Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICYMI BMW Berlin 2016 Marathon Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BbSean

My Bro is in the video, ran past him and doesn't look like he even seen him, in the zone.

Mind you during DCM in 2012 he didn't see the guy jumping up and down in the gorilla suit outside the zoo. When someone from his club asked him did he see him he though they were taking the piss.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tang1 wrote: »
    TbL never mentioned being in Berlin at the weekend!!!

Was going to say it looks a bit like raycun...if ray had hair :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

General Patton could have been leading the 5th Army down Unter Den Linden in a Sherman tank and I wouldn't have noticed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Was going to say it looks a bit like raycun...if ray had hair :p

Ha, someone in the club said the same thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

Berlin was a great experience, found it tough going from 22miles on, I was like a piece of ice melting in the midday sun.. felt good over the first part of the race bar a phantom hip flexor pain from 8k-15k..once that disappeared I felt like I was doing OK, hitting my target miles or so i taught,realised at the halfway point the garmin was off and I was roughly 90 secs behind schedule.. kept chipping away but by 20miles I slipped off to almost 2mins by 22miles I knew I wasn't going to reach my target goal it was well outta reach n I was fading, eased off slightly n a mental battle ensued, body screamed to stop/head said no!! Stopped briefly at round 24mile marker to gulp some water.. shuffled along to the finish.. It was a massive learning curve for myself maybe I over reached my target, mite not of been as fit as I taught...if I look for reasons I'd find plenty but end of the day I managed pb so it was a positive experience in a lovely city plus I got to share the company n have a beer with some of you folks..
    Back to the streets tomorrow and hopefully I'll see some at dcm
    Notes for future:
    switch watch to kms if running abroad
    Don't rely on garmin, it's a watch not your friend
    Practice drinking from cups on the run!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

quick feet wrote: »
    switch watch to kms if running abroad

why? I would never switch if I hadn't trained to that unit of measurement? Miles all the way for me because that's how I base my pacing and my brain couldn't handle a change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

why? I would never switch if I hadn't trained to that unit of measurement? Miles all the way for me because that's how I base my pacing and my brain couldn't handle a change :)

So that you can meaningfully compare your watch distance/pace against physical distance markers. Especially important in cities with tall buildings and trees. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

I'm a miles man myself,thru n thru ....but i was relying on the garmin too much.the last thing I wanted to b doing was some maths (simple or not) when I reached marker points and trying to see how far off target I was.. schoolboy error on my behalf n no need to fall out over It!! It was an observation and hopefully a lesson learned..
    On another note, for those doing dublin how's the legs holding Up? I tried a slow 13.1 today n felt pretty flat
    Did easy 8 last sat, 3m recovery, 8m tempo during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Ballot opens today for 2017......

Duanington wrote: »
    Ballot opens today for 2017......

has the price gone up for 2017 or am I just forgetting what I paid last year in a haze of excitement and hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

has the price gone up for 2017 or am I just forgetting what I paid last year in a haze of excitement and hope :)

Hmm, I think it looks similar enough to be honest..? (i.e. pricey)

Duanington wrote: »
    Hmm, I think it looks similar enough to be honest..? (i.e. pricey)

ok, i was just wondering. ah for a big city marathon that is so well organised I think it's reasonably priced, even if there is no t-shirt included in that price.
    For pricey see the NYC marathon.

I seem to remember it was €98 last year. Gone up by a tenner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I take it the chances of getting into this are similar to London?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No much better I'd say. Probably 50/50 at worst.

I got in first time , there is no bias against foreign runners (most runners are from outside Germany) and it doesn't have the huge charity element that london has.

Good chance of getting in if you apply I'd say and plenty of time to decide on another option if you are not successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Name in the hat! Let's try start a bit of race tourism. Never been to Berlin..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Just entered myself, was able to get a bit more mileage out of a flukey time from Boston '15 to avoid the lottery. Can't resist a trip back to Berlin :)

opus wrote: »
    Just entered myself, was able to get a bit more mileage out of a flukey time from Boston '15 to avoid the lottery. Can't resist a trip back to Berlin :)

You 'fluked' a sub-2.45?

Humblebrag! Mods!

davedanon wrote: »
    You 'fluked' a sub-2.45?

Humblebrag! Mods!

For my advanced years, a sub 2:55 does the job ;)

opus wrote: »
    For my advanced years, a sub 2:55 does the job ;)

Ah. didn't know there was 'good for age' in Berlin. How does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I was hoping there'd be a 50+ category, but alas no. 2,45 for u45 and 2.55 for o45.

davedanon wrote: »
    Ah. didn't know there was 'good for age' in Berlin. How does it work?

I didn't either 'til I spotted the info on the web page.
    Male Runners: under 2:45 hours – Age 45 and up (age group 1972 and older): under 2:55 hours
    Female runners: under 3:00 hours – Age 45 and up (age group 1972 and older): under 3:20 hours

some target. it would be the crowning achievement for me to manage that.

Anybody get notification yet through the lottery for 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Anybody get notification yet through the lottery for 2017?

Dec 1st no??

healy1835 wrote: »
    Dec 1st no??

As of from the 30th of November in email I received.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

As of from the 30th of November in email I received.

Oh right, email refreshing begins a day early so......

A couple of clubmates have received good news already. Few more (including me) still on tenterhooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »

You in Marty?

Advertisement