Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICYMI BMW Berlin 2016 Marathon Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I'm in too. Didn't want to tempt fate by booking a hotel early... regretting it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

tailgunner wrote: »
    I'm in too. Didn't want to tempt fate by booking a hotel early... regretting it now!

yeah me too, prices are a bit silly at the moment. I'm going to hold off and see if things calm down in the next few weeks (probably only going to get worse though :o).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I just booked flights. €277 in total for 2 people flying in to Tegel. and back home again, obvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've gone for an AirBNB studio apartment, a couple of hundred metres form the Brandenburg Gate. Works out at €275, for two people for three nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Gonna try and get in through the charity entry on the 7th. 60 bucks isn't a huge extra to pay. Probably racked that up in paying for extras (video, photos etc) at the Dublin marathon. At least it's going to charity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Went Airbnb last time €297 in the Plaza Luxemburg Rosa in the Mitte area - good value and right beside the U-bahn

The public transport system is excellent and flights from shannon in august were 110 return so not bad. Additionally it is reasonable to eat etc over there

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EM7

Is it a good idea to book flights now or wait for a sale next year? I'm just afraid the flight will get booked up because I can only fly over the day before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

EM7 wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to book flights now or wait for a sale next year? I'm just afraid the flight will get booked up because I can only fly over the day before the race.

tbh hotel is more important as there is a lot of events in the City that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

anyone get lucky with the 1000 extra charity entries this morning? it keeps crashing for me

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    anyone get lucky with the 1000 extra charity entries this morning? it keeps crashing for me

Crashing for me too. Made it as far as payment auth and it crashed. Didn't receive a confirmation email so am assuming it didn't go through

• Advertisement

paulers06 wrote: »
    Crashing for me too. Made it as far as payment auth and it crashed. Didn't receive a confirmation email so am assuming it didn't go through

I couldn't even get far, I got as far as filling out my details, this is what it is saying now... We are busy updating our online registration for you and will be back soon.
    Thank you for your understanding
    Your mika:timing team

dcorcaigh wrote: »
    I couldn't even get far, I got as far as filling out my details, this is what it is saying now... We are busy updating our online registration for you and will be back soon.
    Thank you for your understanding
    Your mika:timing team

I'm in! Website seems to be fine now

I'm in! Website seems to be fine now

also got in:).. delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

ffs...what a disaster this is. I have sitting here all morning trying to refresh and get in. I can now get in and option to register for the run event has disappeared, I assume the 1000 slots are probably now gone.

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    ffs...what a disaster this is. I have sitting here all morning trying to refresh and get in. I can now get in and option to register for the run event has disappeared, I assume the 1000 slots are probably now gone.

They sure are. Perhaps they could take a leaf out of Ballycotton's book and use a que system. I got all the way through and it failed. Suppose will have to just run sub 2:45 sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

I'm not in either... My third attempt! Considering Frankfurt instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

rom wrote: »
    They sure are. Perhaps they could take a leaf out of Ballycotton's book and use a que system. I got all the way through and it failed. Suppose will have to just run sub 2:45 sometime.

Perhaps we could offer ourselves to the organisers as the 2:45 pacers for Berlin. We can agree to pay a penalty fee if we dont come in on time.....
    Do you think that would work :D

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Perhaps we could offer ourselves to the organisers as the 2:45 pacers for Berlin. We can agree to pay a penalty fee if we dont come in on time.....
    Do you think that would work :D

Or you could go www.sportstravelinternational.com as the tour is now open. I'll do frankfurt or something otherwise.

Accommodation: 3 nights accommodation plus breakfast in an excellent 4 star hotel located in the heart of Berlin,

convenient for the race start/finish and within easy reach of all of Berlin's attractions. All rooms are en suite and have

cable TV, mini bar, direct dial telephone, hair dryer and room safe.

Included in your tour are

* Guaranteed Race Entry, including Breakfast Run Entry & Chip Rental

* 3 nights accommodation at 4* hotel, including all taxes (Fri 23 – Mon 26 September)

* Excellent buffet breakfast

* Guide services

* Security of a fully licensed and bonded travel agency

COST PER PERSON FOR THE 3 NIGHT ACCOMMODATION & ENTRY PACKAGE (Euro)

Runner Non-runner

Twin or double sharing: €545 €409

Single: €749 €613 (limited availability)

Triple: €510 €365 (limited availability) - 3 person bookings only.

