Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 lightening cables are useless!!!!

• 25-10-2015 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭

I promised my two teenagers tonight I've had enough!

I'm not purchasing any more Apple lightening cables anymore!!!!

Over the past two years I reckon I've purchased 30 of them for my household and they all break I've time.

I've tried all varieties and nothing lasts. Apple cables are a huge let down in my opinion. The iPhone 4 cables never had this issue.

I pointed it out to an apple rep 6 months ago on the phone and he claimed the newest cables were improved.

I'm furious I'm prepared to sell all 4 iOS devices from my home I've had enough :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

There really is no refuting it. I just keep them in the same place, movement leads to damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Why aren't you returning them to Apple? I find them fairly poor to be honest as well. Massively overly complicated design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Any bend tends to cause the material to break. I think Apple do replace them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

I've never had had an Apple cable fail, never. They must be being abused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I never bothered getting replacements from Apple. Wouldn't make any difference anyway they are all crap. I'm determined not to purchase any more we can switch to android I've had enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

All wires break... And if you're buying Apple branded ones you haven't bought 30 of them... You must be something wrong.. I've had one cable for the past 8 months and I've never had to replace it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Never replaced any lightening cable including one that regularly does the rounds in the office. WTF are ye doing to the cables that they don't last? It's not like a cable does much moving. Plug it in, put down phone/ ipad , leave to charge. Plug it out when you want to use it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've found the opposite tbh - the old 30 pins were shíte and very prone to damage. The lightening cable is way better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Never replaced any lightening cable including one that regularly does the rounds in the office. WTF are ye doing to the cables that they don't last? It's not like a cable does much moving. Plug it in, put down phone/ ipad , leave to charge. Plug it out when you want to use it again.

I've seen people yank on a cable from 10cm back from the plug, then claim poor manufacturing quality when they fail.

Use them as they were designed and they don't fail, simple.

Senecio wrote: »
    I've seen people yank on a cable from 10cm back from the plug, then claim poor manufacturing quality when they fail.

Use them as they were designed and they don't fail, simple.

Or pull on the wire to remove it from the plug.
    Or pull the wire to yank out the entire plug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

My cable is failing where it bends. It bends because when plugged into the power in use there is an inevitable kink.

No big deal for me. But I imagine kids cause more damage.

Well in comparison to the absolute battering the cheapest micro usb cable can take there definitely is cause for complaint IMO.

Well in comparison to the absolute battering the cheapest micro usb cable can take there definitely is cause for complaint IMO.

Any of my micro usb cables stop connecting properly after a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭brianomc

Were they €20 apple cables and you've spent €600 on them or the discount shop variety for €1-€5.

I must have spent €20-€30 on cheap cables on ebay/aliexpress/etc and they were so unreliable and badly made. Gave in and bought one official apple one, both that one and the original one are still going strong 2-3 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Truthfully, they aren't made with the same robustness of good brand chargers from other phone manufacturers like Samsung. Their micro and mini usb chargers are bomb proof and sturdy.
    I'm now much more careful with my apple chargers as a result... I used to get 3/4 months with the old 30 pins on iPhone 4... But even with the flimsy design now I'm getting minimum of a year from the apple chargers now due to minding how fragile they are. I have a perfectly working 30 pin for my iPad 3 going on 2 years now.
    Once you are aware of their fragility... And paying yourself for the replacements (a concern most teenagers don't have) then being more careful will greatly increase the lifespan of the chargers.

But I'm still in agreement that Apple can and should be providing much sturdier cables to go with devices that don't give much change out of €1000

GrayFox208 wrote: »

Really? My experience has been the exact opposite! I have plenty which have been thrown around for years that all still work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 New Ice Age

Never had a charger of any kind fail - Android + USB, Apple Lightening connector or magsafe. Look after them and they'll be fine. Like anything.

30 of them? Crazy. There's no question they're being mistreated if you've gone through that many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

30 of them? Crazy. There's no question they're being mistreated if you've gone through that many.

nope, its deffo all the leads by numerous manufacturers and not the OP.

Definatly. Sure, what other possible explanation would there be?

If only there were some sort of common denominator in all this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Why are your cables taking a battering?? Plug carefully into device. Put down decice. Remove carefully from device when charged. In six years if iphone ownership, I've never had to replace Apple cables or many others fir that matter.

Advise your children how to insert and remove cables properly. Your wallet will thank you and they will have learned a life skill!!

There are 5 iOS devices in my home so
    It took 2 years to buy 30 cables.

I have pleaded with my two teenage sons several times to be careful. I think part of reason is other kids coming and going are borrowing our chargers while in the house.

Bottom line is for such expensive gadgets the bloody cables are an absolute joke.
    This issue I've had enough.

I'm so furious with Apple. I wish I could tell them clearly what I think of the scam they have going on their cables. Absolute joke it is.

• Advertisement

I've had two official Lightning cables for the last 2 years. Both are still perfect. Never had a micro USB fail on me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Bottom line is for such expensive gadgets the bloody cables are an absolute joke.
    This issue I've had enough.

I'm so furious with Apple. I wish I could tell them clearly what I think of the scam they have going on their cables. Absolute joke it is.

How is it a "scam" that no one in your house seems to be able to look after a charging cable?
    They're not towing ropes,they're delicate charging cables and such should be treated with the care they deserve.

It's a scam on apples part because they are designed not to be tough and durable.

The least bit of handling and they fail.

Then Apple charge crazy money for another. Unlike android enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Had one lightning cable fray on me. But it was my bag cable and was treated like a doormat. A bit of sugru on it and it was fine. any others I just pull from the connector rather than the cable and they've been fine.

Even reached my nephews and niece this trick (age range 7-13) and have yet to get a frayed cable from them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

I picked up some of the lightning cables in Tiger a few days ago. They're braided and look like they'll have a long life.

€4 for a 3-metre cable! Bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I've been using Iphones since the the 3GS,I currently have a 6,and a 5c and iPad mini for work, all are constantly being charged both in my house and in my van and I've never once broken a cable.

It's a scam on apples part because they are designed not to be tough and durable.

The least bit of handling and they fail.

Then Apple charge crazy money for another. Unlike android enough said.

So that's what it is you just want to have a moan about Apple. You or your children are mistreating the cables. If you tossed around the iPad and it broke would you blame Apple for poor durability? It's just cable. Would you like them to make it out of wood so it's more durable for you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

There are 5 iOS devices in my home so
    It took 2 years to buy 30 cables.

I have pleaded with my two teenage sons several times to be careful. I think part of reason is other kids coming and going are borrowing our chargers while in the house.

If others are coming and going it would be my suspicion that they're swapping out their battered cables for your snazzy oem cables

Your issues may not lie with Apple but the cunning of others

I just noticed on the Apple Ireland Store the lightening cable gets a miserable rating of 1 star out of 5.

The vast majority of reviews too are extremely negative. Enough said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

GrayFox208 wrote: »

Sorry mate, but even the cheapest MicroUSB cables can take some battering before they give in. Apple just want your money. Also, the infuriating 'accessory not supported' message would drive you nuts.

Advertisement