Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start-up repair running everytime I turn on my laptop

Options
  • 26-10-2015 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭

Hi, having a problem with my Sony Vaio laptop. Everytime I turn it on it goes to the windows start-up screen, then freezes, so I unplug and remove the battery and turn it on again and it runs start-up repair. It has been doing this for a week now. I suspect it has something to do with a windows update. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

Hi, having a problem with my Sony Vaio laptop. Everytime I turn it on it goes to the windows start-up screen, then freezes, so I unplug and remove the battery and turn it on again and it runs start-up repair. It has been doing this for a week now. I suspect it has something to do with a windows update. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

When it starts hit F8 so you can enter "safe mode" then do a restore back to the last point (ask if your not familiar with the restore procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks, start-up repair automatically restores the system to the last safe point but then when I turn off the updates load again and it does the same thing next time. Is there a way I can stop the updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Try this to turn off updates, right click my computer then go to properties and windows updates, then go to change settings and turn off important updates. Also you can go to installed updates and uninstall which one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I had a problem ,it would check the disk every time i turned on the laptop,
    ie check all the files ,20,40,70 per cent .
    i let it finish ,go to 100 per cent disk check ,now it just starts up as normal.
    i understand startup repair may not be the same as the disk check.

I upgraded to Windows 10, problem seems to be solved.

• Advertisement

My friend's daughter is having exactly the same issue today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My laptop has a slightly loose power cable,sony vaio .
    its designed that way. not a fault.
    if i load up windows ,if i move laptop in a certain way, the power to laptop is lost instantly .
    if power is lost,suddenly ,
    suddenly without going through normal shutdown process ,
    i get startup ,disk check .
    IT takes 15minutes it check s the disk , 0-100 per cent.
    Then it loads window 7 ok.
    ie works fine as long as i go through the normal windows shutdown process .

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My friend's daughter is having exactly the same issue today.

Its possible this is the W10 update trying to auto-install and failing. They've started to push it as a "regular" update.

If you go into the windows update history you'll see if something is repeatedly failing.
    riclad wrote: »
    My laptop has a slightly loose power cable,sony vaio .
    its designed that way. not a fault.
    if i load up windows ,if i move laptop in a certain way, the power to laptop is lost instantly .
    if power is lost,suddenly ,
    suddenly without going through normal shutdown process ,
    i get startup ,disk check .
    IT takes 15minutes it check s the disk , 0-100 per cent.
    Then it loads window 7 ok.
    ie works fine as long as i go through the normal windows shutdown process .

Nothing to do with the OPs post.

Advertisement