Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to the trade

Options
  • 25-10-2015 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Constant lurker in here and try to help out when I can.

Hope the usual guys can reply and guide me background started one apprenticeship electrical instrumentation never finished due to a couple of personal problems I had.
    Started in 08 as a electrician apprentice flew threw all the tests qualified kept on with the company I worked for left go in early 2014 due to work being quiet.

Working mundane jobs since then but constantly looking to return to the electrical game.

Problem I'm having is with the aptitude tests I have forgotten so much since I left secondary school its shocking.

Anybody on here recommend how I can prepare for them preferably with books I can buy as I prefer having it in front of me instead of on a screen

Thanks lads

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

crasy dash wrote: »
    started one apprenticeship never finished

Apologies but I'm a bit confused.

From the above I conclude that you did not qualify. But from the next quote it sounds like you did:
    Started in 08 as a electrician apprentice flew threw all the tests qualified

Problem I'm having is with the aptitude tests

What aptitude tests ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I thought it was just me that was confused there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Sorry for the poor first post thats half my problem im no good with expressing myself:o have it edited now

Started e+i in 2004 never finished that started the second apprenticeship as a electrician and had no problems completing that.

Im fine with numbers mechanical reasoning etc

Its the verbal reasoning or spatial awareness im clueless and can never figure them out no matter how hard i try.

Just looking for some guidance as im sure plenty of ye out there can help guide me

Thanks for the replies lads

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm sure you will be fine, just relax.
    You are just a little apprehensive which is normal.

What is the aptitude test for?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

maybe get back into it by working as a trade assistant or electricians helper there are a few jobs online. you wont have much responsibility and get back into the swing of it.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    I'm sure you will be fine, just relax.
    You are just a little apprehensive which is normal.

What is the aptitude test for?

Think you might be right 2011 thanks for the advice just after purchasing a couple of leaving cert books to refresh my memory only working part time at the moment so i ll have plenty of time to get up to speed while i apply for jobs

Thanks for the replies lads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

crasy dash wrote: »
    Think you might be right 2011 thanks for the advice just after purchasing a couple of leaving cert books to refresh my memory only working part time at the moment so i ll have plenty of time to get up to speed while i apply for jobs

Thanks for the replies lads:)

I'm not sure how leaving cert books are going to help you remember how to work as an electrician.

You only finished up last year. Surely you haven't forgotten everything you've learned if you flew through your exams. :confused:

There's not a huge amount of jobs knocking around at the minute. What area are you looking to go back into?

Why would you sit an aptitude test? Are you going for a job that requires you to sit one?

Good luck on your hunt sounds like you might be a bit inexperienced and nervous but as 2011 said once you get back into the swing of things you'll be grand.

Thanks for the reply its just in the aptitude test i applied for in a pharmaceutical role i only realised how much i have forgotten regarding area volumes flow rates density of objects laws of physics etc so the school books should help me there

Any of the mathematical questions regarding manipulating formula etc are simple enough as its fresh in my memory as you say.

Its the questions outside of this i struggle big time verbal reasoning for example im absolutely hopeless at.

Take this
    One question i remeber being asked

Example eagle is to sparrow as alsatian is to
    a corgi
    b retriever
    c fox
    d st bernard

No matter what way i look at it i cant think logically what way they are related
    Thanks for the input really appreciate it

I thought you might be going in for a pharma job.

Those interviews with multinationals are a pain in the hole.

Try aim for a more hands on electrical role than a maintenance role to begin with and when searching for jobs put in technician this seems to be the new buzz word since things went tits up.

Also an engineer position is not necessarily a qualified engineer.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I thought you might be going in for a pharma job.

Those interviews with multinationals are a pain in the hole.

Try aim for a more hands on electrical role than a maintenance role to begin with and when searching for jobs put in technician this seems to be the new buzz word since things went tits up.

Also an engineer position is not necessarily a qualified engineer.

Thats it exactly, feel like a right eejit when i see something that looks so simple and im totally lost at it

My background would have been first job all containment cable pull etc no termination skills good in one sense crap in the other

Second job serving time as an electrician in a food company literally from day one straight into panels tracing faults breakdowns etc

Really just trying to put myself in a better position to get a job id enjoy doing rather than one where your just trudging along in it

• Advertisement

That's some question alright. I assume it's to do with mind set and thought process.

What did you answer? I'd have said Corgi based on opposites but I'm sure each answer had been researched by some think tank and they'll be able to filter the sane from the crazy.

Went for corghi as well I think can't remember there was about 15 of those type to be answered in 10min .

I'm sure there is a logical approach to these questions I just don't seem to notice it though .

Cheers for the reply though thanks for the friendly advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

crasy dash wrote:
    Cheers for the reply though thanks for the friendly advice.

Why don't you just watch some youtube videos on it.

It's the way to do it these days, very very fast way of getting up to speed with 2, 3,4 minute videos

Just a quick update thanks to all the boardsies that took the time to reply and help me out:)

Been busy over the last month so forgot to give an update did two tests and two interviews for the job i applied for unfortunately i didnt get offered the job but i asked and was told i got down to the final three candidates oh well thats life.

On to the next one:)

Once again thanks all for the replies

Advertisement