Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL2+ Broadband

Options
  • 27-10-2015 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭

hello can you inform me if the cabinet CNY1_E01 in Coolaney, county sligo is ADSL2+ enabled please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

hello can you inform me if the cabinet CNY1_E01 in Coolaney, county sligo is ADSL2+ enabled please?
    Hi Andy
    you can check out our nation wide roll out details here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

eir: Tony wrote: »
    Hi Andy
    you can check out our nation wide roll out details here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    Tony
    thanks for the link but That does not tell me whether the cabinet is ADSL2+ enabled at present it just says cabinet is planned for fibre in 2016

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭eir: Tony

Hi Andy
    Tony
    thanks for the link but That does not tell me whether the cabinet is ADSL2+ enabled at present it just says cabinet is planned for fibre in 2016
    True Andy, I will see if I can get this info for you. Be back tomorrow.
    Tony

Hi Andy
    Tony
    Tony
    any news today Tony?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Hi Andy
    Tony
    Tony
    any news today Tony?
    Hi Andy

No it's not NGB enabled unfortunately. The Cabinet in question is actually the exchange coolaney exchange (well, an exchange based cabinet to be more specific). There's no plans to suggest when it will be NGB enabled I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi Andy
    Tony
    Tony
    any news today Tony?
    Hi Andy

No it's not NGB enabled unfortunately. The Cabinet in question is actually the exchange coolaney exchange (well, an exchange based cabinet to be more specific). There's no plans to suggest when it will be NGB enabled I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Al
    OK thanks Tony - its most probably going to be enable when fibre to cabinet complete early part of next year then. Can you do one more favour and ask the technicians if its got capability of faster than G.DMT service then please - My router is showing its connected at G.DMT and im sure a few months back it was ADSL or ADSL2+ and not connected at G.DMT thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

OK thanks Tony - its most probably going to be enable when fibre to cabinet complete early part of next year then. Can you do one more favour and ask the technicians if its got capability of faster than G.DMT service then please - My router is showing its connected at G.DMT and im sure a few months back it was ADSL or ADSL2+ and not connected at G.DMT thanks.

G.DMT is ADSL. It's possible you were on ADSL2+ previously.

Hi Andy
    Tony
    Tony
    any news today Tony?
    Hi Andy

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Andy From Sligo

G.DMT is ADSL - Feel free to PM me your eir account number and I'll see if there's faster speeds available to your line.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Andy
    Tony
    Tony
    any news today Tony?
    Hi Andy

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Andy From Sligo

G.DMT is ADSL - Feel free to PM me your eir account number and I'll see if there's faster speeds available to your line.

Thanks
    Al
    thanks alan - im with Vodafone at home ADSL but they still use the eir infrastructure / lines but I suppose you are going to tell me I have to get in touch with vodafone seeing as we are not an eir customer (totally) - dont suppose you can tell me in any case what the fastest speed I should be able to get from the cabinet/exchange?

Thanks jay93  - so im a bit confused if ADSL2+ is only available on NGB exchange and Tony from eir says the cabinet isnt NGB - but Im pretty sure I was getting ADSL2+ (or 12mbps Down) and now only reporting G.DMT in the router setting 8mbps Down
    jay93 wrote: »

G.DMT is ADSL. It's possible you were on ADSL2+ previously.

• Advertisement

Hi Andy
    Tony
    Tony
    any news today Tony?
    Hi Andy

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Andy From Sligo

Thanks
    Al
    thanks alan - im with Vodafone at home ADSL but they still use the eir infrastructure / lines but I suppose you are going to tell me I have to get in touch with vodafone seeing as we are not an eir customer (totally) - dont suppose you can tell me in any case what the fastest speed I should be able to get from the cabinet/exchange?
    Hi Andy From Sligo

An exchange does not necessarily need to be NGB enabled to be ADSL2+ enabled - even though you're with another provider I can still do a test in your line to see how much your line should be able to get - it's not going to be pinpoint accurate but an indication is better than nothing. Feel free to PM me the number and I'll see what it qualifies for but you're right in terms of actually increasing the speeds - that's something that you will need to get on to your own provider for.

Al

Hi Andy From Sligo

An exchange does not necessarily need to be NGB enabled to be ADSL2+ enabled - even though you're with another provider I can still do a test in your line to see how much your line should be able to get - it's not going to be pinpoint accurate but an indication is better than nothing. Feel free to PM me the number and I'll see what it qualifies for but you're right in terms of actually increasing the speeds - that's something that you will need to get on to your own provider for.

