Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suede - 10th Feb- Olympia

Options
  • 26-10-2015 12:47pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

February 10th 2016

Tickets from €45.05 (including booking fees) On Sale This Friday at 10am.

Monday 26th October 10am.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Tyrell Wellick

Oh thats fantastic news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Presale tickets onsale now via Suede's fb page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭paulbok

Very quiet here for this gig.
    Really enjoying the new album so looking forward to Wednesday night.
    Different structure to this one, no support, Suede are playing off the new album for half the gig and older material for the second.
    Depends how long they play for I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Please note that this is not a straight forward Suede ‘rock’ show, the show consists of 2 parts... Doors open 7pm, no support act. Approximate stage times as follows:

1st part = 8:30 - 9:20 pm
    *band behind film screen (gauze) – screen rigged from downstage edge
    *playing new album in full & chronological order
    *film played on screen throughout
    *total performance is approx 50 mins

15 mins interval – change over 9:20 pm - 9:40 pm approx

2nd part = 9:40 - 10:40 pm
    *standard’ rock show
    *performance time is approx 50 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thanks Adrian522. That’s good to know. Thought it would be starting at 9. Just picked up a ticket yesterday, after persevering away on toutless.
    Really looking forward to it. New album is really good. And great to get a mix of the old tunes for the second half. If they play Pigs, Flashboy and The 2 of us, I will be one ecstatic punter. Either way, I’m sure I’ll leave happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No worries, that was a copy and paste job from the Olympia website, they are usually pretty good for posting stage times for upcoming gigs.

Personally I haven't seen suede live since they played Dublin Castle around the time of coming up so also really looking forward to this one!

No worries, that was a copy and paste job from the Olympia website, they are usually pretty good for posting stage times for upcoming gigs.

Personally I haven't seen suede live since they played Dublin Castle around the time of coming up so also really looking forward to this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I know it's not the right place but toutless seems to be down, have a spare circle ticket for this for anyone who wants one.

(as per the sticky at the root of the forum, would be a freebie rather than it going to waste)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I know it's not the right place but toutless seems to be down, have a spare circle ticket for this for anyone who wants one.

(as per the sticky at the root of the forum, would be a freebie rather than it going to waste)

Hi , I would LOVE the ticket; broke Suede diehard sent you a PM.

Thanks, Stonedpilot.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

responded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭scruffmonkey

well then, I don't think there was a single unmoistened gusset or bloke questioning his sexual menu at the end of that gathering

well then, I don't think there was a single unmoistened gusset or bloke questioning his sexual menu at the end of that gathering

In fairness, he is a sexy bastard

What a great gig. Night thoughts sounded excellent live and the film worked well I thought. Second half was just magic. Brett Anderson is a ridiculously good front man. Hard to believe he's kicking the arse of 50. His energy levels are crazy. Only disappointment was lack of Kilking of a Flashboy. Gig of the year wrapped up in February. Impressive.

Snarky Snark Snark

Twas truely wonderful, EP appearance please now....

Snarky Snark Snark

why the hell am i appearing as two different entities?
    one with space and one without!

There's a song lyric in there but it's a ****e one.

Twas truely wonderful, EP appearance please now....

A non Friday EP appearance please.

Fantastic gig. T'was a gig of two halves for sure. The playthrough of Night Thoughts, performed behind the movie screen, really amplified the emotions of both the music and the actual film, something you'd expect to see in an art house instead of a rock concert.
    Then part 2 with the hits ( am I right in saying they didn't play anything off Dogman?) had the crowd rocking. He is an incredible front man, the energy he has really feeds the crowd. And I was really impressed how his voice could carry a song with no microphone and that the crowd sushed enough to let him.

paulbok wrote: »
    Then part 2 with the hits ( am I right in saying they didn't play anything off Dogman?) had the crowd rocking. He is an incredible front man, the energy he has really feeds the crowd. And I was really impressed how his voice could carry a song with no microphone and that the crowd sushed enough to let him.
    Played just a couple of Dog Man Star. Heroine and New Generation. Think the first album got a good few outings. Moving, So Young, Animal Nitrate and Metal Mickey from what I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Outstanding. Definitely a gig of two halves, both of which were superb.

I've never seen the Olympia stage covered from top to bottom in a semi-transparent screen like that. It worked beautifully, occasionally catching glimpses of the band, but mostly feeling the impact of the visuals with the excellent music.
    As for the second part - wow. Such intense energy. It felt like it only lasted about 10 minutes. Hit after hit after hit. Magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

*Double post*

Outstanding. Definitely a gig of two halves, both of which were superb.

I've never seen the Olympia stage covered from top to bottom in a semi-transparent screen like that. It worked beautifully, occasionally catching glimpses of the band, but mostly feeling the impact of the visuals with the excellent music.
    As for the second part - wow. Such intense energy. It felt like it only lasted about 10 minutes. Hit after hit after hit. Magical.
    Shows the strength of their back catalogue that they managed to play a set full of hits yet still left out many crowd favourites. No Wild Ones, Killing of a Flashboy,We are the Pigs, Drowners, My Insatiable One To the Birds, It starts and ends with you, lazy, can't get enough etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

As mentioned here already, last nights gig had it all. He is some front man, very impressive. The comedic moments were very funny especially the guy in the front row who called him 'Burt' when he got the mic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

That's the 7th time I've seen suede.
    The film on the screen gave this show a different dynamic to the previous 6.
    I seen Bowie twice in 1990 using exactly the same set up, albeit on a bigger scale.

Last night was fantastic, although not a good as their last show here. Even Anderson made reference to that gig last night and described it as one of the best shows they'd ever done.

Its great to see him wandering through the crowd. His charisma more than makes up for the lack of it from his bandmates.

Snarky Snark Snark

poundhound wrote: »
    The film on the screen gave this show a different dynamic to the previous 6.
    I seen Bowie twice in 1990 using exactly the same set up, albeit on a bigger scale.

yeah, the sound and vision tour, still have my ticket and massive glossy program from that tour.

It was a good gig no doubt, I could have done with a bit more in the seconds part of the show but maybe I'm being a bit greedy. I'm not overly familiar with stuff from Bloodsports or Head music but still thought those worked ok.

I would have liked more Dog man Star stuff but can't have everything I guess.

I liked him telling the guy in the front to STFU.

For a sold out standing section I thought there was plenty of room there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

yeah, the sound and vision tour, still have my ticket and massive glossy program from that tour.

I vaguely remember the screens on Sound & Vision, I think they were either side of the stage, so something you occasionally glanced at (I saw it at the now demolished London Docklands Arena).

Last night was quite different as you were forced to watch the film as it covered the entire stage. It was very effective with the album and film coming full circle with the closing song Fur & the Feathers. Emotionally really involving. I read a poignant comment Brett made in a recent interview that really came across in the film:

"Before you become a parent, you think of all those cliches about how it’s going to change your life, and of course those things are absolutely true. But not for one second did I think about that absolute fear, that terrifying pit-in-the-stomach fear of losing your kids.”

Second half - what a blast one. One the best gigs I've seen in a long time.

My only old man gripe. You'd think during such a great gig & emotionally involving first set, people could stop tweeting, whatsapping, Facebooking checking how West Brom are doing in the FA cup etc. Enjoy & experience the moment. That's why we go to gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya, there were a couple of instances where chatting was getting out of hand, causing tensions and square-ups. Bit of hand-bags stuff. There were 4 guys beside in the middle of the standing area. It was like a reunion. They spent the first half talking about the good auld days, and how hugging and kissing each other. It was annoying for a while. But when the greatest hits came out, these guys pulled out all of the stops. Very energetic. Thought for a while that 1 of them was Brett Anderson, with the swivelling moves he was pulling off. I think he though himself that he was Brett.

Anyway, great gig. Loved the Everything will Flow moment. And the old songs sound so much more energetic live than on album. There was a whole pile of songs that I wanted them to play, but they didn't - and it doesn't matter one bit.

Advertisement