Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid corsair cs650m PSU's, poor quality fan intermittent grinding sound.

Options
  • 25-10-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

I recently built a PC and ordered the PSU and case from an Irish company.

The PSU was a corsair cs650m, and right now it sounds like a faulty dremel grinding away inside the case. From googling the issue 'cs650m fan grinding' I have found many results, the consensus being that this is a cheaper made PSU and that the fans in particular are very poor.

I am going to return the PSU to the shop I bought it from but they insist on verifying the issue themselves, the problem is that it is intermittent. Right now it is grinding away, for the past few days it has been quiet, and on the first day I got it it was making the same noise.

Anyway, a word of warning, avoid the CS series PSU's, I now have to hope that the grinding noise rears its head during the 24 hour test the shop who sold it to me insists on. On that inconsistent note it has gone silent again. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭AntDub

When the noise appears record it on your phone so that you can show them the problem just in case it decides to be quiet when they test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It's also really bad practice to assume fault with a sample size of 1.

It's just that particular unit, or we'd know about this already. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Serephucus wrote: »
    It's also really bad practice to assume fault with a sample size of 1.

It's just that particular unit, or we'd know about this already. ;)

I'm going by the results on google for the issue.

AntDub wrote: »
    When the noise appears record it on your phone so that you can show them the problem just in case it decides to be quiet when they test it.

Done, but given the tone of the support so far I have a feeling that won't be enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I bought a corsair cx750 and have had it replaced three times now.

Each unit suffers from coil whine. It's not that loud, but it's annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I have the 500w one and the loudest noise in my machine is when I start to run something off the hdd rather than the ssd. Otherwise it's almost silent.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=cs650m+fan+grinding

This is just a PSA guys, the issue isn't consistent noise or coil whine, its a cheap fan which intermittently makes the above sound while behaving pretty well at other times. By the looks of it it is a common enough issue with this unit in the cheaper CS series.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

CS series was discontinued...and wasn't built by SeaSonic at the time. It was a cheapo indeed.
    Have you tried lubricating the fans? Because the PSU (by your description) still seems to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

They have offered to replace my CX750 with a CS750M for free due to the coil whine / buzzing noise.

Advertisement