Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 6 screen repair

• 26-10-2015 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

Did I dream that Apple charged around 120 for screen repair ? Trying to send it in for repair online and it's quoting me 321.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Did I dream that Apple charged around 120 for screen repair ? Trying to send it in for repair online and it's quoting me 321.

They don't repair the screen they replace the phone. I sent my phone in because it was having battery issues and the screen got damaged in transit (thanks UPS) they tried charging me over 300 euro and when I explained it was fine before sending and showed them a photo I took they waived the fee and just sent me a new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

GrayFox208 wrote: »
    They don't repair the screen they replace the phone. I sent my phone in because it was having battery issues and the screen got damaged in transit (thanks UPS) they tried charging me over 300 euro and when I explained it was fine before sending and showed them a photo I took they waived the fee and just sent me a new phone.

There is a screen replacement option as opposed to just an out of warranty repair. I presume they just replace the screen and send it back.

guil wrote: »
    There is a screen replacement option as opposed to just an out of warranty repair. I presume they just replace the screen and send it back.

No they don't replace the screen. It's too much work for them. Because the screens are fused together to make the phone thinner. You have the glass the LCD and the touch all stuck together in the iPhone shell where would you think they'd pry it open without damaging the casing or internals? It wouldn't happen. They just destroy your iPhone and replace it with a new one. And screen repairs aren't covered by Apple 1 year warranty. Which is why it's so dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

So I managed to speak to support.

Option 1: Send in the phone for repair and they repair and return your same phone and it costs 121 but you are without the phone for 6 days.

Option 2: Express replacement service. They send you a refurb, you send your damaged phone back. Cost 320.

I'd be happy to pay 121 but can't be without it for 6 days so can anyone recommend a walk-in repair place in Dublin city centre? I'm more concerned about quality of repair than cost.

So I managed to speak to support.

Option 1: Send in the phone for repair and they repair and return your same phone and it costs 121 but you are without the phone for 6 days.

Option 2: Express replacement service. They send you a refurb, you send your damaged phone back. Cost 320.

I'd be happy to pay 121 but can't be without it for 6 days so can anyone recommend a walk-in repair place in Dublin city centre? I'm more concerned about quality of repair than cost.

If you have any warranty at all get Apple to fix it.

• Advertisement

No they don't replace the screen. It's too much work for them. Because the screens are fused together to make the phone thinner. You have the glass the LCD and the touch all stuck together in the iPhone shell where would you think they'd pry it open without damaging the casing or internals? It wouldn't happen. They just destroy your iPhone and replace it with a new one. And screen repairs aren't covered by Apple 1 year warranty. Which is why it's so dear.
    Where did I say they replaced the glass only? It's easy to replace the whole screen and doesn't take long at all. I have done a few iPhone 5's, there's about 13 screws in total to remove.

Also what on earth makes you think they destroy the phone you send back? That's ludicrous, they realise it and give it a new serial number and send it out as a refurb.

Where did I say they replaced the glass only? It's easy to replace the whole screen and doesn't take long at all. I have done a few iPhone 5's, there's about 13 screws in total to remove.

Also what on earth makes you think they destroy the phone you send back? That's ludicrous, they realise it and give it a new serial number and send it out as a refurb.

No they don't. They aren't allowed. Data protection disallows. You realise you can't change the IMEI on a phone? And yeah because an iPhone 5 is the exact same as a 6. Wiping memory doesn't mean the information isn't still there, so they recycle the phone it's not sold as a refurb.

No they don't. They aren't allowed. Data protection disallows. You realise you can't change the IMEI on a phone? And yeah because an iPhone 5 is the exact same as a 6.

They are basically the same except the 6 is bigger.

They are basically the same except the 6 is bigger.

They are not the same. For one the 6 is thinner which mean the screen and other parts are fused together much tighter which makes it way harder to change the screen. The iPhone 5 screen was seperate to the other parts, not as true with a 6.

They are not the same. For one the 6 is thinner which mean the screen and other parts are fused together much tighter which makes it way harder to change the screen. The iPhone 5 screen was seperate to the other parts, not as true with a 6.

Go have a look at guides on ifixit, both are the same process to change the screen. Remove the two bottom screws and the glass, lcd and digitiser come out as one piece. Nowhere did I say you separated them.

You might want to read posts before diving in with a reply as well. I never said they changed the imei of a refurb, they give it a new serial number.

• Advertisement

Go have a look at guides on ifixit, both are the same process to change the screen. Remove the two bottom screws and the glass, lcd and digitiser come out as one piece. Nowhere did I say you separated them.

You might want to read posts before diving in with a reply as well. I never said they changed the imei of a refurb, they give it a new serial number.

I know what you said, however I can write down the IMEI of my iPhone and blacklist it to claim insurance after getting my replacement claiming it was stolen or lost, Apple then sell you a blacklisted phone, but that won't do, so they cannot therefore sell the ones sent in for repair. If a phone is replaced by Apple it's a write off, not fit for repair so it's scrapped.

If you have any warranty at all get Apple to fix it.

Recently out of warranty

I know what you said, however I can write down the IMEI of my iPhone and blacklist it to claim insurance after getting my replacement claiming it was stolen or lost, Apple then sell you a blacklisted phone, but that won't do, so they cannot therefore sell the ones sent in for repair. If a phone is replaced by Apple it's a write off, not fit for repair so it's scrapped.
    https://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/apple_certified.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I recently paid €85 for an iPhone 5 screen replacement in Pair in the Pavillions Shopping Centre, Swords (near Dunnes on the ground floor). It nearly killed me to pay the €85 but I have to admit the phone is like new.

I dropped it in and they told me to come back in 1 hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Here ya go, I posted this a while back in reply to a question regarding a botched local screen repair on a 6.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97203257&postcount=15

If it's out of warranty, you will not be getting it done for €121.

dodzy wrote: »
    Here ya go, I posted this a while back in reply to a question regarding a botched local screen repair on a 6.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97203257&postcount=15

If it's out of warranty, you will not be getting it done for €121.

See post no. 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No they don't replace the screen. It's too much work for them. Because the screens are fused together to make the phone thinner.

Not true. They do replace the display if possible and charge the display replacement fee & you get the same phone back.

If the display cannot be replaced, it requires a full handset replacement and you will be charged the full OOW cost. (i.e damage to the outer casing, bent enclosure, LCD damage).

Advertisement