Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire in dublin airport

Options
  • 26-10-2015 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hello all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips on minimizing the cost of car rental when returning home. I'm back on dec 12th and returning on jan 7th. I've heard leaving it until you get to the airport can sometimes work out good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Car hire companies have a big fleet in the summer and sell some of these this time of year, as business is less. Then Christmas comes along and they could rent twice the number they have left. If you were arriving on Jan 7th you could certainly take a chance and haggle, but I would prebook for Christmas and hope you get a half decent rate. Check the consolidators e.g. autoeurope.ie for an idea of the rates out there, then check all the companies directly.

Remember that car hire insurance has a €1000-€15000 excess, unless you take the extra insurance. If you do not take the extra insurance, for instance there are third party policies, then you need to be able to place a hold on your credit card to this amount.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 white van man pyh90tm

buy a cheap wreck and sell b4 leaving, i do it when i go usa

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips on minimizing the cost of car rental when returning home. I'm back on dec 12th and returning on jan 7th. I've heard leaving it until you get to the airport can sometimes work out good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

I wouldn't risk leaving it to airport, have been queuing at the various car desks over the years behind people with no cars booked as they were sent packing.
    Even with a car booked it can be a bit hit and miss. To date have never got the car we booked...

Take the insurance out or else bring proof of alternate insurance arrangements that equal or exceed the hire company or they won't give you car.

And be prepared for the bus ride form the terminal to the car hire office to pick up car. Adds more time to the whole "experience".

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

I found the hire price for the Christmas period to be vastly inflated in comparison to earlier in the year. I ended up getting the bus from the airport then hiring a car from a local company.

Advertisement