Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICYMI BMW Berlin 2016 Marathon Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Duanington wrote: »
    Looking at Krusty's suggestions:

1) Immediately after the race: There'll be lots of beer/pretzel/bratwurst stands and picnic tables, just outside the exit area. Maybe we could line-up some non-running volunteers to grab a table, bring an Irish flag and meet up for a couple of post-race beverages to swap stories of victory in the face of adversity? - still on for this

2) If the weather's nice, there's a pretty famous beer-garden called Prater Garden, that serves good German beer and food until 1am. There's a restaurant inside for heartier meals. It's about 3km away from the Brandenburg Gate (to use that as a reference landmark), but is well serviced by public transport. - probably out now given the forecast?

3) If the weather's not so great, another pretty famous spot is the German bar/restaurant: Gambrinus. Hearty German fare and lots of local German beers. 1.7kms from Brandenburg Gate, and a couple of stops on the S1, S2, etc. Like the look of this place

How do the non runners get to exit area?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

There is an area assigned by the first letter of your surname when people can go to meet up with the finishers after the event. It's huge but effective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

MacSwifty wrote: »
    There is an area assigned by the first letter of your surname when people can go to meet up with the finishers after the event. It's huge but effective

Cheers thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Best of luck everybody. Hope to see ye all for some victory pints ater.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Live on Bein 7 if you happen to be in that part of the world (cough - cough)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Is there a live tracker for this race? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

scargill wrote: »

http://results.scc-events.com/2016/?pid=tracking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Live on Bein 7 if you happen to be in that part of the world (cough - cough)

anyone got the english commentary?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

scargill wrote: »

On the website!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

dna_leri wrote: »

Thanks - it's a bit fiddly on the phone.
    I found an android app in the play store if anyone interested:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.corussoft.berlinmarathon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Double D through 15k in 1.04, seems to be running very steadily.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jebuz 20k on 2:31 pace
    Duanington thru 15k on 3:00 pace
    Loughie 15k 2:54
    Overpronator 15k 2:55
    Adrian 10k 3:27
    Tailgunner 5k 4:04
    Uvox 10k 3:48
    Davedanon 15k 3:10

Adrian 15k 3:27 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Cwgatling's negative split plan taking shape nicely, On for 82 half split.

Jebuz 25k 2:31
    Loughie 25k 2:55
    Overpronator 25k 2:55

Duanington halfway on 2:59
    Daved half 3:11
    Adrian half 3:26

uvox 15k 3:45

Tailgunner 10k 4:02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Bekele is back baby!!! 2:02.03, just 6 seconds away from the WR, possibly the best marathon I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

El Caballo wrote: »
    Bekele is back baby!!! 2:02.03, just 6 seconds away from the WR, possibly the best marathon I've seen.

Shouldn't that be 2:03:03

Jebuz thru 35k still on 2:31 pace
    Loughie and overpronator still on 2:55 thru 30k
    DD thru 30k on 2:59
    Adrian 25k 3:25
    DaveD 30k 3:12
    uvox 25k 3:44
    Tailgunner 15k 4:01

All very consistent so far, nice going.

Jebuz finishes 2:31:46
    Loughie 2:57:44
    Duanington 2:58:26 :cool:
    Overpronator 3:06:16
    Davedanon 3:20:22

Looks like things got tough in last 5-10k for some. Very consistent from jebuz, Loughie and Duanington (congrats on the sub-3).

Edit: Adrian in 3:26:56 - big PB I think. Congrats.

uvox 3:46:25
    Tailgunner 3:58:49 - excellent debut!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Murph_D wrote: »
    Jebuz finishes 2:31:46
    Loughie 2:57:44
    Duanington 2:58:26 :cool:
    Overpronator 3:06:16
    Davedanon 3:20:22

Looks like things got tough in last 5-10k for some. Very consistent from jebuz, Loughie and Duanington (congrats on the sub-3).

Edit: Adrian in 3:26:56 - big PB I think. Congrats.

Tailgunner 3:58:49 did I get that right? fantastic debut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Eau Rouge a superb PB in 2.34.56

Only just in the door from a hectic two days but first thing I checked.

What a beautiful time too, 23456!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Tough day for me yesterday. Cramping before halfway so was taken out of my hands. Fought it til about 16 or 17 miles but there was no coming back. Got very messy then, had to run walk the last 10-12k. Was a strange one, the body just shut down. Gutted but what can ya do. The marathon is a beast, racing them well is a tough balancing act.

Wasnt all bad, few pints with the crew from here sorted me out. Well done to all, some great performances like Mr DD and Jebuz. Savage.

In a jock today but more pints will sort that.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭loughie

Primary objective going into Berlin was to try and break 3 hours. I started training at end of June after doing triathlons and upped the mileage from 20 miles a week to 57. My Achilles blew up and I was 3 weeks off training. So really only got going at end of July. Got 7 solid weeks in, 4 x 20 plus long runs. Training seemed tougher this year than previous and didn't feel too confident of cracking 3 in Berlin. Ran Tullamore half and done 1:22:04 which gave a confidence boost that I could have a genuine crack. Still I was concerned about my endurance with a shortened training block. Tapered well and got down to my 'race weight'. Plan was to try and run 1:28:30 even splits. Checking in at each 5k planning 21 min 5k's all the way. First half I was hitting 5k a little ahead of schedule but felt great so didn't want to slow myself down (in hindsight probably should have!). Hit halfway in 1:27:22 which was over a minute too quick but this felt like jog at this stage. Kept working each 5k section and kept on pace. At 30k started to feel the first bit of discomfort in my legs but I was still moving well. At 35K my quads were tightening up and felt like okay this was going to be a battle. Just work to 40k mark....looking at the watch pace was moving toward 7:0x and I started to calculate what I needed to run last few miles. No panic yet but quads were getting worse and my stride was affected. Got to 40K quads now screaming after what was definitely my slowest 5k and just put head down dug in for last couple of k knowing if I keep going at the pace I was in. Took last corner and could see the Brandenburg gates which looked like about a mile up the road, looked at the watch and kept working. Put bit of a torturous burst up and through the gate and onto finish. 2:57:44. This was really a case of the Marathon doesn't start until 20 miles! I was grand up to that point and felt like someone hit a switch at 20 mile to turn the screw on my quads and said now let's see if you can keep going!! Delighted to break 3 again and avoid the paramedics and ambulances this year!

Done this race last 3 years, think it a brilliant race. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to run a race abroad. Its fast, flat and has super support all the way round. The start is excellent and the finish through brandenburg gate is a bit special.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

Where would be best to stay if doing this next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

colin32 wrote: »
    Where would be best to stay if doing this next year?
    Berlin has a fantastic transport infrastructure. You can stay pretty much anywhere, and get to the start pretty easily. If you'd prefer to avoid extra stress, stay somewhere within walking distance of the start. Look for a hotel or AirBNB apartment within 1-2kms of the Brandenburg Gate and you'll be grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunguska wrote: »
    Cwgatling's negative split plan taking shape nicely, On for 82 half split.

Saw his result on twitter. Great running. Is that a pb?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Saw his result on twitter. Great running. Is that a pb?
    Think he was just outside of it. Like 30 seconds or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Celtic Runner

Back to work today, I really had a great time in Berlin. What a great experience, from the Breakfast run to the finish line amazing atmosphere, great course. It was my 4th Marathon after Dublin twice and Paris last year. I nailed my PB by nearly 20 minute. The objective was 3.30 did 3.27 I m over the moon!

I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Whats anybody thats doing Dublin's plan re: training now after Berlin?

Advertisement