Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accupuncture & regulating my cycle

• 25-10-2015 6:19pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi all, my hubby and I are hoping to start TTC in December. I was on a lot of medication for a couple of years, which has completely messed up my cycle. I've gone from being a very regular every 34 days, to having 2 periods last year. According to my doc, there's nothing to indicate that I've got "fertility issues" but my problem is if I'm only having a period every 4-6 months, that means I'm only ovulating every 4 to 6 months, which will make TTC a lot harder.

A friend of mine recommended trying accupuncture, she said she works with someone who swears by it for 'womens problems'. The only thing is she's in London, so it's not like she knows anywhere in Dublin that does it.

Has anyone tried it, and has it made any difference? Or can anyone recommend any other ways to try and get my cycle back to normal? I'm feeling really stressed about it. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Hi toots, I have been doing acupuncture for the last few months. I am going to a practitioner that specializes in fertility. My clinic recommended her.

So far I have found it very helpful. She helps me relax and focus. Drop me a PM and I can send you her name if you like? Not sure if we are allowed to put names up here?

The initial consult was €85 and then each session since has been €70 (if you have health insurance it may be partially covered) . Hope this helps x

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks stickybean! I've sent you a PM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm a big fan of acupuncture and have used it for a few different things over the years. I also used it when ttc on my first pregnancy to help regulate my cycle, general relaxation, etc.
    I had a miscarriage in July and used it again after that as my cycle was a little out of kilter again.
    Now I am 7+2 with what will hopefully be baby #2.
    I can send you the details of my acupuncturist if you wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

May as well try drinking lots of water. Pretty much every scientific study ever carried out on acupuncture has put it on a par with homoeopathy i.e. a total con for the gullible.

Sleepy wrote: »
    May as well try drinking lots of water. Pretty much every scientific study ever carried out on acupuncture has put it on a par with homoeopathy i.e. a total con for the gullible.

To be fair the scientific studies have been unable to prove how acupuncture works but have never been able to clearly find that it doesn't work.
    Many healthcare professionals with a scientific background incorporate acupuncutre into their health care regime now e.g. physiotherapy.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,925 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Thanks Penny! I'd love to get their details :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

You could also look into Agnus Castus, I've seen it recommended for regulating long cycles before. I found acupuncture great for TTC and regulating cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sleepy wrote: »

Maybe you would want to know who was funding the studies? Remember that acupuncture is one sixth of chinese GP's course. As my business lecturer taught me in college 1 Billion Chinese cannot be wrong. Because it is ancient doesnt mean it has no scientific value.

Maybe you would want to know who was funding the studies? Remember that acupuncture is one sixth of chinese GP's course. As my business lecturer taught me in college 1 Billion Chinese cannot be wrong. Because it is ancient doesnt mean it has no scientific value.

I had it on my leg a few years ago after an ACL injury and I found it fantastic, unfortunately the physio doesn't do fertility stuff, otherwise I'd have gone back to the same one. I was down in my GP yesterday and mentioned the accupuncture and he was all for it, which was encouraging. It's just a pity my health insurance won't cover it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Toots wrote: »
    I had it on my leg a few years ago after an ACL injury and I found it fantastic, unfortunately the physio doesn't do fertility stuff, otherwise I'd have gone back to the same one. I was down in my GP yesterday and mentioned the accupuncture and he was all for it, which was encouraging. It's just a pity my health insurance won't cover it!

Double check with them - I was able to claim for 12 treatments a year

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »

Not at all? I'm with Laya and they cover me and the acupuncturist I go to has a sign in his waiting area that says he is registered with VHI, Laya and Aviva. You can claim it on your Med1 anyway. I have in the past.
    stickybean wrote: »
    Double check with them - I was able to claim for 12 treatments a year

Me too.

Advertisement