24-10-2015 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I am doing the Leaving next year and i know that the maximum i will probably get is 530-550. I dont see myself getting all A1's. What other options do i have of doing medicine? (I dont want to do it for the money)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

One other route I know of is graduate entry medicine, which requires you to have a degree (in any field as far as I know).

Be warned, it is a lot more expensive than doing an undergrad, that's because the government only subsidize fees for undergraduates going straight into first year for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Consonata

If you take Chemistry, look into going to Scotland, it's cheaper and can sometimes be easier to get into. I didn't know this when subject choice was on and picked Biology and Physics, regretted it ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Consonata wrote: »
    If you take Chemistry, look into going to Scotland, it's cheaper and can sometimes be easier to get into. I didn't know this when subject choice was on and picked Biology and Physics, regretted it ever since.

I really wouldn't say it's any easier as for all the Scottish unis you need a high UKCAT, great personal statement with work experience and volunteering etc. then an interview (except for Edinburgh) and then the offer is usually six As at HL. Could be even harder than here a lot of the time if you're bad at statements or interviews! It's also a very time consuming application.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

Beca19 wrote: »
    I really wouldn't say it's any easier as for all the Scottish unis you need a high UKCAT, great personal statement with work experience and volunteering etc. then an interview (except for Edinburgh) and then the offer is usually six As at HL. Could be even harder than here a lot of the time if you're bad at statements or interviews! It's also a very time consuming application.
    Say I just put the head down and choose to stay in Ilreland ,what would the minimum points you need with an average enough hpat be?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭YungKeo

Manufan123 wrote: »
    Say I just put the head down and choose to stay in Ilreland ,what would the minimum points you need with an average enough hpat be?

minimum LC points is 480 in UCC, but that is probably with a perfect HPAT so I would say around 510/520 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Manufan123 wrote: »

You'd need around 550 at least really.. If you had an exceptional hpat (like (95th percentile+) you might get in with 520s or 530s but it depends. Many European countries have much lower requirements if you like the idea of studying abroad! Check eunicas.com. Italy looks like a good option to me as it's pretty cheap and a great country!

Advertisement