Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Pubs Ennis - 2015

• 21-10-2015 2:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭

Hi

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I just want to inquire as to are there any pubs in Ennis who serve a decent selection of craft beer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Lucases are probably the main one. It's not one of the towns strong suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Lucases are probably the main one. It's not one of the towns strong suits.

More's the pity. For a town of its size it surprises me the selection is so poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Most of the bars around will have some kind of a selection of beers, I definitely noticed some in Lucas, Brogan's and Knox's. I wouldn't be out much so I can't be sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

I never really get the whole craft beer thing. I've tried hundreds of them over the years and found 90% of them to be rubbish.

What puzzles me all the more though is the people standing around drinking them declaring them to be the best thing since sliced bread. Either their taste buds are completely broken or they're pretentious idiots who couldn't tell a good pint of beer from a glass of piss, I can never quite figure it out :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Deagol wrote: »
    I never really get the whole craft beer thing. I've tried hundreds of them over the years and found 90% of them to be rubbish.

What puzzles me all the more though is the people standing around drinking them declaring them to be the best thing since sliced bread. Either their taste buds are completely broken or they're pretentious idiots who couldn't tell a good pint of beer from a glass of piss, I can never quite figure it out :P

1453654992327705232.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

A lot of the Irish craft beers are pretty terrible IMO. There isn't much of a tradition of it here so they've got a bit of work to do to catch up with the Americans nevermind the Europeans.

Your standard Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser etc are pretty boring to me at this stage I always welcome another option. Most Ennis bars have good whiskey choice at least. The beer will follow most Irish drinkers aren't that fussed yet. Give it another year or two that'll change. Until then the Bierhouse in Galway gets my vote. Excellent food and music as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Biddy Early Brewery in Inagh used to do some nice beers, I wasn't a fan of the Black Biddy but the Blonde Biddy was a nice beer. Since Guinness started to clean their own lines the quality of beer in Ireland has improved no end, most bars will have an OK selection of bottles beers, you'll be stretching your luck to get a decent selection on draft, this might change over time, a few years ago your wine selections would be either red or white, then it moved onto quarter bottles, now most bars will have wine by the glass, I noticed Brogan's and The Diamond has prosecco by the glass even now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

A lot of the Irish craft beers are pretty terrible IMO. There isn't much of a tradition of it here so they've got a bit of work to do to catch up with the Americans nevermind the Europeans.

Your standard Guinness, Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser etc are pretty boring to me at this stage I always welcome another option. Most Ennis bars have good whiskey choice at least. The beer will follow most Irish drinkers aren't that fussed yet. Give it another year or two that'll change. Until then the Bierhouse in Galway gets my vote. Excellent food and music as well.

There are some Irish Craft Breweries who are pushing the boat out and experimenting with new techniques. More often than not I'll drink Irish over foreign beer, namely Kinnegar, White Hag and Galway Bay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Some great names on pubs in Ennis - Lava's, Fafa's, Ganga's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Red Clover

It is high time there were more genuine beers on the market (and stocked by pubs). The major international brands are not good and to make them worse they are served far too cold. I always ask for a craft beer and even it is not in the bar maybe if there are enough requests they will stock it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement