Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another little project, 4 man canoe

• 25-10-2015 3:16pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This I believe to be a Irish made 4 man Canadian canoe built by Lawrence canoes & kayaks in the 70's 80's I know very little about them so all info welcome :) She is in a bit of a state but I think it's worth keeping a bit of Irish history alive for a few more years.

20151025_132908_zpsavaurl7p.jpg

20151025_132920_zpsicgcmuve.jpg

20151025_132953_zpseparjwnv.jpg

20151025_133022_zpsxkw5ngxk.jpg

20151025_132936_zpsbseit1sl.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Where is the engine transom ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

moonshadow wrote: »

I'm doing this one for my brother and he has enough kids to give him free power for many years to come :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Horse an ould Honda GX35 in there anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Horse an ould Honda GX35 in there anyway
    Great little engine, I have one on a brushcutter. Affix prop, fit to stern and presto, we have a fantail boat.
    It would be cool to see one on the klongs of Dublin. (Sorry, I've forgotten how to embed..)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Started off removing the old repair work.

20151102_114654_zpsd9vflc4v.jpg

20151102_114717_zpsyscd30rb.jpg

Most of it came off with a chisel leaving a nice prickly mess to sand down.

20151102_120718_zps2iputbax.jpg

The repair was more for a dint than a hole, I think I'd rather look at the dint than all that fibreglass :eek:

20151102_124438_zpsj8zltagl.jpg

Filled in with Isopon P40.

20151104_141034_zpsenkmg88w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Docktor

Are you planning to paint the canoe Fergal?

Docktor wrote: »
    Are you planning to paint the canoe Fergal?

Yep I'm thinking green bottom cream top and a gold stripe along the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

fergal.b wrote: »
    Yep I'm thinking green bottom cream top and a gold stripe along the middle.

Whatever you do cant be any worse then that "after a night on the guiness" Brown that it currently is

What kind of paint are you going to use, and asides from a good sanding to give it a key, is there anything else you can do to prevent it peeling at some point in the future? We had a fibreglass cabin cruiser professionally painted a number of years ago - the finish was great - put it started to flake within a few years.

• Advertisement

What kind of paint are you going to use, and asides from a good sanding to give it a key, is there anything else you can do to prevent it peeling at some point in the future? We had a fibreglass cabin cruiser professionally painted a number of years ago - the finish was great - put it started to flake within a few years.

It will get a coat of Pre-kote international primer, a must with fibreglass boats and then a few coats of Toplac topside paint.

OK - looking forward to seeing your next posting with pictures - I'm sure it's going to be another masterclass - thanks Fergal!
    BTW - do you think the canoe was manufactured by Lawrences or imported and labeled by them?

OK - looking forward to seeing your next posting with pictures - I'm sure it's going to be another masterclass - thanks Fergal!
    BTW - do you think the canoe was manufactured by Lawrences or imported and labeled by them?

I haven't a clue I was surprised to see the Lawrence sticker on it as it doesn't look very Irish :) I can't find much info on them and Ernest died a few years ago :( as far as I know they did make some and as he was involved in the scouts this kind of canoe would be appealing to them.

First coat of pre-kote most of the filling is done but this will show up all of the smaller dints and scrapes.

20151110_144448_zps4nhnduco.jpg

Yeah young lad back to school so back to potting about :)

A nice big hole in the side :eek:

20160106_130212_zpsp5ngcvgl.jpg

To do this I cut a strip of plastic out of a bottle.

20160106_130937_zpsrorltnaw.jpg

20160106_131103_zpskxkiyyrf.jpg

Then let it conform to the shape of the hull tacking it on with superglue.

20160106_132225_zpsqvdks1dw.jpg

Next I first filled it from the back with thickened epoxy and then built up the hole with a few layers of fibreglass cloth, it should leave a smooth finish on the outside with very little sanding to do.

20160106_134117_zpstrhmvpc2.jpg

Back to this again to clear some room for any cruiser bits I might need to work on:)
    Bottom all filled and painted and top primed.

20160414_154908_zpsgwtfhnwx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Nice work with the tonic water bottle

Not my choice in colour but it's not too bad :) I think I will call it the Noddy boat.

20160420_151145_zpsx32z6kbd.jpg

20160420_151209_zpszqusnrpa.jpg

I think I will make up some plastic hatch covers don't think the wood looks right.

20160421_154229_zpseurejrfq.jpg

Advertisement