Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tim Sherwood leaves Aston Villa

• 25-10-2015 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

No surprise. Tim Sherwood leaves Aston villa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Brendan Rodgers in?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Tis a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Will miss his character and honesty but 15 defeats in 23 games he had to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Moyes is hanging on by a thread at Sociedad, he'd be a likely choice as Redknapp won't manage north of the Watford Gap.

That said they are currently 2-0 up

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I like him but don't rate him as a PL manager for obvious reasons.

I wonder would he settle for managing a championship side ? He seems to fancy himself as a top class manager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have edited the title to be a bit more pretty.

Both surprised and not by the departure. Wonder who they'll replace him with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Farewell, Tactics Tim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I genuinely think David Moyes would be a good fit for Aston Villa. Whatever about his Man U stint, he did a very good job at Everton who i would consider a similar enough club to Aston Villa. Both similar sized clubs with great traditions and histories in English football.

I like him but don't rate him as a PL manager for obvious reasons.

I wonder would he settle for managing a championship side ? He seems to fancy himself as a top class manager.

It's where i always thought he should start, work his way up. But he's too full of himself, he thinks the Championship is beneath him. He might have different ideas now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Shame that, was looking forward to seeing them relegated. Hopefully 'The Rodgers' doesn't take it as I think he's better than that. Surprised to see the football genius linked, I thought he was doing ok in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Massive loss! Hopefully some other club brings him back to the league soon.

sherwood2.jpg

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Think a fair few people predicted this when he was first appointed, that he'd have enough of an impact to keep them up but would be found out in the long term.

He definitely needs to drop down a level if he wants to make a career out of management. Tactically he isn't good enough for the top level at the moment.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have edited the title to be a bit more pretty.

I feel so violated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm sure he's a nice fella but I dread him.

Loved the sound of his own voice too much and trying to be a "character" for the sake of the media his bringing the fella onto the bench from the crowd when at Spurs was embarrassing.

Unfortunately he's almost certain to become a TV pundit now.

• I'm sure he's a nice fella but I dread him.

Loved the sound of his own voice too much and trying to be a "character" for the sake of the media his bringing the fella onto the bench from the crowd when at Spurs was embarrassing.

Unfortunately he's almost certain to become a TV pundit now.

Really don't get the hate he receives, he actually comes across pretty honest when speaking to the media

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sociedad just won 4-0, Moyes is the messiah!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

He's not a good manager. Think everyone lnew this would end as it has. Rogers would be a great fit actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sherwood seems like a nice guy. Almost too nice to be a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

to be fair he is a bit of a joke and I doubt anyone took him seriously as a manager. anyone could have predicted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

He'll hardly have a choice about dropping down to the Championship or lower, no prem team is gonna hire him any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

He'll hardly have a choice about dropping down to the Championship or lower, no prem team is gonna hire him any time soon.

His best chance of that is someone in relegation dire straits, hoping for an immediate turnaround.

Really hope Pearson is not the replacement. Moyes favourite, Rodgers 2nd. That would be my order of preference also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Villa have an abysmal squad. Doesn't matter who they get.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Moyes would be a superb appointment

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Saipanne wrote: »

Not really true. The likes of Amavi, Clark, Richards, Sanchez, Veretout, Traore, Grealish, Gil and Ayew can easily be turned into a team better than Newcastle, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford.

Just need a manager who can do it. If Moyes gets the job I would bet a serious amount of money that Villa will not go down.

CSF wrote: »
    His best chance of that is someone in relegation dire straits, hoping for an immediate turnaround.

Really hope Pearson is not the replacement. Moyes favourite, Rodgers 2nd. That would be my order of preference also.

Is he in the running? That would truly be a disasterous appointment by Villa. He's a Championship manager imo, not Premier League. I can't see that one happening.

I really think Moyes could do something with Villa. He'd turn them into a regular top half team again eventually like he did with Everton.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is he in the running? That would truly be a disasterous appointment by Villa. He's a Championship manager imo, not Premier League. I can't see that one happening.

I really think Moyes could do something with Villa. He'd turn them into a regular top half team again eventually like he did with Everton.

He's 3rd favourite. He did well over the 2nd half of last season but he is the exact opposite of what Villa need right now. Had enough of a mouthy personality in the media, Villa need someone who will get the head down sort the defence and grind out wins. Which is probably Moyes more than it is Rodgers.

Out of his depth in the premiership. Bit of a spoofer.

Maybe a couple of years in lower leagues will benefit him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Saipanne wrote: »

I don't think it's abysmal at all. Sherwood has used it abysmally this season though. Certainly needs a leading striker though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Not really true. The likes of Amavi, Clark, Richards, Sanchez, Veretout, Traore, Grealish, Gil and Ayew can easily be turned into a team better than Newcastle, Sunderland, Bournemouth, Norwich, Watford.

Just need a manager who can do it. If Moyes gets the job I would bet a serious amount of money that Villa will not go down.

Its the "turned into" bit thats the problem. Takes time. Managers dont get the time. Have to wonder if this will change will unsettle some of those new guys.

Its the "turned into" bit thats the problem. Takes time. Managers dont get the time. Have to wonder if this will change will unsettle some of those new guys.

Well of course there is a tide to turn, but the players are there to do so, just need the manager to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Well of course there is a tide to turn, but the players are there to do so, just need the manager to do it.

And the players. Amavi, Veretout, Grealish et al. are not the players to do it not yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

The problem is the need to be 6/7/8 points better than the teams above you in 28 games.

And the players. Amavi, Veretout, Grealish et al. are not the players to do it not yet anyway.

Amavi is a class act. Grealish has been frequently effective. Unfair to judge the players based on some of the formations that have been used under Sherwood.

The problem is the need to be 6/7/8 points better than the teams above you in 28 games.

4 points, but yeah under Moyes that would be no problem. Rumours of Remi Garde though which would be much less inspiring and a typically Villa appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

4 points, but yeah under Moyes that would be no problem. Rumours of Remi Garde though which would be much less inspiring and a typically Villa appointment.

4 points to get level with Bournemouth (who have a game in hand). 5 to guarantee getting past them. But if they or Norwich win a couple of games it becomes a much bigger task.

4 points to get level with Bournemouth (who have a game in hand). 5 to guarantee getting past them. But if they or Norwich win a couple of games it becomes a much bigger task.

Of course, need to get that 36 points between now and May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Thoroughly dislikeable man and completely clueless when it comes to the actual nuts and bolts of team structure and reacting to things. To be hoped that he goes away forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Very untypical appointment I'd say.

JPA wrote: »
    Very untypical appointment I'd say.

I don't think so. When have Villa under Lerner appointed the popular choice? It's always someone left field who nobody wanted and more specifically he ticks most of the same boxes did Houllier did. Also fits with this new French recruitment buzz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Moyes to Villa, Rogers to Sociedad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He looks barely a league one manager, how he got that Villa job is frightening......

I'd imagine he will need to take a massive step down to rebuild himself. All the "football man" talk in the world isn't pulling the wool over peoples eyes. Incredibly out of his depth.

Advertisement