Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just bought an Xbox One

• 25-10-2015 7:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So,
    I finally relented and bought an Xbox One today.
    The wife has yet to find out and so I am expecting a certain amount of misery and pain as result.
    The console was preowned and came with Forza 6 and Evil Within.
    The plan, as of now, is to trade in the latter and pick up the Rare Replay collection which is, truth be told, the main reason I bought the console at all, that and a possibly reliable way to play my large library of 360 titles into the future, given how fragile the 360 platform is overall.

So, what else should I be buying for this machine?
    The Halo compilation seems to be a must have, but Sunset Overdrive?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So,
    I finally relented and bought an Xbox One today.
    The wife has yet to find out and so I am expecting a certain amount of misery and pain as result.
    The console was preowned and came with Forza 6 and Evil Within.
    The plan, as of now, is to trade in the latter and pick up the Rare Replay collection which is, truth be told, the main reason I bought the console at all, that and a possibly reliable way to play my large library of 360 titles into the future, given how fragile the 360 platform is overall.

So, what else should I be buying for this machine?
    The Halo compilation seems to be a must have, but Sunset Overdrive?

Any help would be gratefully received.

It goes without saying purchase a sub for EA Access seriously worth the money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tippex wrote: »
    It goes without saying purchase a sub for EA Access seriously worth the money

What's this now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

What's this now?

€25 for a year's access to loads of EA games, 10% discount on all their games and a trial of any game before it comes out.

It's savage value.

For me, it's means I'll never buy another EA game, as I can wait about a year and it'll turn up in the vault.

You can see more here, and there's a thread about it on the forum here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Tippex

http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/en_IE.html

You get access to a vault of EA games for €4 a month

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lovely jubbly,
    As soon as She Who Must Be Obeyed calms down about me buying yet another console, I'll subscribe!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Lovely jubbly,
    As soon as She Who Must Be Obeyed calms down about me buying yet another console, I'll subscribe!

My wife only gets annoyed about me buying a new console if I don't let her play on it... I usually don't get to play much at all. :( I bought the witcher 3 Xbox and she finished the game... I played for an hour.

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    My wife only gets annoyed about me buying a new console if I don't let her play on it... I usually don't get to play much at all. :( I bought the witcher 3 Xbox and she finished the game... I played for an hour.

My wife only gets annoyed when circumstances lead her to be reminded that videogames exist.
    I have a games room, over 60 consoles, an arcade cabinet and more games than i care to mention.
    She's reminded a lot :(
    Going to try and get her into the scene via Legend of Zelda....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

My wife only gets annoyed when circumstances lead her to be reminded that videogames exist.
    I have a games room, over 60 consoles, an arcade cabinet and more games than i care to mention.
    She's reminded a lot :(
    Going to try and get her into the scene via Legend of Zelda....

Adopt me!! please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

CatInABox wrote: »
    €25 for a year's access to loads of EA games, 10% discount on all their games and a trial of any game before it comes out.

It's savage value.

For me, it's means I'll never buy another EA game, as I can wait about a year and it'll turn up in the vault.

You can see more here, and there's a thread about it on the forum here.

Can you explain the vault to me? I can see that there are some decent games in there at the moment but surely if I pay €25 they cannot be mine? Do I get the full content of the games in the vault, with access to achievements etc or do I just have access to demos of the games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

logik wrote: »
    Can you explain the vault to me? I can see that there are some decent games in there at the moment but surely if I pay €25 they cannot be mine? Do I get the full content of the games in the vault, with access to achievements etc or do I just have access to demos of the games?

Full games. Its a yearly subscription for €25. You don't renew next year you loose access to the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Full games. Its a yearly subscription for €25. You don't renew next year you loose access to the games.

Seems great, will have to get this so.

Adopt me!! please?

Sorry, we only take in stray dogs, not stray gamers!

Between this deal and the one from the "other crowd" I'd say I'll have a console HDD full of games I'll never get to play in no time!

Between this deal and the one from the "other crowd" I'd say I'll have a console HDD full of games I'll never get to play in no time!

Invest in an external. The one allows for play directly from the external.

Makes it really handy to bring your games with you.

I've already got one wired up to the WiiU, don't want to have the space 'neath the TV cluttered any more than it is.
    I'll simply use a modicum of sense, if a game is in use it lives in the HDD, otherwise the thing will be available to download at a later date.

I've already got one wired up to the WiiU, don't want to have the space 'neath the TV cluttered any more than it is.
    I'll simply use a modicum of sense, if a game is in use it lives in the HDD, otherwise the thing will be available to download at a later date.

The One will format the HDD so it won't be able to be used with any other device.

Might be something to consider.

The One will format the HDD so it won't be able to be used with any other device.

Might be something to consider.

Oh, i know, i just don't want the space 'neath the tv becoming clogged with external drives.
    Is the XB1 more demanding in terms of hdd space than the PS4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

It depends on the size of the game.
    I got a 1TB HDD and I've got every GWG from December last year to now on it as well as GTA and a few other games I purchased and the space is only at €60% odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

best of luck with the new baby....little hurt from the Mrs will pass when you show her the delight of voice control for sky and tv ;-)

mine is out of bounds until xmas as in post op recovery from serious hand injry.. sucks tbh

BrookieD wrote: »
    best of luck with the new baby....little hurt from the Mrs will pass when you show her the delight of voice control for sky and tv ;-)

mine is out of bounds until xmas as in post op recovery from serious hand injry.. sucks tbh

Ha, I'm likely to find it in the garden on fire!

And as for the hand injury, just use Kinect 2.0, or does it still suck balls? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BrookieD wrote: »

Didn't they make it so we can remap the controllers recently? You could try remapping the controller to use one hand. Would depend on the game but it's definitely doable for some.

One handed gaming...
    Senran Kagura Burst or Gal.Gun anyone?

With some wily trading I have converted an Xbox One with Evil Within and Forza 6 into an Xbox One and Halo 5.
    Just have to buy Rare Replay and that's me sorted for the console and games I wanted for the princely sum of 225.
    Happy days!

Advertisement