Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become math teacher?

Options
  • 26-10-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,
    I am planning to move Dublin. I have my MBA degree from university of wales.
    Now I want to become Math teacher in Ireland. I don't have any previous experience of teaching. I need some information, How can I become a math teacher and from where should I start to teach?(What will be the best option for new beginner).
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mac8067

FishOnABike: Thanks Dear for your reply. It is really helpful.

Do I need any Irish language qualification for a teaching job?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

From citizens information website http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/primary_and_post_primary_education/teachers_and_schools/teacher_qualifications_at_primary_and_post_primary_level.html

"Post-primary teachers do not need to have a qualification in the Irish language unless they are employed by a Gaeltacht school or a school where Irish is the medium of instruction."

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

hi,
    Good luck with your move. Just check that your primary degree will qualify you to teach maths here - I am pretty sure that an MBA won't suffice. Then you have to do a masters in education which takes two years. Then there is the small matter of trying to get a job - very difficult at the moment. Do you have a second teaching subject. You would be much more employable with something like eg Maths and Business or Maths and Accounting combinations.
    Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

You need to have a degree with at least 54 credits of relevant and appropriate maths as far as I remember (as assessed by the Teaching Council). You need to do a masters in education which is 2 years long and pretty darn expensive. There are very very few jobs and next to no full time positions, everything is part time. To be employable you will need a second subject. I'm not trying to be negative but it is very tough in teaching at the moment with no sign of any let up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

You need to have a degree with at least 54 credits of relevant and appropriate maths as far as I remember (as assessed by the Teaching Council). You need to do a masters in education which is 2 years long and pretty darn expensive. There are very very few jobs and next to no full time positions, everything is part time. To be employable you will need a second subject. I'm not trying to be negative but it is very tough in teaching at the moment with no sign of any let up

I wouldn't be so negative about job prospects for a fully qualified maths teacher. As a core subject automatically there are more hours available in schools for maths and we are being told that les and less maths graduates are being attracted into the profession as they see better pay/prospects in privates industry or elsewhere.

Also demographics need to be factored in to the equation. The school going population is rising currently and will continue to do so for another decade. Even if there is no increase in the pupil teacher ratios there will be many hundreds if not thousands of new jobs coming on stream in that time.

As others have said, having a second subject helps, but the ability to teach something like IT could also swing a job for you.

PS you might notice we don't call it Math here in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

The population has been rising for a long while now but has not resulted in jobs as far more teachers than are actually needed are being qualified every year. There has been positives floated about maths for the last 10 years, it's a core subject, oh there aren't enough qualified teachers, there's loads of retirements because of project maths. My experience on the ground is that none of that has come to pass and even this year there were many many multiples of applicants to the jobs available in our school. In fact even within the school we had five part time teachers all with maths vying for one position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The population has been rising for a long while now but has not resulted in jobs as far more teachers than are actually needed are being qualified every year. There has been positives floated about maths for the last 10 years, it's a core subject, oh there aren't enough qualified teachers, there's loads of retirements because of project maths. My experience on the ground is that none of that has come to pass and even this year there were many many multiples of applicants to the jobs available in our school. In fact even within the school we had five part time teachers all with maths vying for one position

And therein is the solution to the rising population, these part timers will just be bumped up in hours to bigger CID's (how many will be made permanent?).

so...as joebloggs said
    " there will be many hundreds if not thousands of new jobs coming on stream in that time." But, You have to remember to plan for long-long term. The peek population is set at 2025, then a fall off will occur, what would any school do with these "hundreds if not thousands of new jobs coming on stream" then?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    And therein is the solution to the rising population, these part timers will just be bumped up in hours to bigger CID's (how many will be made permanent?).

so...as joebloggs said
    " there will be many hundreds if not thousands of new jobs coming on stream in that time." But, You have to remember to plan for long-long term. The peek population is set at 2025, then a fall off will occur, what would any school do with these "hundreds if not thousands of new jobs coming on stream" then?

After the peak, yes the number of positions will fall if ptr's are kept the same. However there will always be people retiring which should balance out the numbers somewhat. It is the graduates after the peak who would find it harder to get a start than those in the next decade in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

After the peak, yes the number of positions will fall if ptr's are kept the same. However there will always be people retiring which should balance out the numbers somewhat. It is the graduates after the peak who would find it harder to get a start than those in the next decade in my view.

Aye but don't forget the large cohort who were retired off early in the last 5 years. But maybe you're right it'll be a balancing act for the 'gvt for life' civil servants to account for it, and I'm sure the ministers are informed of the long term strategies to pay for it aswell (maybe keeping the NQT payscales low for as long as possible and offering another early retirement 'incentive' ... or else putting pressure on older staff to leave (I know increased paperwork/micro management would make a lot of teachers think about calling it a day)).

But I suppose I'm getting way off topic, maybe for the OP it'll be down to how risk averse they are themselves (in terms of investment/family circumstances).

At a shot in the dark I would say OP that I would give you a 87% chance that you will be working part time in 10 years, possibly CID (70%) and a permanent full time job would be about 50%.

Unless you know someone... but that's for another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

PS you might notice we don't call it Math here in Ireland

They don't in Wales either :-)

katydid wrote: »
    They don't in Wales either :-)

Yes I think in Wales they call it mmmaaathhhammmmmaaaaaatcallllllllll

Advertisement