Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't see out window when wipers are on.

• 26-10-2015 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭

Having a problem lately with seeing out my windscreen when the wipers are on and its raining out. Best way to describe it is that it's a bit like smoke/fog in on the outside of the window, the faster the wipers move the worse it is. Got the car washed a couple of days ago and its still doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Having a problem lately with seeing out my windscreen when the wipers are on and its raining out. Best way to describe it is that it's a bit like smoke/fog in on the outside of the window, the faster the wipers move the worse it is. Got the car washed a couple of days ago and its still doing it.

Was the car waxed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Nope, not during my ownership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Clean the window and wiper blades with hot water and washing up liquid to degrease them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Nope, not during my ownership.

I know when my oh washed my car previously he washed the windscreen with turtle wax wash and wax and it left a film. Anyway I used a car glass cleaner and it removed it..also clean the wiper blades

I'll give it a go tomorrow if it stops lashing and report back. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Does it only happen in the mornings when its a bit colder, and go away when the car heats up?
    Or is it more like a very bad smearing when the wipers are on?

It happens regardless of time of day. I even tried to see would the front de-mister do any help but no. It's just a nightmare in the dark. And yes smearing would be the best way to put it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's 1 thing I hate in mornings.

Smear on screen

That used to bother me but when I got the mondeo the built in de-mister usually sorts it within a couple of minutes at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

I'd use washing up liquid mixed into hot water and high(ish) ratio and agitate it with a scrub pad then rinse and repeat if necessary. Its most likely just a film of road grime and should be easily removed with the above method.

Report back either way, might also be ghosting from TFR which would require polishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It's either bonded traffic film or bonded contaminants. If it's available to you, Gtechniq G4 glass polish should remove it when applied with a normal applicator pad. You could also try using a clay bar to remove it.

If you have access to a detailer bring it there and they will polish the screen for you.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Can of Coke when it is raining.
    Pour it along the windscreen and allow it to flow down most of the way to the bottom.
    Turn on wipers and give a couple of wipes.
    Repeat once or twice.
    Only Real Coca Cola.

Wash car down with pressure wash. Do not use and "Wash & Wax" on it afterwards.
    If you go to the local wash , NEVER use what they call WAX in their program, This can cause a smear on the screen like you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Small blob of toothpaste wiped on to screen with a wet cloth and let wash wipe do the rest. Crystal clear screen every time for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

I've had this for few weeks now.. Think got some wax on windscreen after waxing car.. Three washes with IPA and cleaning wipers with it and finally smear free... Was scary driving in rain not being able to see out properly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

i'd say get new wiper blades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, new wiper blades can work miracles. A cloth soaked in coke and wipe/let sit 10 mins and wash off with warm soapy water.
    Clean inside of windscreen with water/white vinegar solution.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Curran wrote: »
    Does it only happen in the mornings when its a bit colder, and go away when the car heats up?
    Or is it more like a very bad smearing when the wipers are on?

I've been getting this recently, just when the car is cold. Wrecking my head, what's the best way to sort it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I've been getting this recently, just when the car is cold. Wrecking my head, what's the best way to sort it?

This happens every car and it's down to the way water/dew sits on the glass. It even happens on a Gtechniq-coated windscreen but doesn't last as long as an un-treated screen.

The only thing you can do is turn on your fan to clear the screen. Even though it's on the outside it works along with using the wipers to clear it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

This happens every car and it's down to the way water/dew sits on the glass. It even happens on a Gtechniq-coated windscreen but doesn't last as long as an un-treated screen.

The only thing you can do is turn on your fan to clear the screen. Even though it's on the outside it works along with using the wipers to clear it.

Have to replace the fan motor on the Pug :(

Ok so I've only managed to get around to using the washing up liquid method now. Used a dish sponge as well (the ones with the rough green part). Will report back when later on and see. If not ill try the coke method, failing that I'll clay it.

• Advertisement

Washing up liquid didn't do any good.

Having this problem again with the new car. Wipers only replaced a few weeks back with Bosch ones. So im guessing its whatever is in the stuff the car wash i use is using.

But my question is other coke what can i use to clean the wiper rubbers themselves as the smearing is only happening when the wipers are traveling up the windscreen. Would a bit of iron x even do the job ?

Have you an all purpose cleaner?

Have you an all purpose cleaner?

Ive a cheap multi purpose citrus cleaner from Dunnes ?

If this is a normal recurrence get into Halfords and buy an all purpose cleaner, the autoglym section is where I'd go.

OR

Go to a valet center and ask can they help you remove the grime on your windshield.

Saying all this it might need machine polishing also if it's 'ghosting' from chemicals drying on the glass.

Ive a cheap multi purpose citrus cleaner from Dunnes ?

I used ipa.. You can buy in chemist.. Mentholated spirits should do same..

Saying all this it might need machine polishing also if it's 'ghosting' from chemicals drying on the glass.

As in some "Wash N Wax" product ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Did you get in back seat by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

A 'Wash 'n' Wax' type product may cause this issue, but it could be another product or factor. As the lads have said, try a few different options starting with the least aggressive; an APC, then IPA, then perhaps consider polishing. It may need polish to get it right, and then keeping on top of it going forward.
    If you feel its a product you are using during your wash routine, say a shampoo or snowfoam or whatever, dont kill yourself trying not to get it on the windscreen, but rather give the windscreen a once over with something as the last thing you do!

• Advertisement

One thing to be careful is don't use the same drying towel for windscreen and rest of car.. Might seem obvious but I never copped it till Ian said it to me in auto clean..

One thing to be careful is don't use the same drying towel for windscreen and rest of car.. Might seem obvious but I never copped it till Ian said it to me in auto clean..

That is something that ive done before. Again im guessing its to do with the wax residue?

Advertisement