Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in getting a 6?

• 25-10-2015 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭

Thinking of picking up a iPhone 6 in the near future now that the price has dropped. Budget is tight, I Would be buying sim free and not on bill pay. Currently on a 5 which I bought 2 years ago so it's getting on at this stage. The only thing is that I'm think would I regret not buying the 6s? Is the 6 still a good buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Joo0 wrote: »
    Thinking of picking up a iPhone 6 in the near future now that the price has dropped. Budget is tight, I Would be buying sim free and not on bill pay. Currently on a 5 which I bought 2 years ago so it's getting on at this stage. The only thing is that I'm think would I regret not buying the 6s? Is the 6 still a good buy?

From what I've heard the the 3D Touch thing is a bit gimmicky. Simply because only Apple pre installed apps support it. If you're budget is tight I wouldn't really buy it for that. And unless you plan to shoot videos in 4K I wouldn't really bother. There's not much else they changed, the 6 with the price drop is the way to go to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,640 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Joo0 wrote: »
    Budget is tight . . . Currently on a 5 which I bought 2 years ago . . .
    If budget is tight, stick with the 5. Should be good for years yet.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    If budget is tight, stick with the 5. Should be good for years yet.

You left out the part where he said it's getting on. Battery would be reaching its count it would have begun to slow down.

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    You left out the part where he said it's getting on. Battery would be reaching its count it would have begun to slow down.
    It should still be fairly good after about two years, unless he's a seriously heavy user.

But, if battery degradation is a problem, he can replace the batttery for about 80 euros, which will be kinder to his budget than buying an iPhone 6.

He should only buy the 6 (or the 6s) if he actually wants the upgrade (and wants to pay for it). He does say that his budget is tight. If he just wants to keep on with the functionality and utility he has had for the past two years, battery replacement looks like the best option.

It should still be fairly good after about two years, unless he's a seriously heavy user.

But, if battery degradation is a problem, he can replace the batttery for about 80 euros, which will be kinder to his budget than buying an iPhone 6.

He should only buy the 6 (or the 6s) if he actually wants the upgrade (and wants to pay for it). He does say that his budget is tight. If he just wants to keep on with the functionality and utility he has had for the past two years, battery replacement looks like the best option.

I'm fairly sure it's mentioned so someone isn't advising he buy a 128GB iPhone 6s Plus with the AppleCare Plus and a few covers. A 64GB iPhone 6 would be fine op. And when he says budget it's highly likely he means the budget for the phone. If he wants the upgrade he should get it. His current phone is 4 years old. (Tech wise) a lot has changed since the iPhone 5.

• Advertisement

You'll get an iPhone 6 64GB (16GB is no good these days) from Apple for 759. With free delivery. If you can afford it I'd pick up the AppleCare+ for 99 as well. Just in case something happens (it gets lost or damaged etc) it's only 79 excess fee and up to two claims a year for a believe 3 years. Or the 6s 64GB from Apple is is 869 and 149 for apple care with a 99 euro excess. So for a 6s with 4K and force touch you're paying over 1000, or 859 for a 6. Id go with the 6 man.

Well, up to him, obviously. I don't think there's that much difference between you and me. Whether he gets the 6 or the 6s he will be upgrading, and paying for an upgrade, which is absolutely fine if what he wants is an upgrade. But if the driver for this move is simply that his 5 is "getting on at this stage", and if his budget for addressing that problem is "tight" there is an option for addressing the problem without upgrading, and it's a fraction of the cost of even the least expensive of the possible upgrades. Depending on the tightness of his budget, that may be of interest to him.

Well, up to him, obviously. I don't think there's that much difference between you and me. Whether he gets the 6 or the 6s he will be upgrading, and paying for an upgrade, which is absolutely fine if what he wants is an upgrade. But if the driver for this move is simply that his 5 is "getting on at this stage", and if his budget for addressing that problem is "tight" there is an option for addressing the problem without upgrading, and it's a fraction of the cost of even the least expensive of the possible upgrades. Depending on the tightness of his budget, that may be of interest to him.

But we are assuming the battery is the only issue. He could have a 16GB model or 8GB (did iPhone 5 have that? I can't remember) and it might be not enough room, he could have broken the screen, the phone could have been used as a rugby ball, we don't know the reason why he wants to upgrade. Perhaps the OP wants a new phone, and if he can get the new phone without going into debt or selling a kidney what's the harm? If there's issues with his current one perhaps they can be fixed but perhaps he's not bothered.

All he says about his reasons for making an change at all are that he bought his 5 two years ago and it's "getting on". If "it's getting on" is a euphemism for "I spilled a container of battery acid on it and then when I left it out in the open air to dry off an elephant stood on it" then, yes, he'll want a new phone. But if "it's getting on" means "the battery is not holding a charge quite as well as it used to", then the option of a battery replacement might be worth considering. Beyond that, only he knows what "it's getting on" really means, and only he knows what "budget is tight" really means, and all we can do is present the options and leave him to the challenging task of reconciling as best he can the phone he wants to have with the money he wants to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Maybe he just wants a new phone and saying that his 5 his "getting on a bit" is his way of justifying it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement