Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is what residents living near UCC have to put up with

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Disgraceful.

Report it to the city council and UCC.

See all the little country girls who have now become street whores. Yer one in the blue dress can barely walk straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Disgraceful.

See all the little country girls who have now become street whores. Yer one in the blue dress can barely walk straight.

I wouldn't let an animal live in those conditions. Have the residents no self respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Mongfinder - the refuse on the street was a result of the students behaviour.

The residents in the area have lots of self-respect.

Unfortunately, some students feel that they can behave like animals, hooligans and thugs.

The area around Magazine Rd is a quiet residential neighbourhood. It is sometimes spoiled by the loutish behaviour of a few people.

I really hope that a few people in the video can be identified by the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Tipping over bins and being loud has been the staple sport of assholes since I was in college, Since I learnt that I lived 4 miles away from the college while I was there. You can also nearly be guaranteed that in that house there is one poor chap locked in his room wishing they'd all shag off home, and the neighbours are giving him dirty looks every morning (ask me how I know)

Report it to the accommodations place in the college, they take this thing very seriously, and say it to the landlord, they tend to give their phone number to most of the neighbours to let them know when these things are happening. The college will bring the residents in front of a board and threaten to kick them out if they're caught at the same crap, and they'll also find it very hard to rent a place again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Disgraceful.

lol

This isn't the 1950's any more, get over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

lol

This isn't the 1950's any more, get over it

Ok for 2015 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Ok for 2015 ?

Not the students acting the gowl, I was talking about his comment about "little country girls". Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Disgraceful.

Drunk =/= whore.

What the hell is wrong with you? Why are you poking at the girls and not the guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If this happened in London or NY or San Fran, it would be on Joe.ie as "Irish show locals how to REALLY party!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭brevity

The noise and level of disrespect to the neighbouring residents is disgraceful but the Country girls/Street whores comment is embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not the students acting the gowl, I was talking about his comment about "little country girls". Stupid.

Agreed, don't give a dam about the girls getting off there faces, if that's want they want to do. but throwing bins the shouting,looked like a riot was about to start, pity the people living along that street,afraid to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

My grandmother's house is just around the corner from Magazine Road, so I know the area extremely well. I would say that the problem has been increasing year on year for the last 10 years or so. It's a terrible pity, those houses were built for families and there are so many memories in the place, makes me very very sad to see it being trashed by these kids. It's not cheap to live around there either, they clearly have no appreciation for what they're being given in order to study.

I just spent six months there and I would often be walking home at night to the sight of drunk (or once on Ketamine) BIS students from Bally- go- wherever wandering around singing, kicking over bins, smashing bottles all over the road. And this doesn't happen everywhere. I am a student in NL and the worst I have ever seen from their Dutch/ German/ etc counterparts is having a sneaky smoke out the window of non smoking accommodation. And the bars here are open until 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My grandmother's house is just around the corner from Magazine Road, so I know the area extremely well. I would say that the problem has been increasing year on year for the last 10 years or so. It's a terrible pity, those houses were built for families and there are so many memories in the place, makes me very very sad to see it being trashed by these kids. It's not cheap to live around there either, they clearly have no appreciation for what they're being given in order to study.

I just spent six months there and I would often be walking home at night to the sight of drunk (or once on Ketamine) BIS students from Bally- go- wherever wandering around singing, kicking over bins, smashing bottles all over the road. And this doesn't happen everywhere. I am a student in NL and the worst I have ever seen from their Dutch/ German/ etc counterparts is having a sneaky smoke out the window of non smoking accommodation. And the bars here are open until 5am.

Were they wearing their hoodies or something, or were they shouting from the top of their lungs about their Accoutancy followed by coding lectures in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

razorblunt wrote: »
    Were they wearing their hoodies or something, or were they shouting from the top of their lungs about their Accoutancy followed by coding lectures in the morning?

I went to UCC. I saw them in the library, Áras na Mac Léinn, in lectures. In some cases, yes, they would be shouting at the top of their lungs at 3am about what they were studying. As well as all day every day around the Quad, especially during student elections and RAG week.

I do concede though, the Ketamine casualty (who in that incident we prevented being hit by a car) was an economics student who's "friends" thought it would be funny to kick out of his house on College Road and tell him he actually lived in Ballincollig.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Why didn't that video end with the guards arriving and breaking it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

the house in the video is actually my old college house from two years. i think its just a disgrace. the house to the left in the video has a young family from italy living there and your mans eldery mother also lives with them too. i feel extremely sad for him cause he is actually a lovely guy and when we were staying their once or twice we had house party of our own and he was very understanding and there was never a problem. its students like these that makes all the rest of the students painted with the one brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Post it on the Red Fm/ 96 Fm Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

to compare the behaviour of these students to animals is grossly unfair to animals.
    animals don't go rampaging around destroying things, leaving chaos in their wake.
    these so-called privilaged few, who spent the past couple of years attempting to gain the points necessary to enter college, just lose the head at the smallest bit of freedom.

the ones on video are only a small % of the college students in cork. the majority of cork students are grand. well able to enjoy themselves and respect others. this lot need to grow up. and their parents need to realise what a shame their are to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If this is how the privileged, educated young people behave it's actually amazing that the less privileged in our society aren't constantly rioting.

What a bunch of total scumbags - no excuse.

The future leaders of industry?
    The future leaders of our country?

I despair.
    It's not just the outright thuggish behaviour, it's also the lowest common denominator idea of fun. "let's get pissed and sing ole ole ole and the fields of Athenry" Really? These are the educated ones?

I'm not suggesting that it would be OK if their thuggish behaviour was clever and funny but for me, the sheer dumbassness of it all makes me despair for the future.

