Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent clicking noises

Options
  • 26-10-2015 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭

Getting intermittent clicking noises. Ran disk checks, comes up okay, etc, but the clicks... they're not continuous, as I have had with the "click of death", but it does concern me.

Anyone know of a decent tool that can tell me if the HDD is fecked or not? Or even which HDD is affected?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

the_syco wrote: »
    Getting intermittent clicking noises. Ran disk checks, comes up okay, etc, but the clicks... they're not continuous, as I have had with the "click of death", but it does concern me.

Anyone know of a decent tool that can tell me if the HDD is fecked or not? Or even which HDD is affected?

I ran HD tune on old hard drive before that was acting up, came up with no bad sectors, but when I ran the read/write benchmark the speed dropped away to nothing at one point. Of course, the benchmark could FUBAR your hard drive potentially if its on the verge!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Ignore SMART, its useless for the most part.

2. Get Spinrite. Hard disk miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Might not be the HDDs - when are you getting the clicks?

If it's mostly when you're putting the PC under load, I'd check the cabling (especially if you've moved the pc recently). A loose cable near a fan can give a clicking noise that comes and goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

L wrote: »
    Might not be the HDDs - when are you getting the clicks?
    PC would be probably idling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mad Englishman

My guess would be as follows...
    1- Hard disk,
    2- Wire near a fan,
    3- Optical disk drive.
    I any case make sure you take back-ups REGULARLY! @Cause IF it is the HDD at least you'll have a copy of your data, or my prefrance in this situation a cloned image of the entire HDD to copy straight onto a nice new SSD/HDD and pick up right where I left off. If you have a spare drive kicking about, try switching it out and see if that solves the "CLICK!", same applies to the DVD/Blu-Ray. But first I would check the condition of the fans as these are "Normally" the cheapest repair (That is unless you own a laptop!!!).

Hope this helps,

Kev B. (AKA {The} Mad Englishman!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement