Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

esta/visa

Options
  • 24-10-2015 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

My wife is going to Canada for a few week next month and wants to visit the US for a long weekend does she need a esta/visa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭mulbot

Yes.an ESTA,if she's flying to states,no if she's travelling otherways

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mulbot wrote: »
    Yes.an ESTA,if she's flying to states,no if she's travelling otherways

+1 It's pretty simple. If she's arriving in the US by air or sea, she needs ESTA approval. If arriving (to the US) overland from Canada she doesn't.

ESTA costs just $14 and is valid for two years (multiple entry) so if I was her, I'd apply for it and have it approved just in case.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Thanks guys. Will get on it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

If she is not planning to visit the US in the near future, then I wouldn't bother getting ESTA if she is crossing by land. On top the ESTA fee, there's also a $6 fee for the I94 when crossing by land. Not having an ESTA will have absolutely no bearing on her admissibility when crossing by land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

^^ Are you sure? The ESTA replaced the I-94, travelling via land or sea as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Ruu wrote: »
    ^^ Are you sure? The ESTA replaced the I-94, travelling via land or sea as far as I know.

Yes positive. Have done multiple land border entries without ESTA in the past while.

Useful link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1132/~/citizen-of-visa-waiver-country,-wants-to-drive-into-u.s.-from-canada-or-mexico,

In fact, even when travelling via air with ESTA, you still get an I-94, it's just electronic (land crossings still use paper I-94 even if you have ESTA).

Got the esta last night. She is flying between the 2 country's. Again thanks for the reply's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'm going to piggy back on this one as its resolved for the op.

I'm going to Vegas for a week in December. I'm trying to fill out the above form and its asking me for a US point of contact.

I'm not visiting anyone, so what do I fill in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Saipanne wrote: »
    I'm going to piggy back on this one as its resolved for the op.

I'm going to Vegas for a week in December. I'm trying to fill out the above form and its asking me for a US point of contact.

I'm not visiting anyone, so what do I fill in?

Put in your hotel name and address

Now I'm stuck on the review your application page. There's no indication that anything is wrong. I can't click next.

This is a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement

Ok, it turns out it doesn't work properly on IE.

And good news, I was rejected for some unknown reason. What do I do now?

Left that section blank and still got esta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

[QUOTE
    And good news, I was rejected for some unknown reason. What do I do now?[/QUOTE]

contact US Embassy to arrange interview for Visa , I would imagine

Advertisement