Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What City

Options
  • 24-10-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi. Thinking about moving to UK. Not really sure what city to move to. Still early stages but ones been thinking about Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester and Liverpool. Would like to consider London but think be too expensive.
    About I 26 year old male. Currently living in Dublin (originally from Meath). Currently work for one telecommunication companies in there call center but not on the phones, work in administrative position, €13.50 hour. Working in the position for year and half, before that I worked on phones in outbound section. Have also worked for utility company in there IT operations dept. Have honors degree in business and information systems. Also do part time work in bar as well.
    So my question is what city should I look to move to. Would like to get good paying job but also good social life.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There's no easy answer - you should try and think carefully about all the things you're looking for, or which might make a difference to whether you'll be happy in a new city. Things like cost of living, a solid job market and availability of a good social life (whatever way you want to define it) are important but also things like relative location (if you're used to being near the sea, will it bother you moving somewhere inland?), weather (do you want somewhere that might offer better weather than Dublin?), presence of an Irish community, transport connections to other places and many other things can all make a significant difference.

For what it's worth, I think all the cities you've mentioned are generally pretty good - I don't know that much about Manchester and Liverpool in terms of job markets but Edinburgh and Bristol are both doing pretty well at the minute. One thing I would say is that Edinburgh can be surprisingly expensive relative to the rest of Scotland and much of the UK - it has a sizeable financial services industry and this causes some skew in local figures for average salaries.

I would suggest at least checking the job market and looking at the numbers for London, too - it's hectic and big but I doubt you'd have too much problem adjusting if you're in Dublin now, and while it has its problems there are things on offer in London you just won't get anywhere else in the UK. It's definitely not cheap though, so make sure you've checked everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Isaiah

ccarr wrote: »
    Hi. Thinking about moving to UK. Not really sure what city to move to. Still early stages but ones been thinking about Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester and Liverpool. Would like to consider London but think be too expensive.
    About I 26 year old male. Currently living in Dublin (originally from Meath). Currently work for one telecommunication companies in there call center but not on the phones, work in administrative position, €13.50 hour. Working in the position for year and half, before that I worked on phones in outbound section. Have also worked for utility company in there IT operations dept. Have honors degree in business and information systems. Also do part time work in bar as well.
    So my question is what city should I look to move to. Would like to get good paying job but also good social life.

Thanks

I applied for jobs before I moved over from Dublin to the UK, but I didn't target any particular city . I stated clearly on my CV my intentions (to interview and get a job offer before moving). Worked out for me, I landed an interview in London, flew over for the day of the interview and back later that day.

The company were cool, they said that normally they do 2 rounds of interviews but as I was flying to them they assured me that they would have enough people there to make a decision at the end of the interview.

Sure enough they were true to their word and offered me a job at the end of a gruelling 4 hour technical interview. I handed in my notice and moved over 2 weeks later and haven't looked back!

When looking for a job I left it open to a few cities and went where the best job offer was. Found the address of where I would be working and moved into the same area. Commuting by train is insanely expensive if you are going inter-city or between towns, 4k a year for a season ticket is pretty standard. Cheaper to live in the area. Have your deposit + 6 weeks rent ready as well as enough money to last till your first paycheck and start putting your CV out there. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Thanks for your replies. In ideal world like to have job found before I go over but think it would be unlikely to happen. From my initial research Edinburgh and Bristol would be two top choices. Just cant see my self getting a job in London that pay enough.
    Irish community wouldn't be deal breaker but do enjoy playing GAA, so would like continue playing if possible.
    Looking at job website does seem be suitable work in Edinburgh and Bristol.
    My thinking at moment if cant find work before I go over, is to pick one city and hope to get some bar work very soon after arrive so have money coming in and continue to look for jobs in other areas. Do people this realistic plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Thanks for your replies. In ideal world like to have job found before I go over but think it would be unlikely to happen. From my initial research Edinburgh and Bristol would be two top choices. Just cant see my self getting a job in London that pay enough.
    Irish community wouldn't be deal breaker but do enjoy playing GAA, so would like continue playing if possible.
    My thinking at moment if cant find work before I go over, is to pick one city and hope to get some bar work very soon after arrive so have money coming in and continue to look for jobs in other areas. Do people this realistic plan.
    First thing you want to do is find a GAA club then. They'll help you out as much as they can, good chance they can get you sorted with work.

Never been a GAA fan myself but for Irish emigrants pretty much the world over they are an amazing resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

Had thought about getting in contact with few GAA clubs alright. Ive only played at low enough level (junior) so don't think clubs go to much out way setting up work, but definitely be good chance of getting some contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Had thought about getting in contact with few GAA clubs alright. Ive only played at low enough level (junior) so don't think clubs go to much out way setting up work, but definitely be good chance of getting some contacts.
    You'd be surprised. The Irish abroad look out for each other in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

I've heard nothing but good things about Bristol mate- I'm in a similar situation to yourself only I'm currently on the other side of the world, and will be honing in on Bristol in the first half of next year. Voted the UK's most liveable city last year for what its worth!