Thick, ignorant, criminaly inconsiderate morons.
    I really, really hope serious action is taken against these dopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

mikeym wrote: »
    Post it on the Red Fm/ 96 Fm Facebook page.

a local resident was on redfm at 9:20 this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

chipsdave wrote: »
    The Chickens are coming home to roost now for The Yummie Mummies and Their spoiled Brats

I see no consequences here for these eejits, unless the yummi mummies are living next door and getting awakened by this nonsense? Where is the roosting?

I guess we all know it must be some woman's fault anyway, that's for sure. If you go far enough back some female must have birthed them, right? :rolleyes:

Were the gardaí called at all, or just smartphones all set to record?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

theres probably a million layers to this problem but heres my take on it. as a country we aint properly dealing with our issues related to alcohol and drug use, and subsequently mental health problems. i find it deeply embarrassing that we re known for own drinking habits globally. ive gotten very strange looks from foreigners when i tell them im not really a drinker. we need to address these issues as it looks like its getting worse particularly since there is an easier access to all sorts of illegal drugs nowadays also, and the combination is causing some very serious issues nationally.

our educational system needs a massive overhaul. it is not doing a good job of preparing kids for adulthood. this is probably leading to or certainly helping to lead to behaviour seen in this video. there is too much academia in the world of academia. we should be showing our kids how to look after themselves both physically and mentally, and this should be done in the years leading up to third level. these skills traditionally would have been left to parents, but since now, its almost a requirement that both parents work full time in order to run a home. there is virtually little or no time for parents to do so, so this is where it should be done during early school years. there is also way too much pressure on kids to perform in our educational system, this is probably also leading to the behaviour seen in this video. cork is also not alone in this behaviour. i know many families that have had to move from their family homes due to the fact. basically the behaviour in this video is due to very complicated social problems and has many complicated multilayered causes. i feel very sorry for the residents in this video but this is fairly common nationally. sadly it looks like the changes required to prevent this kind of behaviour will probably never occur so blah blah blah blah blah....

pwurple wrote: »

I guess we all know it must be some woman's fault anyway, that's for sure. If you go far enough back some female must have birthed them, right? :rolleyes:?

Clearly it's the fault of the young ones in the skimpy dresses. They're driving the young buck's hormones crazy!
    And where did the young ones learn it?
    From their mothers!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

I know this doesn't excuse the behaviour of the students in the video but, the students on Magazine Road have been videoed most Tuesdays and Thursdays (student night outs basically) since the beginning of September. I think it's wrong to say this is what UCC students are like this all the time when it takes nearly 2 months to capture footage of us acting "bad" enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Templers hall in waterford is much much worse then what i seen in that video ......

Its a housing area with over 160 houses out of 200 filled up with students. And the partys are a lot more crazier then that.

I ended up at one there during Rag week this year and over say 60 people in a small 3 bedroom house passing around a bong and others doing lines of Coke and pills central as well that was just one house party of maybe 40 + up there that night.

otpmb wrote: »
    I know this doesn't excuse the behaviour of the students in the video but, the students on Magazine Road have been videoed most Tuesdays and Thursdays (student night outs basically) since the beginning of September. I think it's wrong to say this is what UCC students are like this all the time when it takes nearly 2 months to capture footage of us acting "bad" enough.

Sorry, but the fact that an element of the student population showes themselves to be ignorant, moronic gob****es, even once is enough to make me despair.

That they're only like that sometimes hardly makes it better.

Apart from the obvious victims of their behaviour, I also feel sorry for the students who don't roam in idiot packs baying in the night. The kind of students who like to enjoy a night out without being antisocial c***s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

otpmb wrote: »

Most people, to be fair, wouldn't tar all students with the same brush but saying there's only one video like this over 2 months is not something to hold up as an achievement. Those students let their university and their neighbours down and I doubt they give 2 sh*ts. In fact, they're probably delighted that a video of their crazy mental party is going viral.

Hopefully UCC comes down hard on this and takes some action. There'll always be a couple of noisy drunks wandering the streets on the way to town/home but that house party should never have happened and I don't know how the Gardai weren't at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bacchus wrote: »
    I don't know how the Gardai weren't at the scene.

maybe they were understaffed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Still tempers hall waterford

You be woke up countless times of guys boxing the heads off each other in the sts, People having sex in your garden, cars parked everywhere and anywhere !!!, when i lived up there you would have to walk on the road as there was no room to walk on the foot paths. Then the dirt around the place as students don't care and there is bins burned to the ground and rubbish everywhere. Then there is always the nobs who be driving up and down the area and screaming at you from there cars.

One night we even found a car parked in our drive way covered completely in loo roll and permeant black marker. Never seen the car before this and called the Garda over it as they where in our yard and didnt give a crap really. Then WITMESS open there where do i start ?. 6 Garda cars and a van in the area to keep it under control up there.

The place is a crime central as well with countless amounts of houses being brooking into and must of them happen when students let in all these random people into there houses and they take the back door keys for themselves and will hit the houses at the weekends when no one is there.

There was back in 3 months in 2011 (Dont know any newer numbers). 126 Public disorder incidents in 4 months up there with 21 persons being arrested for offences relating to public disorder, assault, drink driving, possession of drugs for sale or supply and theft related offences.

People here really need to see that place to give a great idea of a student place out of control as anyone i know from waterford you say templers hall they go how did you live up there ?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I lived on Magazine Road from 1996-2000 and jaysus we acted like complete drunken dickheads on more than one occasion but I never saw a scene like that before. Prob because my landlord was a Guard!

I am going to make a sweeping generalistion and IMO they are bogger GAA heads just thrown out of the Wash- is that still going?....:D

Surprised the Guards were not called.

Advertisement