Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICYMI BMW Berlin 2016 Marathon Open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭lmguillou

An_Reathai wrote: »

The lottery is for 30,000 I think as they keep 10,000 for charity and Tour organisers...Makes it very hard to get it :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought pretty much everyone who applied got in last year? Certainly our club had a fair few going over.

That link refers to 2014 when you could enter without paying so loads of people would apply and not race.

For last year you had to give payment information and they would automatically deduct payment so I'm sure less people applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Has anyone had payment taken for this yet? The email said to expect it within a couple of days, but that's over two weeks ago now. Don't want to be stung when I've forgotten about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

tailgunner wrote: »
    Has anyone had payment taken for this yet? The email said to expect it within a couple of days, but that's over two weeks ago now. Don't want to be stung when I've forgotten about it...
    Came out of my account this morning...I'd say watch your account over the next few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I was wondering that myself so I sent an email, it came out yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I was one of the late charity entries on the 7th and they took payment from me yesterday. Received an email prior to that saying that payment wouldn't be taken before the 15th

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

rom wrote: »
    Or you could go www.sportstravelinternational.com as the tour is now open. I'll do frankfurt or something otherwise.

Accommodation: 3 nights accommodation plus breakfast in an excellent 4 star hotel located in the heart of Berlin,

convenient for the race start/finish and within easy reach of all of Berlin's attractions. All rooms are en suite and have

cable TV, mini bar, direct dial telephone, hair dryer and room safe.

Included in your tour are

* Guaranteed Race Entry, including Breakfast Run Entry & Chip Rental

* 3 nights accommodation at 4* hotel, including all taxes (Fri 23 – Mon 26 September)

* Excellent buffet breakfast

* Guide services

* Security of a fully licensed and bonded travel agency

COST PER PERSON FOR THE 3 NIGHT ACCOMMODATION & ENTRY PACKAGE (Euro)

Runner Non-runner

Twin or double sharing: €545 €409

Single: €749 €613 (limited availability)

Triple: €510 €365 (limited availability) - 3 person bookings only.

If you have your own entry you are welcome to join us and the non-runner price applies to your booking.

Extra nights are available on request. Cost per person per extra night:

Twin or double sharing: €102 . Single: €170 Triple: €89

You may request a room upgrade to deluxe room for a supplement of €30 per room per night.

That's actually quite good. I might opt for that if I'm not travelling with anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Any recommendations for hotels that are good location for the marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I think I am going to go with air bnb for this, appears to be a good few options near start/finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ruu wrote: »
    I think I am going to go with air bnb for this, appears to be a good few options near start/finish.

I tried the Air BnB route but I was new to the site and the ID validation step was, well prohibitive. My drivers licence failed to upload and basically I gave up on it.

I booked a hotel in Charlottenburg, something like €140 per night, aint cheap but it's peace of mind now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Any recommendations for hotels that are good location for the marathon?

many people have told me that the public transport system is so good in Berlin that you don't necessarily have to be within close proximity to the start/finish line.

rom wrote: »
    Or you could go www.sportstravelinternational.com as the tour is now open. I'll do frankfurt or something otherwise.

Accommodation: 3 nights accommodation plus breakfast in an excellent 4 star hotel located in the heart of Berlin,

convenient for the race start/finish and within easy reach of all of Berlin's attractions. All rooms are en suite and have

cable TV, mini bar, direct dial telephone, hair dryer and room safe.

Included in your tour are

* Guaranteed Race Entry, including Breakfast Run Entry & Chip Rental

* 3 nights accommodation at 4* hotel, including all taxes (Fri 23 – Mon 26 September)

* Excellent buffet breakfast

* Guide services

* Security of a fully licensed and bonded travel agency

COST PER PERSON FOR THE 3 NIGHT ACCOMMODATION & ENTRY PACKAGE (Euro)

Runner Non-runner

Twin or double sharing: €545 €409

Single: €749 €613 (limited availability)

Triple: €510 €365 (limited availability) - 3 person bookings only.