Al
    thanks Al - just been on your https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ - popped in my phone number in the line checker and it said im in a standard broadband area , but that I can get speeds maximum of 20mbps dowload. I'm only approx 413metres from the village cabinet/exchange but my modem/router reports I am on G.DMT modulation at 8mbps down but a speed checker results give me i am running 6mbps - am pretty sure at one stage I was getting my modem said ADSL2+ and 12mbps down in the router settings, so I dont know why they have downgraded us to G.DMT - shall have to get in touch with them

Hi Andy From Sligo

Al
    thanks Al - just been on your https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ - popped in my phone number in the line checker and it said im in a standard broadband area , but that I can get speeds maximum of 20mbps dowload. I'm only approx 413metres from the village cabinet/exchange but my modem/router reports I am on G.DMT modulation at 8mbps down but a speed checker results give me i am running 6mbps - am pretty sure at one stage I was getting my modem said ADSL2+ and 12mbps down in the router settings, so I dont know why they have downgraded us to G.DMT - shall have to get in touch with them
    No problem Andy From Sligo

Yes, best to get in touch with them

Al

Thanks jay93  - so im a bit confused if ADSL2+ is only available on NGB exchange and Tony from eir says the cabinet isnt NGB - but Im pretty sure I was getting ADSL2+ (or 12mbps Down) and now only reporting G.DMT in the router setting 8mbps Down

Anything above 8Mb would be upto 24Mb connection which is ADSL2+ :) since you were getting 12Mb before that means you were on ADSL2+ 100% it seems Vodafone have bumped you down to ADSL either by mistake or to try make your connection more stable I'd get in contact with them for sure to ask them what's going on they should be able to move you back onto ADSL2+ this may involve an engineer from eir to goto the exchange your connected to though which may take a few days , good luck with getting it all fixed hopefully you get your service back to the speed it once was :)

Good advice there jay93 - cheers
    Al

Anything above 8Mb would be upto 24Mb connection which is ADSL2+ :) since you were getting 12Mb before that means you were on ADSL2+ 100% it seems Vodafone have bumped you down to ADSL either by mistake or to try make your connection more stable I'd get in contact with them for sure to ask them what's going on they should be able to move you back onto ADSL2+ this may involve an engineer from eir to goto the exchange your connected to though which may take a few days , good luck with getting it all fixed hopefully you get your service back to the speed it once was :)
    Thanks for that Jay - could it be possible to have a cabinet ADSL2 but not ADSL2+ enabled because ADSL has down 12mbps and 1mbps up I think. Vodafone says our cabinet is NOT ADSL2+ capable but it will be apparently next year when fibre to the cabinet is installed, but they have not let me know if its ADSL2 enabled currently. - im pretty sure I was seeing 12 down and 1 up in the router settings before at one stage .. unless I was dreaming it, but im pretty sure I wasnt. I was also getting a figure of around 840kbps upload  and 8mbps reported on speedtest.net pretty sure of it - but now getting 610kbps up and 6.68mbps down - would my router status settings had be telling me 12mbps down if the cabinet is not ADSL2 enabled and only G.DMT enabled or again was I dreaming it

Hi Andy From Sligo

What's important to note here is it's the exchange rather than the cabinet in play here - Ultimately it's the exchange that is either ADSL2 upgraded or not. Cabinet's really do not have a part to play in terms of ADSL2 and really only have a role in VDSL (fibre broadband).

Again, I can test your line to see what is the status of the exchange if you would like to PM me the number - or even the address :)

Al

Hi Andy From Sligo

What's important to note here is it's the exchange rather than the cabinet in play here - Ultimately it's the exchange that is either ADSL2 upgraded or not. Cabinet's really do not have a part to play in terms of ADSL2 and really only have a role in VDSL (fibre broadband).

Again, I can test your line to see what is the status of the exchange if you would like to PM me the number - or even the address :)

Al
    Thanks alan - I have just sent you a private message there with my details

Ah right I'm getting the cabinet mixed up with the exchange. I call our local cabinet in the village 'the exchange'. If it has any bearing the cabinet uses a wireless backhaul at the moment and fibre is going to be installed to the cabinet early in 2016 from the Collooney exchange which is fibre live at the moment.
    Hi Andy From Sligo

Al

Ah right I'm getting the cabinet mixed up with the exchange. I call our local cabinet in the village 'the exchange'. If it has any bearing the cabinet uses a wireless backhaul at the moment and fibre is going to be installed to the cabinet early in 2016 from the Collooney exchange which is fibre live at the moment.
    Hi Andy From Sligo

Al
    Cheers Andy :)

Al

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Jay - could it be possible to have a cabinet ADSL2 but not ADSL2+ enabled because ADSL has down 12mbps and 1mbps up I think. Vodafone says our cabinet is NOT ADSL2+ capable but it will be apparently next year when fibre to the cabinet is installed, but they have not let me know if its ADSL2 enabled currently. - im pretty sure I was seeing 12 down and 1 up in the router settings before at one stage .. unless I was dreaming it, but im pretty sure I wasnt. I was also getting a figure of around 840kbps upload  and 8mbps reported on speedtest.net pretty sure of it - but now getting 610kbps up and 6.68mbps down - would my router status settings had be telling me 12mbps down if the cabinet is not ADSL2 enabled and only G.DMT enabled or again was I dreaming it

Actually your right there ADSL2 is up to 12Mb whereas ADSL2+ is up to 24Mb. Did you get the line speed check done yet?

Actually your right there ADSL2 is up to 12Mb whereas ADSL2+ is up to 24Mb. Did you get the line speed check done yet?
    HI jay93

Yes I checked the line.

Cheers for your assistance here btw

AL

Advertisement