Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card or motherboard not working

Options
  • 26-10-2015 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

Hi two days ago my pc lost it's video signal, sound was still playing though. Checked all the cables and everything was fine.

Restarted pc and everything was working.

Same thing happened today. Except restarting didn't help. Used a second monitor and VGA cable same problem.

Every time I restarted it I could hear the start up tones, but no video signal.

Took out the gpu, and reseated it. Still no video signal. Removed the graphics card and tried to see if I'd get a video signal from the on board gpu nothing. ( not to sure if there's a switch I'm supposed to press, to make the onboard gpu work when I removed the other gpu)

Any advice on what I should do next? I don't have another pc that I can test my gpu you in.

Am I best to bring it to a repair shop? Seems kind of a waste as if it needs a new motherboard or gpu. I'll probably get it myself and install it.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

empacher wrote: »
    Hi two days ago my pc lost it's video signal, sound was still playing though. Checked all the cables and everything was fine.

Restarted pc and everything was working.

Same thing happened today. Except restarting didn't help. Used a second monitor and VGA cable same problem.

Every time I restarted it I could hear the start up tones, but no video signal.

Took out the gpu, and reseated it. Still no video signal. Removed the graphics card and tried to see if I'd get a video signal from the on board gpu nothing. ( not to sure if there's a switch I'm supposed to press, to make the onboard gpu work when I removed the other gpu)

Any advice on what I should do next? I don't have another pc that I can test my gpu you in.

Am I best to bring it to a repair shop? Seems kind of a waste as if it needs a new motherboard or gpu. I'll probably get it myself and install it.

Thanks for any advice.

Can you test with another cable? Can you test the monitor with another source (laptop or something)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Think he used another vga cable.

1...Plug out main power cable. Hold down power button for 30 seconds to a minute.

2...Then try Take out the ram. Use one at a time.

3... Take out power cord, remove cmos battery for 15 minutes , switch jumpers, or hit switch depending on your Mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Think he used another vga cable.

1...Plug out main power cable. Hold down power button for 30 seconds to a minute.

2...Then try Take out the ram. Use one at a time.

3... Take out power cord, remove cmos battery for 15 minutes , switch jumpers, or hit switch depending on your Mobo.

Missed that alright. If confident the problem isn't with the monitor or cable, then strip back to the bare minimum (motherboard, CPU, 1 stick of ram, no hard drive or DVD drives or anything usb plugged in bar the keyboard) and see if you can get the bios up on the screen. If you can't, reset the bios (using the jumper or remove the battery for a few minutes) and try again. Do you have a motherboard speaker? Is it the windows start up sound you are hearing?

Advertisement