If you have your own entry you are welcome to join us and the non-runner price applies to your booking.

Extra nights are available on request. Cost per person per extra night:

Twin or double sharing: €102 . Single: €170 Triple: €89

You may request a room upgrade to deluxe room for a supplement of €30 per room per night.

Just signed up for Berlin through this operator, I have to say compared what they offer versus other operators, it s good value...Now I can't wait, after Paris last year, I m really looking forward to this marathon!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I notice flights seem to be cheaper now than they were a few months ago,

adrian522 wrote: »
    I notice flights seem to be cheaper now than they were a few months ago,

Yes, I booked mine last week as there was an aerlingus return flight for less than 140eur with departure early Friday and back Monday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 4 surfdec

going to book mine today. Those from Ireland, are yous going out Friday, back Monday morning or the late Monday night. Pity Aer Lingus get back so late on Monday nt.

I'm on the late Friday flight out, no return flight yet, may leave it until Tuesday or else head to somewhere closeby to relax for a few days before going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 The Celtic Runner

Anyone training for Berlin marathon in Phoenix during this summer? It would be nice to have a training group aiming for the same marathon.
    I made my 18 weeks plan which will start end of May but I'm starting buiding up mileage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Celtic Runner, have you got a goal/target time in mind for Berlin? Given that there will be a number of marathons taking place around the time, might be a easier to find other runners who are close in terms of target times, rather than aiming for participants in a particular race, but always good to put names to faces before heading over to an international marathon.

Hi Celtic Runner, have you got a goal/target time in mind for Berlin? Given that there will be a number of marathons taking place around the time, might be a easier to find other runners who are close in terms of target times, rather than aiming for participants in a particular race, but always good to put names to faces before heading over to an international marathon.

Hi Krusty_Clown, my PB is 3h54 in Dublin but for Berlin I'm hoping for a sub 3h40. I would run my LSR between 5.30 and 6.00min/km
    Cheers

There'll be a lot of people heading towards DCM at that time as well so the novices/improvers threads will be a good place to organise meet ups

• Advertisement

Don't actually want to run this, but anyway, is it Aer Lingus I should be flying with? Ryanair fly to different airport?

Don't actually want to run this, but anyway, is it Aer Lingus I should be flying with? Ryanair fly to different airport?

I flew Aer Lingus because the time suited me better, they fly to Tegel airport. Ryanair fly to the other airport alright (Schonenfeld I think) but I've no idea which is better for access to the city (or the expo).

I'm assuming both are handy enough to get into town from tough.

There'll be a lot of people heading towards DCM at that time as well so the novices/improvers threads will be a good place to organise meet ups

I cannot actually find any improvers threads... I used to follow the novice one for my first 2 marathons in Dublin but since I never found any other. I am probably not using this forum efficiently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Tegel is closer to the city than Schonefeld, but both are handy enough for access yeah. Flying to Schonefeld myself.

I cannot actually find any improvers threads... I used to follow the novice one for my first 2 marathons in Dublin but since I never found any other. I am probably not using this forum efficiently :)

I don't know of any improver thread either. There is a group training thread or something where people arrange to run together.

Can't find a link to it now though.

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58403098

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Thinking of trying the Boston Marathon 22 wk plan for Berlin. Ran 3:38:51 in Rotterdam but am hoping to get it down to 3:30 and a BQ.

Any thoughts on the plan or other suggestions? I like how varied it is. Did Smart Coach for my last 2 marathons and was a bit bored with it.

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/boston-marathon-training-plan/level-four.aspx

They seemed to have changed their plans recently. I did one before when they just had beginner/Intermediate/Advanced,

I did the Intermediate and I found it very good. Plenty of marathon paced miles in the mid week runs and good bit of 10K pace runs too.

Edit: It may be worth posting in the Random running questions thread to get repsonses from people who wouldn't be reading this thread.

May be a while since we had improver threads actually. We definitely used to have them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Another tour of the local wine-bars?

• Advertisement

Another tour of the local wine-bars?

Sure, confirmed as way more fun than this running lark. :)

Advertisement