Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Bun Recipe Ideas

Options
  • 25-10-2015 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi

Novice baker alert!

Just wondering would anyOne have any ideas or recipes for individual buns containing Apple either in the mix or as a topping.

Very easy to get recipes for Apple based cakes, tarts, crumbles but buns seems less inspired.

All ideas welcome

Comments

Hi

Novice baker alert!

Just wondering would anyOne have any ideas or recipes for individual buns containing Apple either in the mix or as a topping.

Very easy to get recipes for Apple based cakes, tarts, crumbles but buns seems less inspired.

All ideas welcome

I've used this recipe and they're lovely. I grated the apples rather than chopped them. I left this to the last minute in order to stop the apples going brown. You could replace the vanilla with a sprinkle of cinnamon and it's lovely. I just sprinkled the cinnamon on top before baking. The icing sugar can be optional, if you don't have it. Also, any milk will do!

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/275/glorious-apple-muffins.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks maryanne.

Are these suitable for afternoon tea or better for mid morning?

I just associate the word muffin with breakfast!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They're American style muffins rather than English breakfast muffins so they're definitely suitable for afternoon tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Sounds good. I'll give them a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

There's a really nice recipe here in the Cooking Club for jam doughnut muffins, I've often swapped out jam for Nutella or stewed fruit like rhubarb or apple. It works really well if you leave the apple in small chunks instead of a puree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I LOVE apple-flavoured bakes - pies, tarts, muffins - the whole shebang, so this is my favourite time of year :)

One go-to that I always use when I'm craving apples and cake is a basic sponge recipe and then I use what I call a baking syringe (I'm sure there's a proper term!) to inject some homemade apple compote into the centre (chop apples, add to pot on medium heat, brown sugar, water, cinnamon and some vanilla, add a drop of water, bring to the boil, reduce heat and cover until soft to your liking).

They're fluffy and light, and the ooze of the apple compote is a nice surprise. I usually top them with a light cream cheese icing and a dried apple slice or some candied apple peel and a sprinkle of cinnamon. They don't keep very long (max. 2 days) but they generally don't last that long either ;)

Why am I in work? I wanna go home and bake! :(

Advertisement