Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question on Routers

Options
  • 24-10-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All

I had the lovely experience of working with 2 eircom routers the other day,

A D1000 and an F2000 on different connections.

I was trying to setup port forwarding to allow a webserver on 8080 be accessed externally.

I followed the standard procedures to set up port forwarding on the first router, no joy, switched the webserver to the other lan and setup the port forwarding on the 2nd router. no joy either. I resourted to disabling the firewall on both routers (not best practice I know) but wanted to test. Still no ports open. (covered all the basics like local firewalls disabled, tested externally from a different connection etc) Shocked nothing could be accessed from outside.

I have seen numerous posts on boards about port forwarding not working on both these models.

Am I wasting time trying to port forward with these 2 routers?

Sould I just grab a something line a Cisco small office router (which I can get from a friend for free ) and use that instead?

Your opinions, comments or experience in this area would be appreciated

Gringro
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Bridge the modem and add a better router

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gringro

Thanks Mass debater.

Sad that this has to be done but from looking into the issue it seems there is lots of people out there with port forwarding issues.

Is there a guide/doc/Web article on the bridging and 2nd router setup that you or anyone can point me to?

Thanks again

Gringro

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gringro

Quick update for and individuals who were in the same boat as I was.
    I got a Links router, set it up, copied the Dsl settings off the existing router. Once it was up and connected, I added a new port forwarding rule it works perfectly. No need to lower the firewall level. Was also able to implement Qos as a bonus.

If someone has info on the bridge and 2nd router setup I would appreciate hearing about it.

Gringro

Advertisement