Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Adverts 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yeah it's a bit slick. I like last year's one with the (guy in the red) hoodie who was actually being Santa, though that one took a while to grow on me.

Eta: Actually that was 2 years ago. Last year was the nurse coming home after her overnight Christmas shift to find all her extended family up waiting for her. They both had a bit more heart.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was just about to post that one! It's nice and sparkly but I think it needs to be a bit cosier or something. That probably makes no sense. :D

You know what it's feels too modern to me for a Christmas ad if that makes sense. Too over produced and polished looking.

Their 2013 ad

And 2014 ad

Were so much better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Here is the 2015 John Lewis Christmas Advert. Released just 9 minutes ago.
    I think it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think it's lovely.

it's very nice but I don't think it's as good as previous years! I think John Lewis have themselves under a lot of pressure now to outdo the previous year all the time!

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »

LOVE this! Simple but well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I think it's lovely.

I love it! Highlights loneliness amongst older people and promotes science to girls

efb wrote: »
    I love it! Highlights loneliness amongst older people and promotes science to girls

You know, I watched it again and I think it's a grower! I still love the penguin one from last year though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

I think it's lovely.

Oh crap... That's the eye make-up ruined for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Not feeling it John Lewis, disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

I'm not sure about it. It feels like they are cashing in on "The Martian". And unlike the penguin one last year when the Penguin got a mate or the snowman one a few years ago the ending of this one feels bittersweet.

It's a US one but I really hope this one makes it over this side of the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBh0hgP8wWk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Like a few others here I'm not too sure about the John lewis one for this year. It reminds me of Disney Up with the old man and the balloons! It may grow on me but not my favourite from John lewis.

touts wrote: »
    It's a US one but I really hope this one makes it over this side of the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBh0hgP8wWk

Did that one just spoil Rey having the force!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Came home from the supermarket to the Mrs. bawling crying. I thought something serious had happened. When I asked her wtf, I got "The John Lewis Christmas Ad".

Oh Lordy. :)

I'm not going to watch it.

It's for girls. Yes. That's it. For girls.

iguana wrote: »
    Did that one just spoil Rey having the force!!!:eek:

Skat out of that before you draw the Star Wars lads on us. It's just children and their imagination playing on Christmas morning. :-)

Haha, seems the internet exploded on that one 4 days ago. :)
    https://www.google.com/search?q=duracel+ad+rey+force&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Still it's better than paypal spoiling Santa.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Came home from the supermarket to the Mrs. bawling crying. I thought something serious had happened. When I asked her wtf, I got "The John Lewis Christmas Ad".

Oh Lordy. :)

I'm not going to watch it.

It's for girls. Yes. That's it. For girls.

Must admit I was a bit moist of eye after watching it earlier.

It's lovely but doesn't feel particularly Christmassy.

I get the sentiment of it, old and lonely at Christmas, but I think they should have ended it with a real life scenario like they usually do, so if the old man lived across the road from the kid, but still 'half a world away', on his own, and we see him opening a gift left on his doorstep from the little girl or something along those lines.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    I get the sentiment of it, old and lonely at Christmas, but I think they should have ended it with a real life scenario like they usually do, so if the old man lived across the road from the kid, but still 'half a world away', on his own, and we see him opening a gift left on his doorstep from the little girl or something along those lines.

YES! Now that would have been a perfect way to end it, it'd give a real good feel factor to it, I still felt empty at the end, knowing the man was still alone up there on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭droidman123

I posted this in another christmas thread but its pure brilliance!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zIEIvi2MuEk

Its about 5 minutes but worth watching for the christmas feelgood factor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,315 ✭✭✭✭DvB

For me the best recent ones have been the John Lewis ones, the snowman one being my personal favourite, but the absolute 'now i know its christmas' advert is the Guinness one that starts with the old chap walking his dog in front of the customs house when the clock strikes midnight and the snowflake falls.... adore that ad. It even makes parliment street look amazing which is some feat :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7uehHRr7hU
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Loughc wrote: »
    YES! Now that would have been a perfect way to end it, it'd give a real good feel factor to it, I still felt empty at the end, knowing the man was still alone up there on his own.

That's what I was expecting all the way through. I bet that was the original intention but some muppet in the public relations team was worried it would make the girl seem like a peeping tom or something.

My favourite John Lewis one was from I think 2011 with the little boy counting down to Christmas. It so perfectly captured the utter ache a child feels as Christmas approaches so, so slowly. And then to turn it on his head and have it that he wasn't desperate to get his own presents but instead give the ones he had bought for his parents was so cheesey but in all the right ways. Perfect!

Eta: I'm still so excited that Rey has the force, she looks very like Leia from ESB so I'm sure she's her daughter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Why is John Lewis using the Royle Family theme tune?!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm not sure what I think about the John Lewis ad. It's a lovely message, but you're right, it would have been better if it turned out he lived across the street. I'm just sad now that the man is still on his own.

M&S. Very modern. I love the bit with the kids on the beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Cherrycola wrote: »

At least it's Christmassy.
    So far 2014>2015 for me.
    Agree with above sentiments of John Lewis ad. So many missed opportunities to turn a good ad into a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I posted this in another christmas thread but its pure brilliance!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=zIEIvi2MuEk

Its about 5 minutes but worth watching for the christmas feelgood factor

God Dame you I have seen it before, but once again I have something in my eye

• Advertisement

I love the Aldi one. I like any ads that show a cosy, warm Christmas with lots of food.

Advertisement