Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Sydney 2016

Options
  • 25-10-2015 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

My fiancée and I are moving to Sydney in February! We are both very excited. I have a job lined up and my fiancée will start looking for one shortly. I have never been so I have no sense of where we should live. I have heard that Bondi is a great place to love but expensive! Other than Bondi, I am not entirely sure where else we should be looking for accommodation. We want to live in place that has shops etc, that is close to restaurants, that has a bit of an Irish presence and maybe a GAA pitch nearby as we would both like to join GAA when we are over there. My fiancée will also probably want to play some rugby / Aussi rules. Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated!!! Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

We lived in Bondi Junction for the most of our time in Sydney, close to shops, pubs and the beach. Not sure on a GAA pitch though .Monthly train tickets into the city were reasonably priced. I also lived in the city and preferred Bondi Junction. I personally wouldn't live by Bondi Beach as its not as convenient for getting to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I'd have to disagree with the poster above. I live in Bondi and it couldn't be any easier to get to work in the city. The 333 and 380 stop across the road from my apartment and both go into the city, with the 333 being quicker.

OP, the eastern suburbs have pretty much everything you're looking for so you can pretty much take your pick. If you want to live near the beach then Bondi and Coogee are the main ones in the eastern suburbs, with Tamarama and Bronte being a bit smaller with less shops/restaurants. Bondi and Coogee both have a large Irish presence, not so sure about the rest. I also lived in Clovelly for a while which is really quiet but a nice place to live and really close to Coogee. I'm not sure about GAA being close by but I'm sure there's teams around the eastern suburbs. I know the Sydney Irish rugby team play somewhere around South Coogee and I've some contacts in the club if you need to get in touch.

Bondi is definitely expensive, but so is living near the other beaches. If living by the beach isn't a necessity then Surry Hills is great. Really close to the city, lots of nice bars and restaurants around too.

Advertisement