Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Electrical Outlets

Options
  • 26-10-2015 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to move 2 electrical outlets from a 'side' wall to the 'back' wall of a living room, about 1.5-2m distance. (Essentially there is a 2 outlet socket on the left wall and right wall on each side of the living room)

Is this something that would need to have an electrician complete (under regulations etc), or could I do it myself?

Would it be considered an easy job for an electrician to do, or 'awkward'?

/T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

TeaServer wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to move 2 electrical outlets from a 'side' wall to the 'back' wall of a living room, about 1.5-2m distance. (Essentially there is a 2 outlet socket on the left wall and right wall on each side of the living room)

Is this something that would need to have an electrician complete (under regulations etc), or could I do it myself?

/T

It depends on the type of walls you are moving the sockets from and to. If they are block walls you will need to consider the work and costs involved in chasing, replastering and painting the walls. This will decide if it is an awkward job or an easy job. Electricians are generally very bad at plastering and repainting walls so you'll need to get someone else to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

/T

Is there a specific need to move the existing sockets, as you might be generating more work in re-finishing that wall. Could you not just get additional sockets installed on the wall where you need them?

As per above it will depend on a number of factors, wall/floor/ceiling construction. What's on the other side of the wall where you want the sockets, any other sockets? bungalow or 2 story house etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

Thanks for the replies.

A good point re why moving. I'm getting some wooden storage cabinets installed and the outlets are in the way. Moving them to the back wall will allow access through the cabinets. As the cabinets will cover the area being worked, I suppose there is no real need to 'finish' the area too nicely after moving.

I suppose the easiest is to get a couple of quotes and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Thanks for the replies.

A good point re why moving. I'm getting some wooden storage cabinets installed and the outlets are in the way. Moving them to the back wall will allow access through the cabinets. As the cabinets will cover the area being worked, I suppose there is no real need to 'finish' the area too nicely after moving.

I suppose the easiest is to get a couple of quotes and take it from there.

Leave the sockets behind the cabnets, they could come in handy if you wanted to fit some display lighting inside them. If the cabnets are ever removed re sockets will be there.

Just get two new ones fitted on the end wall.

Advertisement