Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10. Invalid MS-DOS function

• 26-10-2015 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and all went well for about 2-3 weeks.
    However the last few days I have gotten a few errors.

Right no, when I try to delete a file or folder I am getting a dialog box with the title Action interrupted. The message given is Invalid MS-DOS function and the options to Try Again, Skip or Cancel

Just wondering if anyone has comes across anything similar. I have tried various files on C: drive and also network locations.

And yes, I did try switching it off an back on again
    thanks for reading
    :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I had a quick Google, and while it's a rare enough problem, there isn't a clear solution to it.

First and probably easiest things to try are to optimise and defrag your hard drive. For most problems, this probably wouldn't help, but others have had success with it.

Right click on your hard drive, then click properties => Tools => Optimise and defragment drive.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Seen a similar issue to this when the file explorer window is still open, it won't allow the delete because it gets confused about the number of users, and if the file is open for write or not.

In some cases, making sure all the other windows are closed, and then trying again will clear it, but in some cases, closing everything still does not allow the delete, there's some sort of timing issue with it, and after a time, the blocking lock is removed, and the delete then will work correctly.

A reboot usually clears the locks, so the delete will work on restart.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Yeah just to add a shut down and boot up dosent seem to work has to be a restart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭rock22

For what it's worth, I find that I can delete pdf files but not jpeg or doc files.

I followed recommendations from Microsoft community and couldn't get the computer to restart properly. Eventually I interrupted the startup ( with esc key) , did a backup, and finally the computer restarted correctly .

Not too sure about this win 10. Anyone know if I can revert to Windows 7 and install windows 10 at a later stage or do you only get one free upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

I had this issue before and Logging into Safe mode and deleting the files sorted it for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement