Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i need a better CPU if i have a good Graphics Card?

Options
  • 25-10-2015 5:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭

Currently i have an AMD Athlon II x4 620 CPU in my pc, I'm thinking of installing a GTX 750 but leaving the CPU i have. Will installing a GPU allow me to play games like GTA V or CS:GO smoothly or will i need a new CPU?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I don't think the CPU will be a bottleneck with that GPU, if you went much higher I'd look at upgrading the CPU

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭IDencI

I don't think the CPU will be a bottleneck with that GPU, if you went much higher I'd look at upgrading the CPU

Do you think i'd be able to play the games mentioned in my first post? Lets just say for arguments sake i installed a GTX 980, would the CPU then need to be upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CSGO would be fine, I haven't a clue of the min specs for GTAV but I'm say you're good for it.

You wouldn't have to upgrade per se, but the CPU would be holding you back at that stage I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its more about titles. The likes of FC4 and BF3/4 are CPU hard and won't run well on it. CS:GO plays well with ULV dual cores. GTAV isn't my thing but recommendation (sometimes exaggerated):
    Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
    is pretty substantial. Might need an upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Well it would also depend on whether or not the games would run on the CPU. if you check the specs and it says you need a higher one then yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

CS GO will be fine. GTA V will run but not great.

An X4 620 is a major bottleneck to a GTX750. Your CPU needs replacing for modern gaming.

I think I'll upgrade my build with a new CPU, motherboard and ram.
    Anybody have any recommendations for a good APU? Going to go with integrated graphics instead of a graphics card. I have about €200

That's a bad idea if you're looking to play games like GTA V. The fastest APU on the market is still not very good for intensive gaming, and it requires expensive fast memory to get the most out of it.

If your budget is €200, I would get the GTX750 now for €110. You will get by in GTA V with your old CPU, it's just not very good. Then upgrade to a new board and CPU later.

A GTX750, H81M Motherboard, i3-4160 and 4GB of ram will set you back about €300.

A GTX750, H81M Motherboard, i3-4160 and 4GB of ram will set you back about 300.

I could possibly stretch to 300 for a build like that. Any idea what second hand GTX750's are going for or is it even worth my while buying a second hand one?

They are scarce enough to find second hand, and they hold resale value very well, so it's as easy to buy a new one. The GTX750Ti is just a bit more expensive and it's faster. Make sure to get a 2GB GTX750, not the 1GB model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement