Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this worth it? (pre built)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

About €100 more than a similar machine to build yourself. I'd definitely switch out the PSU from that though

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dirk Hardpeck

About €100 more than a similar machine to build yourself. I'd definitely switch out the PSU from that though

Dabs.ie the best site for parts? And what PSU would you recommend? Thanks!

For the PSU or a full build? It's expensive

Amazon is fairly good.

SeaSonic, XFX, BeQuiet and Corsair make good PSUs, a 500w from any of those is loads

For the PSU or a full build? It's expensive

Amazon is fairly good.

SeaSonic, XFX, BeQuiet and Corsair make good PSUs, a 500w from any of those is loads

My budget is about €700, I'll check amazon too but I find that their delivery charge can be bonkers at times thus negating any decent deal you find.

It can all be a bit overwhelming, what with being a console gamer and all. I'm sure I'll get to grips with it eventually.

And would you build your own if you were given a parts list?

If not, the linked one isn't bad value, poor case and PSU though

• Advertisement

And would you build your own if you were given a parts list?

If not, the linked one isn't bad value, poor case and PSU though

I'd be willing to give it a go. Especially if it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tun_80

I buy everything from Amazon but only buy parts with "prime" so ya can ship with free super saver delivery!

At €700 I'd go
    i5 4460 €175
    GTX960 €220
    H81 board €50
    8gb RAM €40
    1tb HDD €50
    €50 on a case
    500w PSU €60
    120gb SSD €60
    Total €705

Double HDD, SSD, quality case and PSU

At €700 I'd go
    i5 4460 €175
    GTX960 €220
    H81 board €50
    8gb RAM €40
    1tb HDD €50
    €50 on a case
    500w PSU €60
    120gb SSD €60
    Total €705

Double HDD, SSD, quality case and PSU

Sorry about the small size, but how about this? I picked it out prior to your response.

pc10.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. What's the final price?

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that. What's the final price?

€642 after tax + shipping.

You might as well get a 1tb WD Blue for €50 there, and the Sharkoon case isn't in stock, I hadn't looked at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I'd throw in a version of windows from a proper reseller, can even pick it up locally from a PCWorld/Currys. Better to take the money hit than to risk reddit keys.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    I'd throw in a version of windows from a proper reseller, can even pick it up locally from a PCWorld/Currys. Better to take the money hit than to risk reddit keys.

It's crazy, Curry's are selling OS's for €130 yet I can get one on ebay for €22. Unless it's a scam.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Windows-8-1-Professional-Pro-32-64-bit-license-key-FREE-UPGRADE-TO-WINDOWS-10-/262087344641?hash=item3d059f8201:g:hFcAAOSwT5tWGUkM

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's crazy, Curry's are selling OS's for €130 yet I can get one on ebay for €22. Unless it's a scam.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Windows-8-1-Professional-Pro-32-64-bit-license-key-FREE-UPGRADE-TO-WINDOWS-10-/262087344641?hash=item3d059f8201:g:hFcAAOSwT5tWGUkM

They're two very different things. The one from stores like Currys are retail versions that can be activated on any machine. That one from eBay is an OEM version that is locked to a specific Dell machine. It's not licensed to be used on any other machine bar the one it was sold with. Technically, using that license from eBay is the exact same as pirating a copy. It'll more than like still activate as normal but it could be deactivated by Microsoft at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

You can use Windows 8.1 OEM on multiple machines,changing hardware is not a problem either. Windows 7 OEM was tied to the motherboard it was installed on.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/windows-licensing-for-personal-use.aspx

Note the section under 8.1 which states:
    -Can only be used by one user at a time.
    -Can be transferred to new hardware, if removed from the prior PC.

Technically your breaking the ToS by using a OEM for a machine your building for yourself,OEM is only supposed to be used by someone/company who plan to sell the PC after its installation. With the seller being responsible for OS support not Microsoft,for a retail copy Microsoft are responsible for OS support. Hence the reduced price of the OEM version as Microsoft dont have to support it if you run into problems.

So you can install 8.1 multiple times on different machines,but only one machine at a time. But also you are breaking Microsofts ToS by doing it on machines that are for personal use.

Advertisement