Unemployment levels are currently about 3.5%, 90mins to London by train, you got the UK's best scenery on your doorstep, an international airport, great music scene and hopping nightlife I believe. Ticks a lot of boxes generally I reckon!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

One thing I would say is I've seen recent reports about Edinburgh being voted the best city to live in the UK this year, and the one part of that report I would say to be very careful around is salary - the report mentions good average salaries and disposable incomes, but doesn't mention that this is skewed because the financial services sector in the city will involve some people on very good money indeed. It's not as expensive as London by any means but it's also not cheap, so make sure you do your homework about what your costs would be when evaluating the kind of salary you'll be looking for.

One thing I would say is I've seen recent reports about Edinburgh being voted the best city to live in the UK this year, and the one part of that report I would say to be very careful around is salary - the report mentions good average salaries and disposable incomes, but doesn't mention that this is skewed because the financial services sector in the city will involve some people on very good money indeed. It's not as expensive as London by any means but it's also not cheap, so make sure you do your homework about what your costs would be when evaluating the kind of salary you'll be looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Fysh wrote: »

There are a lot of contractors in Edinburgh at the moment earning very high wages (to incentivise them commuting up from London) so I'd agree that the salaries may be skewed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Just moved to London last week and have to say I'm very impressed. I'. just sorry I didn't move here sooner!

It has everything a young person needs; great shops, bars, restaurants and the underground.

Rent is very expensive but the wages balance it out. Jobs don't seem that hard to come by and responses so far have been quite positive.

Plenty of women here aswel if your single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've seen a few jobs advertised in Liverpool and Manchester in the ad industry (and both looking for people with experience) for about £22/£23K.
    Is it possible to get by in a city on this?
    Works out at around €30K which I suppose is doable in Ireland but you'd always be watching your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

seachto7 wrote: »
    I've seen a few jobs advertised in Liverpool and Manchester in the ad industry (and both looking for people with experience) for about £22/£23K.
    Works out at around €30K which I suppose is doable in Ireland but you'd always be watching your pocket.

It would be doable especially in Liverpool rent would be a lot cheaper than what it would be in Manchester. Cost of living around Liverpool is quiet cheap as well. You do have council tax etc. Liverpool is a great city and a very compact city , friendly people and a great night life .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Bristol has two GAA clubs. Western Gaels and St.Nick's.
    Western Gaels are active enough on facebook so you can always drop them a message.

Bar work is easy enough to come by as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

That would be a typical graduate salary in the UK. If they're looking for experience it's quite poorly paid to be honest. How many years work experience are they asking for?

How many years work experience are they asking for?

2 years experience which I think should warrant a few more quid ...

2 years experience which I think should warrant a few more quid ...

For 2 years experience that's very, very poor pay, that's what a graduate fresh out of university would be expecting. It'd warrant quite a bit more I'd reckon.

Yeah, that's what my hunch was as well. Oh well, it's a sign I'm getting desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Yeah, that's what my hunch was as well. Oh well, it's a sign I'm getting desperate.

Really depends what kind go work you are in. But wages can be a lot lower in the UK, than what they are in Ireland.

'Tis a digital marketing job. It says graduate, which is fair enough, but then they go on to say "must have 2 years experience" which is a contradiction!

I suppose it's the type of job where you could do a year, and then you could progress to a better paid job. But yeah, it'sa sign of my desperation!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Isaiah

Really depends what kind go work you are in. But wages can be a lot lower in the UK, than what they are in Ireland.
    This is very true, However they can also be a LOT higher. There is a much wider gap between the middle class and the working class here. I literally doubled my salary by moving to the UK.

I get suggested more senior roles in Ireland regularly but the pay on offer is always less than I am on now. In my opinion you are better off in Ireland on a lower payscale and better off in the UK on the higher payscales.

For arguments sake, if you're offered a 25 to 30 K job, outside London, in the UK, to me, that would seem comfortable enough.

In Ireland that works out at the mid 30s going on the exchange rate currently.

For arguments sake, if you're offered a 25 to 30 K job, outside London, in the UK, to me, that would seem comfortable enough.

In Ireland that works out at the mid 30s going on the exchange rate currently.

That's what I would be looking for in your position, 21 to 23 k is really a starting salary, for someone with 2 years experience you'd really be expecting more like 25-26 and up depending on the sector etc.

I have more than 2 years experience in one section of digital marketing, but in another sector, I would be a relative newbie. I went back to uni to try and "upskill" as they say.
    A combination of both sectors, and who knows, but I'd gladly take something between 25 and 30. Gladly.

Advertisement