If you have your own entry you are welcome to join us and the non-runner price applies to your booking.

Extra nights are available on request. Cost per person per extra night:

Twin or double sharing: €102 . Single: €170 Triple: €89

You may request a room upgrade to deluxe room for a supplement of €30 per room per night.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

rom wrote: »
    Or you could go www.sportstravelinternational.com as the tour is now open. I'll do frankfurt or something otherwise.

Accommodation: 3 nights accommodation plus breakfast in an excellent 4 star hotel located in the heart of Berlin,

convenient for the race start/finish and within easy reach of all of Berlin's attractions. All rooms are en suite and have

cable TV, mini bar, direct dial telephone, hair dryer and room safe.

Included in your tour are

* Guaranteed Race Entry, including Breakfast Run Entry & Chip Rental

* 3 nights accommodation at 4* hotel, including all taxes (Fri 23 – Mon 26 September)

* Excellent buffet breakfast

* Guide services

* Security of a fully licensed and bonded travel agency

COST PER PERSON FOR THE 3 NIGHT ACCOMMODATION & ENTRY PACKAGE (Euro)

Runner Non-runner

Twin or double sharing: €545 €409

Single: €749 €613 (limited availability)

Triple: €510 €365 (limited availability) - 3 person bookings only.

If you have your own entry you are welcome to join us and the non-runner price applies to your booking.

Extra nights are available on request. Cost per person per extra night:

Twin or double sharing: €102 . Single: €170 Triple: €89

You may request a room upgrade to deluxe room for a supplement of €30 per room per night.

Thats not bad at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I didn't get into Berlin either. Didn't try the charities route, don't think I will, but I know others who have succeeded that way.

We (i.e., myself and another who also failed to get entry) have a theory that maybe if we had bough merch along with just the plain old application we might have fared better. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. Just bad luck...

I'll attempt the Berlin 100 instead...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Psychosis

uvox wrote: »
    I didn't get into Berlin either. Didn't try the charities route, don't think I will, but I know others who have succeeded that way.

We (i.e., myself and another who also failed to get entry) have a theory that maybe if we had bough merch along with just the plain old application we might have fared better. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. Just bad luck...

I'll attempt the Berlin 100 instead...:)

Confirmed, bought extra merch and got in myself. . . . . . . .

Psychosis wrote: »
    Thats not bad at all

You'd have to get your own flight too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Psychosis wrote: »
    Confirmed, bought extra merch and got in myself. . . . . . . .

Ah, here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

going to do the sports travel international route myself went to start ticking the majors off my list

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

uvox wrote: »

I bought the merchandise, still didn't get in. I expect it is just a ballot. It would be interesting to know how many actually apply and how many places are available in the ballot, so you could figure out what the percentage success rate is likely to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

tmh106 wrote: »
    I bought the merchandise, still didn't get in. I expect it is just a ballot. It would be interesting to know how many actually apply and how many places are available in the ballot, so you could figure out what the percentage success rate is likely to be.

A small sample size, admittedly, but 8 people in our club entered the lottery, and only one got in (me!).

I've a feeling they allocate places by country so they can have athletes coming from all over. For instance, everyone I know who entered the Tokyo marathon got in. Probably because not many would have applied from Ireland. I'd say the chances of getting into Berlin are better if applying from outside of Europe

I've a feeling they allocate places by country so they can have athletes coming from all over. For instance, everyone I know who entered the Tokyo marathon got in. Probably because not many would have applied from Ireland. I'd say the chances of getting into Berlin are better if applying from outside of Europe

We ( me and 2 friends) applied from Malta as a team, thinking the same, that they may not be many applicant from Malta... didn't get it

lmguillou wrote: »
    We ( me and 2 friends) applied from Malta as a team, thinking the same, that they may not be many applicant from Malta... didn't get it

MIsread your message, I d say you re right...from outside Europe definitely more chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭An_Reathai

lmguillou wrote: »
    MIsread your message, I d say you re right...from outside Europe definitely more chance!

According to the organisers, last year 74,000 entered the lottery for 40,000 places.

http://www.bmw-berlin-marathon.com/en/news-and-media/news/2013/10/16/74707-registered-for-the-2014-bmw-berlinmarathon-lottery.html

Advertisement