Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R9 390 or Gtx 970?

Options
  • 26-10-2015 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭

Or something else??

I'm currently looking at upgrading from my Gtx 760 within the next month. It's more than likely going to be R9 390 or GTX 970, say MSI for either one.

Price-wise I can get either for about the same.

I'm currently pulled more towards the 390. 8gb vram is very nice.

What's everyone here more inclined to go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You know you're going to mod the pants off Fallout, the VRAM will help you there.

Are you at 1920x1080?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

You know you're going to mod the pants off Fallout, the VRAM will help you there.

Are you at 1920x1080?

Ah yes, never thought of the mods vram wise :cool:

I am yeah, dual monitor but obviously only gaming on one. Next thing I'd like to go up to 1440p or 144hz or both, I'll look into that in the New Year.

Another plus for the 8gb!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Go with nvidia purely for gsync, its just amazing,and yes its better than freesync from amd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would probably go 390 as well if you're going to 1440p. Bit cheaper and the vram is a plus. Not that you'll need the full 8GB ever really, but it does trump the 970's technical 3.5GB.

Unless of course you go for a gsync monitor. Not used one personally, so can't comment, but hear nothing but positive things.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tun_80

Just bought a gtx 970 ssc by evga and a 27" 144hz gsync monitor, won't have the cpu till tomorrow but ill let ya know what kind of numbers I'm getting from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Dcully wrote: »
    Go with nvidia purely for gsync, its just amazing,and yes its better than freesync from amd.

What set up you running yours on. Is it asus rog?

What set up you running yours on. Is it asus rog?

AOC G2460PG 144hz 1 ms Gsync 1080.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I went with a 390 as the whole 3.5gb debacle and that DX12 will be better supported with AMD

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

R9 390. Especially the Sapphire Nitro one. G-Sync currently is not worth it (maybe when the price drops to €60 extra over an equivalent monitorbut not now) and GameWorks usually affects performance more than it should. (Witcher 3 had Hairworks on to x32 Tessalation. Crysis 3 tessalated water the player couldn't see)
    A-Synchronous compute (still a possability) will help DX12 performance. Something Maxwell does not have A-Sync units (it does have a pipeline).
    The 8GB will help with mods, and 1440p games.

I have to disagree about gsync its a total game changer for me and worth every cent.
    Having said that the vram of the 390 is a huge plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

390 and freesync for the win.
    Will run a bit hotter mind but wouldnt mind that too much if your case has decent airflow.

Advertisement